• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

iPhone v3 Monday? Lots available via Software Update today

Tenex

Distinguished Member
There are 6 updates available today covering iLife, iDVD, Airport, iMovie, iPhoto and Digital Camera Raw (~220Mb) which leads me to think that the iPhone v3 software is going to be launched next week at WWDC possibly as early as Monday.

I wonder if the phone will be available too or shipping by the end of the month? Any thoughts on Monday vs next week vs end of June?

Uncommonly informative too :clap:

iLife Support -- this is for iLife '09, iWork '09 and Aperture 2 users and it addresses some memory leaks, custom folder issues with Media Browser and maintaining the correct image date when importing from iPhoto to Aperture.
iDVD gets an update to fix an issue where iDVD is unable to add a title/comment to an image. Recommended for all iDVD 7 users.
iMovie now supports 720p AVCHD Lite cameras and camcorders and some other issues.
iPhoto -- some fixes to publishing to MobileMe, Flickr and Facebook, slideshow playback and location GPS in emailed and exported JPEGs See About iPhoto 8.0.3
Digital Camera RAW update -- RAW support for iPhoto '08, iPhoto '09 and Aperture 2 for various Canon, Nikon and Olympus cameras.

Last edited:

markuswarren

My 2 pennies worth:

If there is a new iPhone then the release date for OS 3 will coincide with the release date for the new iPhone. It's possible it will be an "available now" affair, but I think we'll see simply an announcement of a release, probably for July. As far as I know there have been no mentions of funky boxes turning up at stores, though it's possible that could happen over the weekend, or first thing Monday, I doubt it.

I can't see OS 3 being released prior to a new iPhone coming out, it would make more sense to finalize OS 3 and then release it for all devices that can run it, rather than to release it, find issues, fix and release another update, and then have the new phone come out with an OS that has been updated, thus users would need to immediately upgrade, which isn't a good end user experience.

If there is no new iPhone then I think OS 3 will be released as final at WWDC

Tenex

Distinguished Member
There are reports of Jobs returning late June and the return to be linked to a "product event".

Pisto_Grih

Distinguished Member
My 2 pennies worth:

If there is a new iPhone then the release date for OS 3 will coincide with the release date for the new iPhone. It's possible it will be an "available now" affair, but I think we'll see simply an announcement of a release, probably for July. As far as I know there have been no mentions of funky boxes turning up at stores, though it's possible that could happen over the weekend, or first thing Monday, I doubt it.

I can't see OS 3 being released prior to a new iPhone coming out, it would make more sense to finalize OS 3 and then release it for all devices that can run it, rather than to release it, find issues, fix and release another update, and then have the new phone come out with an OS that has been updated, thus users would need to immediately upgrade, which isn't a good end user experience.

If there is no new iPhone then I think OS 3 will be released as final at WWDC

I have a similar opinion, but I think OS 3 will be announced on Monday/Tuesday and available to download within another few days. The new iPhone announced around the same time, but the iPhone won't be available to buy until mid-July.

This is to avoid the overwhelmed server issues from last year when a lot of people were trying to get new software at the same time as activating iPhones and getting the update and it led to an even worse experience for the customer. I would prefer for them to release the software, iron out the bugs, then have the new iPhones relatively bug free when they are released.

louiseharman

I think that monday beta testers will get hold of the new beta as their has not been one in for few weeks and with all this talk on video and other things, would be silly to release it without testing it as a beta. Then in July the new iPhone and iPhone firmware will be released.

Fe_man2000

For what its worth I saw a screen shot from Carphone Warehouse stock computer showing new entries for 32GB iphone Black, 32GB iphone White. so I think it will be announced on monday but with a later release date but not much of a wait.

P-P-S-S

Sometimes i wish that Apple took their time a bit more when releasing new stuff. I still havent enjoyed my current iPhone properly.:D

Tenex

Distinguished Member
Suddenly so many rumours doing the rounds about the release: pricing Mossberg reckons a $149 rather than $99 etc; Jobs back at the end of the month so release it then; new version to be the "iPhone Video"; etc.

The Monday Keynote better not have tons of vendors touting their wares again or I'm killing the feed...

Yeh Dave, I have the version 1 iPhone hence my excitement on getting the new one :smashin:

cool! dont do what I did and go to the O2 store in cannon st at 6am!! :eek::rotfl::boring:

that said, ill probably do the same this year!:rolleyes:

Mind you.. these damn iphones are everywhere.. the mrs and I went out for dinner last night and EVERY swine had one!! where is the damn exclusivity?:rotfl: might have to get a vertu:eek:

D

Deleted member 27989

Tis true. I think the reason for this is that the iPhone is a serious fashion accessory as well as functional. It appeals to all.

No longer a fashion accessory when everybody has got one...It is getting too common for me to have another one after this contract is finished....No matter how good it is, I don't like everybody having one...Even the idiot on the train the other day who didn't realise that Internet access was included, he couldn't believe I was browsing all the time....:thumbsdow

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom