iPhone, replace or not replace?

jerryjal

Not sure if this should be posted here or the iPhone discussions section, I'll let the mods decide.

I have a 3GS which is jailbroken using blackra1n.

I have today noticed that I have two very small cracks around the dock at the bottom of the phone, now I realise that this is a common fault and should be replaced by Apple.

My phone has "SHSH's on file for iPhone OS: 3.0, 3.1 and 3.1.2" if I replace my phone I will obviously lose these files but more importantly will the replacement be one that will have to have the tethered jailbreak?

If that is the case then I may prefer to put up with the cracks, they are tiny and may not get worse.

Bottom line is that I don't want a "new bootroom" phone as I don't want the pain of a tethered jailbreak.

What would you do? :confused:

funkyspider

You could always get a quote for a non apple repair ?

If you mean the cracks are on the back of the phone then you could pop a case such as an incipio feather on.

I'd certainly prefer not to have a tethered Jailbreak, hence me staying with a 3G unless I can find a good condition pre-bootrom 3GS.

JonStatt

Not sure if this should be posted here or the iPhone discussions section, I'll let the mods decide.

I have a 3GS which is jailbroken using blackra1n.

I have today noticed that I have two very small cracks around the dock at the bottom of the phone, now I realise that this is a common fault and should be replaced by Apple.

My phone has "SHSH's on file for iPhone OS: 3.0, 3.1 and 3.1.2" if I replace my phone I will obviously lose these files but more importantly will the replacement be one that will have to have the tethered jailbreak?

If that is the case then I may prefer to put up with the cracks, they are tiny and may not get worse.

Bottom line is that I don't want a "new bootroom" phone as I don't want the pain of a tethered jailbreak.

What would you do? :confused:

I dont have an answer, but I can empathise with you as I am in exactly the same boat. I also have those two small cracks near the dock connector. Mine is unlocked now (from O2), but I still use jailbreak for

1) Landscape TV out - to enable Slingplayer etc to output to TV
2) 3G unrestrictor - to use Slingplayer over 3G
3) CallForwarding - to disable the call forwarded message that appears on T-mobile everytime you make a call
4) Tethering enable - I am legally allowed to tether with my T-mobile contract (WnW Plus) but T-mobile can't send the signal to the phone to enable the menu option.

If I get a replacement with the new boot ROM then I end up with a tethered jailbreak which would be very annoying.

So I am holding out in the hope of a new untethered jailbreak...then I will go to an Apple store and get it swapped out. In the meantime I am sticking with my current one as it still works and as I have a case on the phone, nobody can see the little cracks.

jerryjal

I have had a feather on since day one, the two cracks are coming from the dock at the bottom of the phone, one near the mic and the other near the speaker, they are around 3 or 4 mm in length.

Like you I don't want a new bootroom version but I would like to think that the replacement would be a refurb which would maybe be an older one??

JonStatt

Are they always refurbished phones? I guess they probably are. Those with experience of refurbishments...are they really as good as new? I am rather fussy on this.....

jerryjal

Are they always refurbished phones? I guess they probably are. Those with experience of refurbishments...are they really as good as new? I am rather fussy on this.....

I have heard elsewhere on here that the refurbs look and feel as good as new.

Has anyone recently exchanged their faulty 3GS for a refurb?
If so, could you please let me know what the 4th and 5th numbers of the serial number are as this may give me an idea whether I'm looking at a tethered jailbreak or not.

Many thanks in advance.

chrism_scotland

An Apple refub has always been really good, I know a lot of people who opt for refub stuff from Apple over new as its cheaper and just as good!

jerryjal

An Apple refub has always been really good, I know a lot of people who opt for refub stuff from Apple over new as its cheaper and just as good!

I have heard that the refurb gear is good quality, just curious to know how old they are for jailbreaking purposes.

RobM

Distinguished Member
I have heard that the refurb gear is good quality, just curious to know how old they are for jailbreaking purposes.

It's pot luck, but for info I had my white 3GS replaced under warranty a couple of weeks ago and sold it on here straight away. The new owner informs me it has the older bootrom so doesn't require a tethered JB.

I guess the longer you leave it, the more chance of getting a later version. All the refub stock is old versions that have been returned for any reason, brought back to new condition. The longer they do this, the newer the returned stock will be.

But as I say, it's pot luck.

ghost2003

It's pot luck, but for info I had my white 3GS replaced under warranty a couple of weeks ago and sold it on here straight away. The new owner informs me it has the older bootrom so doesn't require a tethered JB.

That is correct and very happy he is too.:clap:

jerryjal

One other point, I have now unlocked the phone through the official o2 unlock. Will I be able to get my replacement unlocked in the same way or will it now come unlocked based on the fact that there are now multiple service providers?

RobM

Distinguished Member
One other point, I have now unlocked the phone through the official o2 unlock. Will I be able to get my replacement unlocked in the same way or will it now come unlocked based on the fact that there are now multiple service providers?

When Apple process the warranty replacement, the fact the original handset is unlocked gets transferred to the replacement. It's done by the IMEI number. It takes an hour or so for the transfer to follow through to O2's database and you then follow the same process as the original unlock, in that you use a non-O2 SIM and Sync with iTunes.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom