iPhone tethering question

KyleS1

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
At work, my iphone is connected to a wifi network that is off the company domain. Therefore I can access sites that are blocked on the company domain.My laptop doesn't have this connection.
Is there anyway to tether my laptop to my phone through USB etc so that it uses the phones wifi connection rather than cellular data?

I don't want to connect wirelessly to the iPhone as this auto connects the laptop to the iPhones cellular data.

Does that make sense?

What is stopping your laptop connecting to the same wifi? No wifi capability?

It's supposed to be for phones only, and you have to get MIS to add your mac address to get on it. However, it was introduced before our decent domain wifi, so no one else uses it.

Option: use a mac address bodger to give your laptop your phone's Mac address :)

I think generally you can't do what you are trying to do as it is logically pointless :)

Well my idea of turning off mobile data didn't work as it kills the hotspot :(

what is a hotspot ? not a good spot ;)

I know, that is the thing, it is logically pointless other than for devices that don't have wifi. I could just use mobile data but it will disappear very quickly.

I always thought the tethering worked by connecting the PC to the phone by wifi to utilise the phone's cellular data - used when you can't connect the PC directly to a Wifi AP.
As an aside - I assume your employer won't object to you connecting your laptop directly to t'internet, bypassing their network?

I know, that is the thing, it is logically pointless other than for devices that don't have wifi. I could just use mobile data but it will disappear very quickly.

Are there really devices without wifi in this day and age? Devices that can use the Internet?

Would your data go that quick? How much do you think you will use? I have 2gb and it lasted nearly a month using it as my near-sole source of internet over the summer.

It does work that way. You can also connect via bluetooth and USB. Was hoping the USB option could be configured so the wifi didn't switch off when you tether.

In theory they shouldn't care as it is my personal laptop and it is on a non domain network. That's what I'm sticking with anyway. :)

Are there really devices without wifi in this day and age? Devices that can use the Internet?

Would your data go that quick? How much do you think you will use? I have 2gb and it lasted nearly a month using it as my near-sole source of internet over the summer.
My desktop PC doesn't if I unplug the dongle. :)
I don't know how quick it will go, but i would assume running full desktop websites would eat it up pretty quick.

My desktop PC doesn't if I unplug the dongle. :)
I don't know how quick it will go, but i would assume running full desktop websites would eat it up pretty quick.
And if you plug in the dongle? :)

Give it a try - you might be surprised - how much data do you have?

I'm still trying to imagine someone coming into work, homing up their personal laptop and doing personal stuff on it - eyebrow raising for sure :)

And noting it isn't that the OP can't connect to the company Internet - just can't browse blocked sites. Assuming those are social media and YouTube I reckon it all makes perfect sense from a company point of view.

We aren't allowed to connect non company equipment to the network at all and wifi has disappeared as a security risk. Plus site blocking is in action so we just have to at least pretend to be working:devil::rotfl:

And if you plug in the dongle? :)

Give it a try - you might be surprised - how much data do you have?

I'm still trying to imagine someone coming into work, homing up their personal laptop and doing personal stuff on it - eyebrow raising for sure :)
I meant my desktop PC at home.
I have 3gb data.
Where I sit no one will see my personal laptop. I could use my company one if it was possible to get this to work, which I don't think it will.
I also appear to work in a faraday cage which doesn't help with mobile data.

And noting it isn't that the OP can't connect to the company Internet - just can't browse blocked sites. Assuming those are social media and YouTube I reckon it all makes perfect sense from a company point of view.

We aren't allowed to connect non company equipment to the network at all and wifi has disappeared as a security risk. Plus site blocking is in action so we just have to at least pretend to be working:devil::rotfl:
Yeah work laptop is on domain network. Sites are blocked. Personal phone is on non domain network, can access sites but screen is tiny.
I don't actually know if my laptop would connect, but I'd assume tethered to my phone, the network wouldn't see my laptop, just my phone?
Ha! Pretty sure I couldn't hide knocking one out at my desk!

At work, my iphone is connected to a wifi network that is off the company domain. Therefore I can access sites that are blocked on the company domain.My laptop doesn't have this connection.
Is there anyway to tether my laptop to my phone through USB etc so that it uses the phones wifi connection rather than cellular data?

I don't want to connect wirelessly to the iPhone as this auto connects the laptop to the iPhones cellular data.

Does that make sense?

You can't do that, the phone hotspot specifically sets up its own wifi network to use your mobile data, it wouldn't really make sense (or be possible as your phone can only function with one wifi network) for your phone to set up a wifi network that is connected to another wifi network.

The thinking is you would just directly connect to the first wifi network rather than wasting your phones battery to run a second wifi network that is just connected to the first wifi network.

You can't do that, the phone hotspot specifically sets up its own wifi network to use your mobile data, it wouldn't really make sense (or be possible as your phone can only function with one wifi network) for your phone to set up a wifi network that is connected to another wifi network.

The thinking is you would just directly connect to the first wifi network rather than wasting your phones battery to run a second wifi network that is just connected to the first wifi network.
You can connect via bluetooth or USB, so no reason why it shouldn't work. It would need only one wifi connection (to it's current network and not for other devices to connect to itself).
I still think your best options are

1. Just use your work computer!
2. (distant second) spoof your mac address: How (and Why) to Change Your MAC Address on Windows, Linux, and Mac
I can't. I cannot connect to that network on the work laptop.
Not sure I want to MAC spoof. Think I will just knock it on the head.
Also I only get GPRS from my desk on my phone. :(
It sounds like the work computers have a few policies applied and it may be they have managed not to allow users to get anywhere near spoofing the MAC address?
Yes probably, but don't fancy trying that.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom