iPhone SMS annoyances

MadaCup

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Does anyone else find the iPhone SMS interface aggrevating?

For example, I would like to view my messages in the conventional format without an IM style interface where I can view the messages from the chain. Is there anyway to turn this off?

Secondly, why can't I send a text to more than 1 person? I can't even find a way to forward the message.

Secondly, why can't I send a text to more than 1 person

yes, you can. Just tap on the recipient column and tap on '+' to add more recipient.

I love the threaded message view. I think it works so well.

What I don't like is the lack of a character counter, no function to forward or to send MMS.

"SMSD" works well for both forwarding, character counting and the traditional inbox/outbox style of storing messages

Is it me or does text messaging on this phone appear very basic...

I received a funny joke today which i want to forward on but for the life of me i can't work out how to do it or know if this facility exists.......

Another thing why is sending a message to lots of people such a task.

Agreed! I was trying to forward a message the other day and couldnt find how to do it! Maybe we need to push Apple for more advanced features in the next update...?

I knew about the lack of mms support but to not be able to forward a simple sms is unbelievable. If I jailbreak it are there any apps that let me do the afore mentioned things on my 3g version?

And nobody ever seems to mention the fact that the iPhone doesn't tell you how many SMS characters and texts you are sending! Every other phone in the world (ok, most of them!) tell you how many characters you have used and if you have gone in to 2 or 3 texts etc, I always found that handy so you can trim texts down to make them just 1 or 2 texts etc.

I can't see it ever appearing on the iphone though sadly.

I knew about the lack of mms support but to not be able to forward a simple sms is unbelievable. If I jailbreak it are there any apps that let me do the afore mentioned things on my 3g version?

Not sure if they have released a 2.0 compatible version yet, but "SMSD" will let you forward texts and also gives you a character counter when you are writing texts. It also lets you have the traditional inbox/outbox configuration rather than chat-bubble style

And nobody ever seems to mention the fact that the iPhone doesn't tell you how many SMS characters and texts you are sending!
If you bothered to search you would see this topic has already been done to death on this forum.

you dont need a text counter, with an iphone the lenght of the text does not matter..............it can be as long as you like, I phoned o2 and they said they only allow this for iphone users on an iphone contract

Is that for jailbroken phones only? I can't find it on the app store. :confused:

you dont need a text counter, with an iphone the lenght of the text does not matter..............it can be as long as you like, I phoned o2 and they said they only allow this for iphone users on an iphone contract

can anyone confirm that?

I've just rung the Iphone help line on 2302 from your Iphone or 0870 607 2302 and asked them regarding the above. And got told that One Speech bubble as it were on the Iphone if it's a very large bubble/msg when send the msg/bubble it will get counted as one or two or 3 txt messages depending on the size of the msg/bubble.
Hope this helps....:smashin:

Last edited:
You can send just about any length of SMS via any current mobile now anyway, its just that its split into 3,4 or whatever number of individual texts but received as one, I can't imagine the iPhone is any different, its the same mobile network that its running on as every other phone.

If you bothered to search you would see this topic has already been done to death on this forum.

Chill out Hutch!! You could be more polite about searching! I didn't create the thread so maybe you need to have a go at the OP (of the merged thread) as well for not searching?!!

Last edited:
Not having a "go" at anyone, just saying that this is one of the most widely discussed topics on the forum which has been discussed many times already.

Just challenging your comment that "nobody ever seems to mention the fact that the iPhone doesn't tell you how many SMS characters and texts you are sending", if people would search the forum prior to buying the iPhone and investigate the features properly then they would have read about this already and threads like this wouldnt keep being regurgitated, same with MMS as well.

:)

Last edited:
Not sure if they have released a 2.0 compatible version yet, but "SMSD" will let you forward texts and also gives you a character counter when you are writing texts. It also lets you have the traditional inbox/outbox configuration rather than chat-bubble style

Correct me if I,m wrong (I am quite often!), but SMSD was broken with 1.14, let alone 2.0. At least I couldn't get it to work with my jailbroken 2G iPhone - it just crashed back to 'desktop' after launch.

Texy

Not having a "go" at anyone, just saying that this is one of the most widely discussed topics on the forum which has been discussed many times already.

So it has, but if it is discussed even more hopefully someone from Apple or O2 might notice and sort out this childish infuriating flaw.:D

if people would search the forum prior to buying the iPhone and investigate the features properly then they would have read about this already and threads like this wouldnt keep being regurgitated, same with MMS as well.

Thats working on the assumption everyone plans their purchases logically, I myself went to Lakeside to goto the build-a-bear shop for my daughter. But came home with a stuffed bear called Holly AND a shiny new gadget. :D

Thats working on the assumption everyone plans their purchases logically, I myself went to Lakeside to goto the build-a-bear shop for my daughter. But came home with a stuffed bear called Holly AND a shiny new gadget. :D
:D

Correct me if I,m wrong (I am quite often!), but SMSD was broken with 1.14, let alone 2.0. At least I couldn't get it to work with my jailbroken 2G iPhone - it just crashed back to 'desktop' after launch.

Texy

Works just fine on my jailbroken 1.1.4 :thumbsup:

Having just upgraded from a Nokia 6300, I have now realised what function I am missing more than anything - the cancel sending button for SMS. You only get a couple of seconds to do it, but I have a number of times caught the send button before finishing writing the text on my iPhone and almost sent a text that would have got me into alot of trouble with a 'lady friend' but just managed to avoid touching send!!

Just challenging your comment that "nobody ever seems to mention the fact that the iPhone doesn't tell you how many SMS characters and texts you are sending", if people would search the forum prior to buying the iPhone and investigate the features properly then they would have read about this already and threads like this wouldnt keep being regurgitated, same with MMS as well.

Fair enough.

My wording was probably a little wrong in my original post which didnt help. I did know that some people had previously mentioned the lack of an SMS character counter but just meant that it doesn't get brought up a lot in threads, whereas things like SMS forwarding etc do.

Either way, lets hope they all get resolved sooner rather than later! :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom