iPhone users switching to Galaxy S2...

mr.manchester

Ex Member
Reaction score
What do you think?

I've gone from a 3GS to an S2, granted I've only had it a day but I'm already beginning my love hate relationship with it.

I love the screen, it's amazingly clear, the sound quality and android itself seems superb.....now the handset itself is another story!

Although it's jam packed with features and it's super thin I can't help but think it feels so cheap in the hand almost as if it was fatter and heavier I'd like I more if you know what I mean?

Am I the only ex iPhone user feeling like this?

I know what your saying, I have an iPhone 4 and have had a HTC desire previously, my only real hang up is the quality of the apps/ choice.

It hasn't really improved with regards to mass Market apps such as games etc in the previous year since I've been away from Android, for free utility type apps it brilliant.

My complaints are more levelled at Android then the samsung, for functions it absolutely destroys the iPhone with choice.

The Galaxy s2 does feel cheaper then the iPhone but I prefer the lightness, my iPhone felt slow after using this.

My main gripe as I mentioned elsewhere is I have a super powerful phone that's let down by the quality of the apps

Yes it does feel thin and plastic.....but then I also thought the ip4 was to heavy and I always waited for the day I dropped it and the glass shattered..I thinking the SGS2might just float down like feather ;)

SGS2 does have a lovely screen tho. .I impressed with mine the ease of use without having having to JB a device to get some form of control

Main choice for me leaving iOS is flash, android os, more app stability, more customisation,

I've just gone from an iphone 4 to a S2. I think its the lightness of the phone that gives that impression, but I prefer it; it feels nicer in the hand, is lighter to hold so less tiring to use. The 4 had sharp edges and felt brick like even though it was quite thin. Any perceived shortfall is made up for the fact the screen is far bigger which makes it nicer to use IMO (the iphone 4 screen is very much too small for my needs).

So while I know where the OP is coming from, its a total non-issue for me. I like the lightweight construction, and I think it would be just as durable.

I've made my decision and the phones going back to phones4u, I just can't get used to it, the android side of things are fine it's the handset itself I don't like, it's feels to poorly made for me and I can see the 24 month contract out lasting the phone!

Maybe I should just stick to what I know, came back Apple all is forgiven! :hiya:

Hi All,

Just an update for people switching from the iPhone to SG 2, here are my observations after owning the phone for 4 days. I've now had a chance to properly play with it.

I've owned the following Smart phones Nokia e71, iPhone 3gs, HTC Desire, iPhone4 now the SG2.

GOOD POINTS

At first it felt cheap however I really like the lightness of the phone, the iPhone 4 screen now feels small. As an actual phone device it is leaps and bounds above the iPhone in my opinion, I will revaulate this over time as I still have an iPad 2 and the other half still has the Iphone 4. (IOS 5 has a lot to live up to)

Notification system is brilliant.

Gingerbread and the SG S2 fix the majority of issues I had with Android i.e. App2 to SD plus pitiful memory of the HTC desire.

The level of customisation is amazing, I installed launcher Pro from the Android market and I cannot believe how flexible it is, it makes my iPhone look like a very basic tool.

A few of the things I have customised

I now have a scrolling dock with the apps I use, I can click to open the App from the Dock but also swipe up to perform another action, an example being press the contact icon in the dock to open my contacts, if I swipe upwards on the same icon it will call voicemail. :D

Likewise I can have contacts I often call attached as a short cut on the homescreen.

Voice activation is also top notch and makes for great lazy browsing.

The other godsend it being able to turn bluetooth on and off from the homescreen, it drove me mad that I had to go to drill down on several menu's to do this on my iPhone 4.

Lock screen widgets are also amazing, I can change my music without having to unlock the phone first!!

Different sounds for different notifications i.e. twitter, facebook, e-mail, sms.

The other joy is being able to use websites that support flash, I could finally watch the BBC F1 website aftershow videos without having to get my laptop out.

Nearly all the apps are available on Android that I had on the iPhone, there are a few key exceptions such as TOMTOM (google Nav) is not as good but it works), App tracker (Finance Manager),

Lastly I love the PowerAmp MP3 player, it did cost me but it is the only MP3 player I have comes across that beats the iPhone one.

Battery life also appears the same as the iPhone 4 which is great, previous Android devices have suffered badly from this.

BAD POINTS

App store is no where near the iPhone App store, I don't care that Android has more free apps, most appear to be poor rip offs and clones. Where are all the major developers that are apparently developing for both?????

If you love Games do not give up your iphone, likewise general apps are not as good.

Google Nav is good but not as good as TOMTOM, CoPilot has poor routing, I paid for navigon ages ago but cannot get it back without paying money. I drive round the country to see customers so I have good experience of evaluating them all.

My new car is arriving in a few days days which will have sat nav built in so it's not a big deal.

Why are android equivalents so poor compared to IOS? Check out the trainline.com, Apple version is fantastic(you can download timetables)< Android version is awful!!! I have a top end dual core phone but I have to use Apps that look like they were designed for a spectrum!

This sounds harsh, there are some great utlities on the Android Market, I just get the impression Google really aren't that bothered with it, it looks very amateur and presentation isn't a patch on the app store.

Last point is the back button is very easy to hit when browsing in landscape (Small but irritating problem)

As it stands I will be selling my iPhone 4 and keeping the SG S2 :D The only thing the iPhone 4 has above it is the App store (please google develop this), I'm not as reliant on the apps any more as I can go directly to the lash enabled website.

I know you can do a lot of this by Jailbreaking the Iphone, I for one cannot be boothered with the constant battle against Apple to keep re jail breaking if you want more features.

Last edited:
Not sure what the beef is about the phone being very thin and light. I personally think it's a huge plus point. Where technology has become that advanced that so much power can be packed into something so thin, light, and understated.

I do a lot of web browsing on my phone, and to have such a paper light handset is fantastic, my hand doesnt ache holding it for an hour. The exceptional viewing angle and large vibrant screen make surfing such a joy compared to heavier handsets i have used.

I think making heavier andsets plays into the hands of those who feel a heavy phone must somehow be more premium. Sports cars are also very light.

Ironically its the galaxy phone that is far more durable than an iphone when dropped. The number of iphone users with cracked screens is staggering.

I also absolutely love the shape and design styling. Its extremely understated, a thin black slab, with no tacky shiny bling on to try to and big it up. It lulls people into assuming its some fairly standard fair unassuming phone, when laid across a table, until its turned on. Even using the phone at the gym or somewhere, people look at the phone in a little awe, due to the fantastic viewing angles and vibrancy with images litterally popping out of the screen. This is the best screen technology in the world, and will be used on TV screens in 5 years or so. This phone is the only phone to have it. It's very clear its something quite special, especially comapred to the hoards of people digging out their iphones whilst working out which has no element of exclusivity or specialness. I love people not knowing how super the phone is until its switched on.

Regarding the gaming side, have you looked a the gameloft website? All the HD titles are avaiable there and look fantastic on the screen like no other phone. Games like NOVA HD run so fluidly.

I personally prefer Google free sat nav above any other. Being able to speak your destination into your phone, and it decipher what you want to do, fire up the sat nav, and begin directing you within a few seconds is great. The cloud search means locations are found by placename within google cloud rather than address from a totom data file, which is great for say navingating to "leeds city museum", or nearest "kfc". Voice search, actual road name spoken directions, traffic management, and even a photo of the destination so you know youve parked directly outside

Just to let you know the latest TOMTOM on the iPhone has google search which works brilliantly, traffic is the best (it's not cheap though).

Have you ever tried using Google NAV in a rural location without reception :D

I used Google to get me to a customer in Pudsey and it as spot on to be fair, the route it choose back wasn't too optium but it's great as a freebie.

I agree with your comments on the lightness of the SG2 , I also find it more comfortable to hold then my iPhone despite being bigger.

I've always found Copilot to be a great SatNav... Seems to work a treat on my new S2 as well...

What do you think?

I've gone from a 3GS to an S2, granted I've only had it a day but I'm already beginning my love hate relationship with it.

I love the screen, it's amazingly clear, the sound quality and android itself seems superb.....now the handset itself is another story!

Although it's jam packed with features and it's super thin I can't help but think it feels so cheap in the hand almost as if it was fatter and heavier I'd like I more if you know what I mean?

Am I the only ex iPhone user feeling like this?

Currently running an iPhone 4, but looking to swap this over the next week for a SGS2 to have a play (if i can get a straight swap on the classifieds that is!)

Love iOS and Android in equal amounts and am not a fanboy in anyway, but just love to try out new gadgets.

Currently running an iPhone 4, but looking to swap this over the next week for a SGS2 to have a play (if i can get a straight swap on the classifieds that is!)

Love iOS and Android in equal amounts and am not a fanboy in anyway, but just love to try out new gadgets.

Me too, android was great, it was the handset that I didn't like.

Just swapped over to the GS2 from a iPhone 3G, with only a few minutes use I'm blown away. So fast no more waiting for apps to open, it just works!

Last edited:
I had a brief play with an S2 at CPW the other day. Im very impressed with the larger screen. It might just be a big enough size to watch TV series episodes - I find I can't keep my eyes concentrated on the smaller Iphone 4 screen to be able to watch a 20 mins episode of Family Guy for example.

All the specs and dual core processors doesnt really mean much - in the end its what you want to do with a smartphone that matters. for me the Iphone 4 is fine, for the moment. If I can find a decent Ipod-like music player on Android , and some decent kids games/entertainment apps, then it might be just enough to make me want one some time in the summer :)

I had a HTC desire for a while and I ended up selling it within 2 weeks because of some really annoying bugs and rubbish battery life, so I'm still a bit weary of jumping ship again to Android.

For other Iphone users interested in 'having a play', the larger CPW branches usually tend to have a 'live' version on display in store.

Just gone from 3GS after 2 years to S2.. and glad I did.. Iphone4 was simply not worth the upgrade costs, and tbh I was bored of the iphone iOS... Whilst I appreciate iOS is a more rugged OS, android is like a breath of fresh air! My 3GS was JB from day one which free'd it a little, but the S2 is simply awesome (and I hate that word, but for once no other word fits the bill!)

Whilst I agree it is somewhat light, and thin.. stick a decent case and protector on it, and its just like any other phone.. It will easily do me for 2 years!

Best phone Ive had!

excellent phone , i have had iphones for years and did try when the galaxy s came out to change over but was no good . i find the s2 excellent , the only thing i was worried about really was the fact i use yahoo email and on the galaxy i could not get it set up to notify me of and emails but on the s2 using the yahoo mail app its better than the iphone instant notification .... if your thinking of changing do it , you can even get apps to make it similar to the iphone as in display , keyboards etc etc .

Just got an email saying my s2 is gonally on it way after 2 weeks waiting for stock :) due in on the 21 which is tomorrow :)

Got mine yesterday had an iPhone since day 1. The iPhone 5 is going to have to be incredible to get anywhere near, and judging by the shambles of the 3GS and the emperors clothes 4 I don't think it's going to come close. This is coming from someone who has raved and persuaded others to get iPhones. What an incredible bit of kit this samsung is, I'm genuinely staggered at the screen compared to the iPhone 4. The king is dead long live the king.

Sent from my iPad I still love you apple but your going to have to share :)

Got mine yesterday had an iPhone since day 1. The iPhone 5 is going to have to be incredible to get anywhere near, and judging by the shambles of the 3GS and the emperors clothes 4 I don't think it's going to come close. This is coming from someone who has raved and persuaded others to get iPhones. What an incredible bit of kit this samsung is, I'm genuinely staggered at the screen compared to the iPhone 4. The king is dead long live the king.

Sent from my iPad I still love you apple but your going to have to share :)

Just bought one from the classifieds after selling my IP4 yesterday. Coming tuesday so i cant wait. Im the same mate, had all iphones since day one and only experience Android via a Nexus one so im really looking forward to this.

Addy, have you received your Galaxy S2 yet and if so how are you finding it after using an IPhone for so long? In the same boat, just ordered my S2 from Three on the One plan after owning an IPhone for a while, looking forward to receiving it but also slightly worried after using an IPhone, that I may be disappointed.

those moving from Iphone I think you'll be fine. Give it a few days not a few hours to get used to the OS and the marketplace, and the fact that theres more than one App Store.

This time last year Android was nowhere near as polished as iOS but I think its almost there now. I'm looking forward to getting an S2 very soon :)

Tip: if theres an app you use a lot in iOS, then google to find its Android equivalent. If the same app is not available on Android there most likely will be an equivalent somewhere. For example, I love biteSMS on iOS (jailbroken) and I was surprised to find that there is a similar app called crunchSMS on Android, and of course you dont have to jailbreak the thing to use it :)

Had mine for three days now, Previous phone was the Iphone 3GS) and I love it!
My only gripe is why don't Samsung us a standard mini usb cable.
going back to my Iphone, it now feels like "my first smartphone!"

Addy, have you received your Galaxy S2 yet and if so how are you finding it after using an IPhone for so long? In the same boat, just ordered my S2 from Three on the One plan after owning an IPhone for a while, looking forward to receiving it but also slightly worried after using an IPhone, that I may be disappointed.

Well had my S2 since tuesday and absolutely love it. Android has progressed nicely since the last time i used it. Everything just zips along nicely and i haven't had any performance issues no matter what i throw at it.

The one thing i always loved about the iphone was the great web browser but this just wipes the floor with it imo. pages load instantly and navigating/scrolling etc is silky smooth.
Also finally decent flash playback which again is a huge plus for me.

Good camera, media playback and plenty of customization available. The apps whilst there not being as much choice or quality as apples its plenty good enough for what i need.

Now the only complaint i have is the stock keyboard. for me its not as accurate as my ip4 and to be honest its bugging me a bit because when i try to type fast i end up making lots of mistakes that i never did on the iphone. It was my only real complaint i also had with thr nexus one and for me android still hasnt improved in this respect.

Is there any better keyboards out there? Recommendations please! :)

But besides that im loving the phone. iOS has got stale for me so im happy to stay in android land for now!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom