Question iPhone ringing/notifications for calls received through apps (Skype, tugo, whatsapp)

PumpingtonSteel

Established Member
Reaction score
I run a number of lines through my iPhone, namely an O2 line in another phone through which I can (make and) receive calls (and texts) through the app, I have a SkypeIn number (an 0208 number that rings on the Skype app as a voice data call) and I can also receive calls through whatsapp (which I'm not at all bothered about, but is the most common of these apps so you might be familiar with this issue).

My problem is notification of incoming calls!! When the phone is in idle state (screen off and locked with code), which of course it is the majority of the time, it might not notify AT ALL! and at other times it may just vibrate. No message, just a sustained series of vibrations which means I have to unlock the phone, guess which app and open it and hopefully the call is still live and I can answer it!
If the phone is in use, I may get a banner notification of the incoming call.
And if I have the respective app open in the foreground (which is very rarely), it will ring as one would expect it to - sounds, caller ID, green and red answer options. I need this all the time - whatever I'm doing, if a call comes in, I need it to notify me! Android does this really well and I can't believe iOS fails so badly in this respect.

I wonder if this i'm missing an obvious (or hidden) trick? Or if this really is just a stupendous shortcoming with the system - perhaps iOS hogging incoming call function and not letting other apps access it?

thanks steroc. i forgot to mention that all notifications settings are ramped up to the max, both in general settings and where available, in the respective apps
ps i don't have permission to access the image. is it a screenshot of notification settings?

ps i don't have permission to access the image. is it a screenshot of notification settings?

It was supposed to be yes, but didn't work. Think there's a bug with the new iPhone app as a few people have reported being unable to post attachments. It tells me I don't have permission and I posted it.

You dont have Do Not Disturb turned on do you? Little crescent moon icon on the status bar. Its a bit of a punt the bit about being notified when the phone is in use but not when locked sounds a bit like the setting to silence calls and notifications when the phone is locked.

No - I've never used the do not disturb feature. Even on silent I'd expect it to vibrate and display on the screen. I have been testing the Skype on my android and it's temperamental but tugo and whatsapp calling is reliable (eg whatsapp desktop will tell me there's an incoming call on the mobile but the phone won't peep).
I'm considering taking it to a genius but I've found they're hesitant and uninformed when it comes to third party apps

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom