Iphone sim unlocking?, iPhone xr worth it?

marvi0

Haven't used an iPhone for a while and my son wants one, so have a few question's.
Is the iPhone xr still a good phone in 2021? How's the battery life and how does it hold up with the latest ios as in the past, I am aware there have been issues with older phone models and apple new updates.

Also with sim unlocking, is it easy to do, as in the past I remember if you bought a network locked iPhone, it could only be unlocked via the network. Are there cheap unlock codes say on ebay, like android which cost under a fiver?

bransoj

Xr should be fine for a good few updates, i had my old 6S on the iOS14 with no issues.

In terms of Sim unlocking the only way to get it done reliably is via the original network it was locked on, lots of folk offering services to do it but I have doubts about how reliable they actually are. To be honest lots of networks stopped locking phones now anyway.

Upvote 0

marvi0

Xr should be fine for a good few updates, i had my old 6S on the iOS14 with no issues.

In terms of Sim unlocking the only way to get it done reliably is via the original network it was locked on, lots of folk offering services to do it but I have doubts about how reliable they actually are. To be honest lots of networks stopped locking phones now anyway.
Hmm many thanks. The unlocking part is what I'm concerned with as well, as apparently some eBay sellers are saying, it is possible to sim unlock but knowing iPhone and apple this might not be the case 😂..

Upvote 0

bransoj

To be honest if the phone is yours and needs unlocking it should just be a case of contact the network and ask for it to be done but as mentioned many dont even bother now locking in the first place now.

Upvote 0

Dave X

Hmm many thanks. The unlocking part is what I'm concerned with as well, as apparently some eBay sellers are saying, it is possible to sim unlock but knowing iPhone and apple this might not be the case 😂..

There are some “legit” unlockers on eBay, mostly for o2 and Vodafone though (legit in the respect they will organise an unlock through the right channels). If it’s EE it’s less likely (or very expensive) to find someone to do it. Having said that, if the phone is yours or bought from someone you know and trust you can simply phone EE and they’ll arrange the unlock for £8.99.

Upvote 0

marvi0

There are some “legit” unlockers on eBay, mostly for o2 and Vodafone though (legit in the respect they will organise an unlock through the right channels). If it’s EE it’s less likely (or very expensive) to find someone to do it. Having said that, if the phone is yours or bought from someone you know and trust you can simply phone EE and they’ll arrange the unlock for £8.99.
Hi thanks. Managed to pick up one on 02 in the end, which is my current network.

Upvote 0

Dave X

Hi thanks. Managed to pick up one on 02 in the end, which is my current network.

Having checked the o2 page there’s a very good chance that the phone is unlocked.

Since 1 August 2018, Apple devices bought directly from us are no longer locked.

The iPhone XR was only released on October 26, 2018.

Upvote 0

marvi0

Having checked the o2 page there’s a very good chance that the phone is unlocked.

The iPhone XR was only released on October 26, 2018.
Great thanks. I must say, its been an impressive and good experience, using an iPhone after years of android. Snappy phone a overall very good battery life.

Upvote 0

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung Micro LED, Mini LED, NEO QLED TVs and More: AVForums Podcast Interview
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom