iPhone on PAYG !! ??

Zincubus

Prominent Member
Reaction score
THe thing is I would want one on a pay as you go basis .

I have a Nokia N95 8Gb that I will sell to raise part of the cash to buy an iPhone.

So where's the best place to find a good deal for an PAYG IPhone ?

Ebay ?? What do you guys think ??

THe thing is I would want one on a pay as you go basis .

I have a Nokia N95 8Gb that I will sell to raise part of the cash to buy an iPhone.

Ebay ?? What do you guys think ??

Personally i would not go down the bay route.

I think that going to Apple direct is the safest bet, that way you can never have any warranty worries or issues.

I really want one but not on contract - PAYG - does it have to be an unlocked iphone for PAYG ??

I could do with trading in my Nokia N95 8GB at the same time -is there a trade place or something ??

I used this company to sell my N95 8gb a couple of months ago.

Sell, recycle and get cash for you mobile phone - Mobile Phone Xchange

Go online to get a price and sign up and they send an envelope to post the phone back to them. I found the service very efficient (I have no connection with the company) and the payment was pretty fast too. Highly recommended as a hassle-free way of getting a good price :thumbsup:

O2, Carphonewarehouse and Apple all sell brand new, out of the box, full warranty iPhone's on PAYG.

Apple Store (or your local O2 or CPW but you may find it more difficult to find one here)

I really want one but not on contract - PAYG - does it have to be an unlocked iphone for PAYG ??

No, currently you can only purchase a PAYG on O2 which inlcudes 12 months free internet access.

I have had the iPhone since day of release on PAYG and I would NEVER go back to a contract. With the 12 month free internet access on O2 it is a fantastic deal.

I signed up to this 2 weeks ago... Tariffs - O2 Pay monthly tariffs (800 mins + 1600 txts + unlimited Web) :thumbsup:

£19.58 x 12 = £234.96 - £100.00 (Quidco) = £134.96 div 12 = £11.24 PM

Been watching sealed 3G - 8GB go for £285.00 to £305.00 on Ebay. However waiting to pounce on a sub £280.00 sealed deal.

If i buy a 16GB 3GS for my wife on PAYG - can i then unlock the phone to allow her to use her normal tariff sim?

Is it easy to do?

If i buy a 16GB 3GS for my wife on PAYG - can i then unlock the phone to allow her to use her normal tariff sim?

Is it easy to do?
If she is on O2 then you don't need to unlock the phone - it will work with her SIM out of the box.

If she is on another network then it will be a question of luck of the draw if you buy an O2 PAYG iPhone 3GS. If it comes with firmware 3.0.1 or earlier then you should hopefully still be able to unlock it (though you will need access to a Mac to do it). If it comes with firmware 3.1 or later then you will be out of luck for now as then it will have the newer baseband which is currently unlockable. I doubt you will be able to find out beforehand which it has either.

Alternatively, you could wait to see what happens once Orange start selling the iPhone (should hopefully be sometime within the next month or so). They may offer it on PAYG too, and Apple may also start selling them unlocked themselves.

Thanks mate,

She does have an O2 contract - so she can just pop the sim in and it will work without unlocking etc??

that sounds perfect!

Yup - she'll be able to pop her existing O2 SIM in there and then just activate the iPhone in iTunes as normal. She will also need to make a few changes to the data settings on the phone as she isn't using one of the iPhone tariffs, as per this page on the O2 site.

Just be sure to add an unlimited web bolton to her existing tariff (if she doesn't have it already), as otherwise she will start racking up huge bills! A lot of the functions on the iPhone use data and it would be easy to use a lot of bandwidth without necessarily realising (not everyone will be savvy as to what uses data or not). The unlimited web bolton will cost an extra £7.34 a month but much safer than risking a bill running into the hundreds!

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom