iPhone pic help

scott178

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys I am looking for some info please, I was on holiday in London recently and took a picture of my kids outside Buckingham Palace. I really like the pic and was wondering is it possible for it to be enlarged or is the resolution too low. I tried to order a print online but it said the quality would be greatly reduced.
Any help would be appreciated.
IMG_1479226440.118658.jpg

Which iPhone did you shoot it with?
My iPhone 3 saved 1200x1600 pixel images
My iPhone 4S saved 2448x3264 pixel images

This table suggests my iPhone 3 pictures were good for at least a 7" print maybe even up to A4.
Resolution Guide For Quality Digital Photo Prints - PhotoBox

Your attachment is only 750x1334 pixels which suggests it got resized somewhere.
If you still have the original on your phone try emailing it to yourself at "actual size" or copying it off using a computer to get the best quality you have available.

Yes - what is the actual resolution of the original image and what size are you hoping to get it printed at ?

Even if the original image is "smallish" there are some software utilities that say they can artificially enhance the image to a larger resolution and still give "acceptable" results...

Jim

Thanks guys the copy I uploaded was cropped I have the original larger resolution on my PC I will copy to a USB and try again thanks for the help

As Jim says you can get software to enhance the resolution, within reason. Programs like lightroom analyse the image and add extra pixels where they think they should go.

Be aware that just resizing your image to a larger size won't improve the final print.
If you take a 200x300 pixel image and scale it to 2000x3000 your printing service will say the image is "good enough" because it's just pixel counting but the actual image won't be any better and the print will look blurry.

If you're struggling you may find someone in here with the relevant software can help you if you share the full size original.

Be aware that just resizing your image to a larger size won't improve the final print.
If you take a 200x300 pixel image and scale it to 2000x3000 your printing service will say the image is "good enough" because it's just pixel counting but the actual image won't be any better and the print will look blurry.

If you're struggling you may find someone in here with the relevant software can help you if you share the full size original.
What about upscaling in programs like LR, won't that help?

What about upscaling in programs like LR, won't that help?
It will definitely help. I'm sure you can do a better job in Lightroom than in something basic which just multiplies the pixel dimensions.
Playing with sharpening you can improve the look of the upscaled image but you can't create image information that wasn't there in the first place so there will be limits to how large you can print without it looking blocky/blurred.

Some of the "Zoom" packages use fancy algorithms to do more than just regular/mediocre/average" pixel upscaling - not commenting on the eventual quality achievable - just "saying" ;)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom