iPhone lost - NOW FOUND :) Thanks all who posted

NooBish AbbZ 92

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
hi there,
missus lost her phone last night but had located it (dead) outside my house, after half hour of scouring the road no luck. This morning she has located it again and it's turned up in Standish (23 miles so entirely realistic)

It's now charged as i can phone it, and the icon is green as opposed to grey last night.

I'm working 11-10 today so i've got no time to get there but am planning on going up tomorrow morning(this is providing the signal stays in the same place) I have an exact address having located it.

What would be the best course of action/procedure? As said, I'm planning on going up tomorrow and stating that my mrs has lost her phone, located it to this address, really glad you've found it, something like that. If they turn me away could i get the police involved?

Just to note, the phone is passworded, shes also changed other passwords saved on the phone (facebook twitter, no bank details on there luckily)

My other thoughts are that they obviously have a cable, as the phone is now charged last night was dead, yet why haven't they removed the sim card, or restored the phone?

thanks all

I would knock on the door and politely say 'Hi can I have my iphone back that you took last night from such and such address at x time. If you don't give it to me I'll phone the police right now', and hold your hand out. The shock/surprise that you know they have it may well do the trick. If they don'y give it you smile broadly and say no problem. Call the police in front of them.

If you ring it, does anybody answer? They're probably hoping you ring it, they answer, and you can collect your phone.

Can you not 'brick' it remotely, should it come to that?

I would knock on the door and politely say 'Hi can I have my iphone back that you took last night from such and such address at x time. If you don't give it to me I'll phone the police right now', and hold your hand out. The shock/surprise that you know they have it may well do the trick. If they don'y give it you smile broadly and say no problem. Call the police in front of them.
I've just tweeted greater manchester police a few minutes ago to get the non-emergency number and any advice but thats what i was thinking.

If you ring it, does anybody answer? They're probably hoping you ring it, they answer, and you can collect your phone.

I've tried 3 times, mrs' dad has tried a few times

Can you not 'brick' it remotely, should it come to that?

I could but that would mean we wouldn't be able to locate it.

I would wait for the advise of the Police, you have no idea what you will be walking into, could end up nasty.

I would maybe text the phone with a full on Sob story

have just been through gumtree and ebay looking at most recently posted and doesn't seem to be any sign of it on there at the moment.

I would wait for the advise of the Police, you have no idea what you will be walking into, could end up nasty.
I think if he politely goes to the door and asks for it, I very much doubt it'll turn nasty from that. Going in all guns blazing obviously isn't going to have the same outcome.

no point? They wouldn't be able to get to them anyway as phone is keypad locked. :(
thanks all for the advice

Ok so sending a text wouldn't work either. If they are ignoring calls they obviously have no intention of giving it back. I'm not sure how small a area you have pinpointed it to but if it's to the house then personally I would do what I first suggested, if not I would go to the nearest police station to the location and get them to take action.

Last edited:
If it wasn't stolen, why would the police be involved?

Because the person who has found it has no intention of giving it back, you don't have to physically take something of someone for it to be 'stolen'.

no point? They wouldn't be able to get to them anyway as phone is keypad locked. :(
thanks all for the advice

Use lost mode on icloud, to display a contact number for them to contact.

iCloud: Use Lost Mode

Because the person who has found it has no intention of giving it back, you don't have to physically take something of someone for it to be 'stolen'.

You don' t know for definite they have no intention of giving it back, perhaps they have left it on charge hoping someone will call but have now gone to work so have no access to answer it.

I think if he politely goes to the door and asks for it, I very much doubt it'll turn nasty from that. Going in all guns blazing obviously isn't going to have the same outcome.

I'd be going to the door politely, but I'd have back up with big sticks with me, waiting in the wings.
If the exchange gets done in a polite manner, cool.
If not, then me going away gives them warning I might come back with a 'heavy mob' later.
I'd rather have the heavy mob with me right there and then, just in case.

Just knock on the door and before the person answers, call the phone. If it rings in the background just explain that you have located your phone at his address using the app and thank him/her for finding it.

They'll have nowhere to go, especially if it's ringing

You don' t know for definite they have no intention of giving it back, perhaps they have left it on charge hoping someone will call but have now gone to work so have no access to answer it.
Why didn't they drop it off to their nearset police station on their way to work? Or better still have knocked on some doors close to where they 'found it' or taken it to the police last night?

I don' t know, I'm not the one who found it, but I just find it sad that the majority of posters on the thread seem to be assuming the worst.

I would probably have charged it and hope somebody would contact the phone but apparently that would mean I'm most likely to be robbing it, so maybe best to take it to the police station and let them throw it in to the lost and found (never bothering to charge it). Leaving it entirely down to the original owner to trace it instead of giving them the chance to contact it and have it returned promptly.

I don' t know, I'm not the one who found it, but I just find it sad that the majority of posters on the thread seem to be assuming the worst.

My gut feeling is that they are bent.
Can't help it, call it experience with other similar scenarios.
This is why I'd be going there in a manner that made sure I only needed to go there once.
If it turns out they're not bent, happy days and the mates can stay in the car.

Its stolen, plain and simple. Sorry some on here aren't living in the real world.

If something of value is found and the finder doesn't take 'reasonable steps' to trace an owner, then its theft by finding.

The finder, found this phone and could have easily knocked on a few doors, taken it to the police station or taken it into any mobile phone shop that could find the owner.
Instead, they found it and took it 23 miles away.
The OP has rang it, so they could have answered it. Ok, it may be on silent, but it may still display a number on the phone of the call that they could call back.

If it was handed in to the police station they could take the sim out and find out who it belongs to that way, so wont just thow it in the lost and found cupboard to be forgotten about.

Go to the police station now (before it gets lost again or runs out of charge or destroyed). The police will go to the place where you believe it is and will ring it when there to see if it rings. They may even be able to search the house too.
Please don't go and try and get it back yourself (especially with the heavy mob), or you will be causing grief for yourself and letting them know that you know where it is, so they will probably throw it down the drain and destroy it completely before you have chance to return.

If they cant get it back then at least its now reported as stolen/lost, so you will stand more of a chance getting it back in the future or claiming for a new one. Take the IMEI number with you if you can.

Can you really narrow it down to an exact address? Assuming it's not one house in the middle of a field.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom