iPhone/iPod Touch - no PDA/Calendar?

Empgamer

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm 99% certain neither of these have a PDA/calendar capability? I've checked both their specs over fully and they don't seem to have it in any way and for me that would be a fairly crucial consideration in buying, certainly, the iPhone. I don't watch video much and while the other bells and whistles are nice to have there are aspects that I would need that it hasn't got.

As such, wait over, I suspect I'll look at going for a phone that does have the pda facility (and perhaps more functionality with less buy in needed than with the iPhone) and keep to a farily low spec flash based Ipod.

Shame really as I hoped the Touch would give me the option to truly go to a once device approach but being fairly reliant on a PDA likely the iPhone will not be a contender.

Not sure which bit your were looking at but they both have calendaring functions that sync with iCal or can be made to sync with outlook exchange calendars ... its the big red/white Calendar looking icon on the screens !!

Jon

Well blow me. I've spent ages trawling the screens and features trying to find these and couldn't anywhere. Perhaps I'm just suffering tech fatigue after the day!!!! I'll look tomorrow. Is that full cal support with to do lists and all that?

Earlier I had looked here:

http://www.apple.com/ipodtouch/features.html

No mention. I can see the icon on the screen but I would have thought the function would at least have had a mention. Tech Spec mentions nothing either. I'm not sure if the iPhone is the same but I didn't notice anything that drew attention to it. Will have a harder lok tomorrow.

Did a lot of searching on various forums and the calendar seems to sync well. Only thing that is clearly missing is Notes/Memos (which I use quite a lot). It would be nice to move to one device v an iPod, mobile phone and a Tungsten PDA and, given the seeming poor ability of most PDA or Phone/PDA to sync WELL with the MacBook, I may look at an iPhone and see if I can live without Notes (highly doubtful) or wait for it to be integrated or hacked and tough it out with what I've got, unsynced for now.

Think the phone does sync notes but the touch doesn't have notes installed ...

Jon

Rather than looking on forums, why don't you look on iCal on your mac and you will see that when you create an event, as well as having the facility for alarms to be given in advance, there is also the spacer for notes to be written.
T

There is via iCal for notes related to events, my understanding is that there is not a SEPARATE notes facility within the iPhone or iTouch. I am aware of what the Mac can do but that does not necessarily port of to either the iPhone or iPod Touch, hence the reason for looking at forums, part of their value I would have thought! Also because there are similar people trying to resolve similar queries and thus far, the myriad of posters do not seem to have found a separate Note function.

3rd icon from the left, 3rd row down ...

Jon

Attachments

• ipod_hero_iphone_20070905.jpg
    ipod_hero_iphone_20070905.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 75
Oh my! That's it then, iPhone it is. Pity I'll have to wait to get out to Abu Dhabi to get one.

Wonder if this is recent, there has been much concern and disdain over at both Mac Rumours and Mac Fourms over the lack of Notes? Do you know if that is an ap that Syncs with the Mac or, not knowing what the availablity of the iPhone will be in Abu Dhabi, if the iPod Touch has the same feature?

Not sure what their issue is ... notes have been in the iphone since launch ... but it is not in the touch ...

Jon

Hmmmmm. That may be what it is then , unless the Notes in iPhone are not 'syncable' with the Mac.

Looks like I'd have to wait until Jan 08 for the iPhone on 3G in Abu Dhabi anyway so I'll just hang fire for a while and monitor the forums. Something certainly seems to be 'up' with all the heated debate as to "Is the iPhone/Touch pod the new Mac PDA" on those forums. No smoke without fire perhaps?

Here it says that you can only add calender entries into your calender via your computer but no on the touch itself. See a bit of an annoying ommission to make.

Here it says that you can only add calender entries into your calender via your computer but no on the touch itself. See a bit of an annoying ommission to make.

oh well, that's saved me £200. I was going to buy the girlfriend one as she wanted a PDA, but not having this feature kind of screws that up a little. Apple can be silly some times:rolleyes:

Yep, I've done a lot of trawling over this and the iPhone seems to have far more functionality than the iPod Touch in this regard. I will need to check out whether input as opposed to just viewing is capable on the iPhone before I ultimately shell out.

AFAIK you can create a calendar entry on the iPhone and it will sync back to the mac - but will try it tonight and give you a definite answer ... unless Mr Plumb pops along and informs us from his iPhone ;-)

Jon

AFAIK you can create a calendar entry on the iPhone and it will sync back to the mac - but will try it tonight and give you a definite answer ... unless Mr Plumb pops along and informs us from his iPhone ;-)

Jon

I can do this with my Sony Ericson phone so I should hope you can do it with the iPhone. I'm pretty sure I read a review and it said you could.

This article here looks like it might be worth a read when it comes to Leopard and the iPhone.

Ok ... definite answer is *YES* ...

Caveat is that it creates/stores entries in a new iCal subset called iPhone so you can't set it to create an entry in 'home' or 'work' calendars ... but I would expect this to be changed/fixed in a future update of the iPhone software and/or iCal ...

Jon

Good article Craigy. The next article it refers to:

http://www.roughlydrafted.com/RD/RDM.Tech.Q3.07/7A96674D-44DE-492B-97F0-24E239BCD22A.html

indicates that iPhone does not synch Notes/Memos or To Do at the moment with the comment 'waiting for Leopard' next to both of them. I will see how that all pans out befre I buy. I hope it does all work out as I'd rather have the ability to sync something which works well rather than the Palm Tungsten which doesn't seem to work well in all cases and also seems to create problems when using iCal instead of Palm Desktop which I'm not keen on.

Well as its likely Leopard will be out before the iPhone over here then that aspect will be fully revealed ... had a good play last night with the iCal syncing and works well enough for me at the moment ... :)

Jon

Possibly longer for me as I will need something that works in Abu Dhabi. Likely Jan 2008 before it gets out over there I believe.

At least though planning to move to an iPhone will stop me wasting time trying to get the Tungsten T3 to sync well, for the space of just a few months. I do really need all the bits to work though, calendar, notes, to do etc etc. And for them all to be the SAME programme, not stand-alones.

Hmm. My only worry with these is that Apple do something by way of software upgrades that you might want/need that renders the phone useless if hacked. Expensive paperweight?

According to my local O2 shop they say they should have it available on 31/10, so not a long wait to have one that actually works with all its functionality in the UK....

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom