iphone payg internet.

Discussion in 'iPhone Forum' started by loll123, Feb 6, 2009.

Tags:
  1. loll123

loll123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Right, say if i was to buy an unlocked iphone, and put a o2/any other simcard in the iphone, would i be able to connect to my home router to access the internet without buying any other stuff?

and also, say if i was to buy a "3g o2 simcard" off ebay or somewhere (which aparently works with 2g) it says you'd get 12 months free unlimited wi-fi and web browsing... does web browsing mean like, i could get the internet anywhere i go with my iphone for free? whether in hotspot or not?

and wi-fi means that i could connect to the hotspots like restaurants etc?... well surely the iphone has wi-fi already without having to buy the "3g o2 simcard"

anyone care to enlighten me? please :D

2. ma1234

ma1234

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    You will be able to connect the phone to your wireless router and use your home Internet connection. This would also apply to wireless hotspots when out and about as long as you are able or have the inclusive connection as part of your deal.

The other point is, why mess about buying an unlocked phone from eBay, you may well have to pay a premium even though most of the unlocked phones are only software unlocked which you could do yourself any way. If you planning to run it on O2 just pick up a PAYG version and there will be no problem with the Internet use, activation or future updates etc. The phone can still be jailbroke should you want to install additional app from Cydia and/or the App. Store.
    The other option is a factory unlocked phone these do come with a very hefty premium but all sims should work ok and no future problems with updates etc.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2009
  3. loll123

loll123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, I would buy a brand new payg phone, but i don't have the money. I only have about 250 pounds to spend, otherwise i would buy a completely new phone. :(

But it's good to know that i can use my home internet. and if i have problems unlocking/jailbreaking and updating the software i'll just google for the fix.

and i'm not bothered whether i get an o2/unlocked phone, just looking for the cheapest really. because if i get an o2 phone i'll just put it the sim card i was on about for free wi-fi/web browsing 12 months.

and premium? what do you mean by premium got me stumped there. lmao

4. Cocacola

Cocacola

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I think the wifi and web is included on the sim card. I have just bought a new iPhone on PAYG with sim designed to give free wifi and web for 12 months. This is included in the price of PAYG monthly payment. So you get so many calls/ text etc at a cost of xx pence per minute, plus free access to your own wifi connection and other wifi connections when you are out and about included.
    Take a look at some of the tariffs here Tariffs - Mobiles & Tariffs - O2

If initial cost is an issue, have you thought about a recondition iPhone from o2? They still have 12 months guarantee.
    Maybe do a bit of research on the tariffs and a visit to o2 and Apple shop.

5. loll123

loll123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh thank you.

and i thought about a refurbished phone, i looked on the o2 website for them, but don't know if they'd do the iphone 2g refurbished in my nearest store.

6. johnelf

johnelf
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +106
    Hi

If you buy a new PAYG Iphone, it comes with 12 months free wifi, once you have put a £10 deposit on the sim card supplied.

If you but an Iphone from the likes of ebay, you will not get free wifi.
    The simplicity tariff clearly offers bolt ons for either free wifi or free data, but you cannot have both, unless the Iphone is new, as stated in my first para.

Of course, you can use the wifi in you own home for free, as you can in alot of public places now, McDonalds and Witherspoons for example.

Simplicity tarrifs here:- http://shop.o2.co.uk/sim-only-simplicity

And if you search this thread, you will see the Payg/Simplicity Option has been done to death!

John

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 10, 2009