iPhone Pay & Go

Ferguson9

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Im looking at getting an iPhone but was thinking of buying the iPhone but then getting a simplicity sim card from o2 and using this rather than a contract. Is this possible?

When looking online, I noticed on the o2 site something about minimum top ups each month? Would I have to do this as well as pay for my simplicity or will my simplicity count as a top up?

Hope someone can clarify it for me.

Thanks

Im looking at getting an iPhone but was thinking of buying the iPhone but then getting a simplicity sim card from o2 and using this rather than a contract. Is this possible?

When looking online, I noticed on the o2 site something about minimum top ups each month? Would I have to do this as well as pay for my simplicity or will my simplicity count as a top up?

Hope someone can clarify it for me.

Thanks

no, you only top up if your staying on pay and go

Thanks.

This is what Im looking at doing:

Buying a pay and go 3g iPhone = £400
Getting a simplicity sim = £20 per month for the following:
600mins
1000 texts
+ any bolt on (was thinking of Unlimited Web Bolt On)

I was going to go with the Unlimited Web Bolt On but then there is also an Unlimited Wi-Fi bolt on, whats the difference?

Will this give me the full capabilities of a 3g iPhone?

Thanks.

This is what Im looking at doing:

Buying a pay and go 3g iPhone = £400
Getting a simplicity sim = £20 per month for the following:
600mins
1000 texts
+ any bolt on (was thinking of Unlimited Web Bolt On)

I was going to go with the Unlimited Web Bolt On but then there is also an Unlimited Wi-Fi bolt on, whats the difference?

Will this give me the full capabilities of a 3g iPhone?

your best with the web one as with wifi you have to be in there wifi hotspot to use it.

Sorry if im asking a stupid question, but why would you need wifi if you have unlimited web? Or is unlimited web only in certain places?

Basically if I dont have unlimited wifi, will I be restricted of using the full features of a 3g iphone?

your best with the web one as with wifi you have to be in there wifi hotspot to use it.

Sorry if im asking a stupid question, but why would you need wifi if you have unlimited web? Or is unlimited web only in certain places?

Basically if I dont have unlimited wifi, will I be restricted of using the full features of a 3g iphone?

Unlimited Web is unlimited data transferred over the mobile network, i.e GPRS, EGDE, 3G and HSDPA. This is great for being on the move and needing data, but coverage, speed and even the ability to get a data signal to begin with vary greatly by area.

Unlimited WiFi gives you unlimited use of WiFi hotspots such as The Cloud and BT Openzone amongst others. This means if you're in a hotspot (pubs, McDonalds, service stations, airports, Starbucks / Costa to name but a few) you don't need to worry about the state of your mobile connection, you can browse via WiFi which will be more consistent and often quicker than you'll achieve over a mobile network.

It's important to note that you do not need the WiFi bundle to be able to use WiFi at home or anywhere that offers it for free. It's only for use at places that charge and have agreed that O2 can include it. There is a full list of hotspots on the O2 website; Google 'O2 WiFi Hotspots'

I'm on an O2 iPhone contract that offers both as part of the price and I find both fantastic and invaluable. The WiFi is awesome if you travel and also superb when out shopping with the Mrs' (just nipping to Starbucks for a coffee and to browse the web....) ;)

Thanks for the very detailed reply. Im really unsure now whether to get the simplicity sim or go with an iPhone contract. I wont use the Internet THAT much if im really honest but just hoping when I needed it I would be able to use it. I suppose if need be I could always add the unlimited wifi add on at a later date if I feel I need it couldnt I? That would still only come to £27.50 a month. Would this then give me full capabilities of the phone?

Thanks again

Unlimited Web is unlimited data transferred over the mobile network, i.e GPRS, EGDE, 3G and HSDPA. This is great for being on the move and needing data, but coverage, speed and even the ability to get a data signal to begin with vary greatly by area.

Unlimited WiFi gives you unlimited use of WiFi hotspots such as The Cloud and BT Openzone amongst others. This means if you're in a hotspot (pubs, McDonalds, service stations, airports, Starbucks / Costa to name but a few) you don't need to worry about the state of your mobile connection, you can browse via WiFi which will be more consistent and often quicker than you'll achieve over a mobile network.

It's important to note that you do not need the WiFi bundle to be able to use WiFi at home or anywhere that offers it for free. It's only for use at places that charge and have agreed that O2 can include it. There is a full list of hotspots on the O2 website; Google 'O2 WiFi Hotspots'

I'm on an O2 iPhone contract that offers both as part of the price and I find both fantastic and invaluable. The WiFi is awesome if you travel and also superb when out shopping with the Mrs' (just nipping to Starbucks for a coffee and to browse the web....) ;)

your probly best gettin iPhone contract so you have both and save 300-400pound in the process.

If you already have a simplicity sim with web bolt on and you buy a payg iphone cant you transfer the free wifi too the simplicity sim ?

I picked up an iPhone PAYG and use it via the Simplicity sim card on a £20/free data tariff - even got the 12 months free wi-fi as I simply registered my phone with the PAYG sim in via the BT Openzone/The Cloud hotspots. It then saves that info and you just swap the sim with the Simplicity sim. I sold my N95 and iPod Touch for £260 combined which paid for most of the phone. I'm now saving cash compared to my old £35 contract and am free to get the new iPhone next year as well as I'm not tied into a stupid 18 month deal that will have cost me way more than this deal does.

I had decided to go with the £35 per month contract and now you have gone and made me re-think, I really dont know what to do!!!

How much am I likely to get for my 16gb Ipod Touch, less than a year old?

I picked up an iPhone PAYG and use it via the Simplicity sim card on a £20/free data tariff - even got the 12 months free wi-fi as I simply registered my phone with the PAYG sim in via the BT Openzone/The Cloud hotspots. It then saves that info and you just swap the sim with the Simplicity sim. I sold my N95 and iPod Touch for £260 combined which paid for most of the phone. I'm now saving cash compared to my old £35 contract and am free to get the new iPhone next year as well as I'm not tied into a stupid 18 month deal that will have cost me way more than this deal does.

I was already on O2 payg on a Sony Ericsson W810i. I bought a second hand iphone 2G from ebay and put my payg Sim card in and activated it via itunes. O2 told me all I have to do is pop into an O2 shop and get a 3g Sim card and I will have all the facilities of a new 3G iphone. Seems simple enough.
iphones an ebay go for about £200 so it's a good bargain.:thumbsup:

I bought a second hand iphone 2G from ebay. O2 told me all I have to do is pop into an O2 shop and get a 3g Sim card and I will have all the facilities of a new 3G iphone.
No you wont im afraid, the only way you can get all the facilities of the 3G iPhone is with a 3G iPhone.

Last edited:
Seems the best option then is get the simplicity sim first with web bolt on +600 mins + 1000 txts then get the payg iPhone.As long as you can afford the £350-£400 upfront.

Last edited:
Thanks.

I think im going to go with the iPhone contract, seems easier and cant see me saving THAT much money by going with pay and go.

Now to sell my touch...if anyone wants it its now on sale in the classifieds forum

35 x 18 = £630 + £159 for the iPhone = £789

20 x 18 = £360 + £250 (if you sold the Touch for £150) for the iPhone = £610

You've also got the flexibility of selling this iPhone next summer as the Simplicity sim has only a 30 day contract and switching to the contract then :D

35 x 18 = £630 + £159 for the iPhone = £789

20 x 18 = £360 + £250 (if you sold the Touch for £150) for the iPhone = £610

You've also got the flexibility of selling this iPhone next summer as the Simplicity sim has only a 30 day contract and switching to the contract then :D

He wanted both bolt one though so that would bump it up over 18 months

Yeah, that would still only bring it to £736 but I dont know, I think for the matter of £50 or whatever I would rather just buy an iPhone contract.

But then on the other hand, I might not even get an iPhone, been looking at the C905, will decide once I see it in the shops.

He wanted both bolt one though so that would bump it up over 18 months

You need to add another £60 to the PAYG option as WIFI is only free for 12 months then 6 x £10 if the wifi is important to you.

The following is another way to look at it. Figures assume it is for a 16Gb 3G iPhone on contract.

Take the £45 per month contract which gets you the 16Gb iPhone for £59 (or the 8Gb is free).
Then I think that you can downgrade your tariff after 9 months to the £35 tariff. This give the following result.

9 months x £45 = £405
Add £59 for the 16Gb give total of £464

9 months x £35 = £315

Total for 18 months = £464 + £315 = £779.

This saves you £10 on a contract for £35 per month for 18 months.
(18 x £35 = £630 Add £159 for the phone = £789).

Not much of a saving but every little helps.

Plasmababby

Last edited:
I'm looking at doing a similar thing, getting the pay as you go iphone 3g, 8gb at £350 and i'm on simplicity at the moment.

currently i get 1000 texts, 400 mins (any network), unlimited 02 to 02. i would also then get the bolt on for unlimited web browsing, wifi is no big deal as i'd only be using free areas, ie my house!

I would get a contract if you got good amounts of texts/mins, but nothing comes close to the simplicity deal i'm on. so i think for 30£ a month and just buying the phone on payg would be a good deal, plus no 18month contract!

You need to add another £60 to the PAYG option as WIFI is only free for 12 months then 6 x £10 if the wifi is important to you.

The wi-fi is just a bonus for me - the 3G works fast enough for me any way in Liverpool City Centre and I may well move to the new iPhone next July on contract :)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom