iPhone, iPod touch and separate iTunes - can you share an account

brumhee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My wife is always stealing my iPhone to play games and it is now getting a little annoying. :mad:

If I were to buy her an iPod Touch (she already has a nano) and set my iTunes account up on her computer would she be able to install the apps I have bought on her iPod touch.

My iPhone runs off my laptop and has never been plugged in to her computer, and we have seperate music libraries (hopefully soon to be resolved with the addition of a NAT drive).

Thanks for your help.:thumbsup:

This very question was asked and answered yesterday :nono:

Yes you can share accounts and Applications.

This very question was asked and answered yesterday :nono:

Yes you can share accounts and Applications.

Apologies I did have a search but with around 500 threads about how poor each different aspect of the iPhone 4 is or isn't its not very user friendly :thumbsdow

Apologies I did have a search but with around 500 threads about how poor each different aspect of the iPhone 4 is or isn't its not very user friendly :thumbsdow
haha too true, even the search function cant hide the whinging :D

Thing is though will it not get really frustrating when you attach your phone after your missus has been on? Only to find that most of your favourite Apps have disappeared and womanly flamin albums have been installed

Is there a way of getting out of this so that every time you attach each others phone you won't have that person specific set up (apps,music,videos) installed?

Thing is though will it not get really frustrating when you attach your phone after your missus has been on? Only to find that most of your favourite Apps have disappeared and womanly flamin albums have been installed

Is there a way of getting out of this so that every time you attach each others phone you won't have that person specific set up (apps,music,videos) installed?

The idea would be i have my laptop with itunes for my iphone and so when it plugs in it has no knowledge of my wifes computer with itunes and her iPod touch. Everything will still be separate and how she sets her iPod up won't affect my iPhone.

Thge only thing shared will be an iTunes account (on 2 separate computers) so she can access the apps I buy.

Its really no problem at all you have seperate playlists for your music and you control the apps on the device. You seem to be overthinking it Lee, its really very simple to share accounts with no problems, as I told you the other day, I didn't even think about it when I set it up and it all works just like I would expect it to with no problems of confusing setups between devices.

Its really no problem at all you have seperate playlists for your music and you control the apps on the device. You seem to be overthinking it Lee, its really very simple to share accounts with no problems, as I told you the other day, I didn't even think about it when I set it up and it all works just like I would expect it to with no problems of confusing setups between devices.

That's good to know as we have 1 mac with my iphone, my wife's ipod touch and now both my children want ipod touches for their birthdays. I was starting to get a bit twitchy over 4 divices linked to 1 itunes account.

I guess there must be some limit to the number of devices you can link to itunes accounts, but I've no idea what it is. Then again thinking about it Apple Ideally want you to have all their ipods, ipads, iphones etc and to always be updating them, so it would cause them problems if they limited you to a max number of devices.

Lisa says that we have both phones linked to separate accounts and it won't work :(:(
sorry I'm not thinking it through properly guys,
If I attach my phone and set up my apps, music etc will I have to uncheck something so that when she attaches her phone she won't get my dance albums and my apps on hers?

:blush::blush:

half of you will probably :suicide::suicide: lol

Now two accounts sharing apps, music I'm not sure about, but I can answer your other question - You set up two playlists (or more if you want) one with your music (Lees Iphone music) and one for your Wife/Partner (Lisas iphone music). You then on each iphone when connected to itunes select whichever phone to sync using only its particular playlist for the iphone.

As for apps, you organise your apps either on the iphone or in itunes when the iphone is connected. That setup will be unique to the particular iphone and will not be copied to the other. When you buy new apps they will initially appear on both phones (after syncing) but its fairly simply to delete if you don't want it on one of the phones.

If you hold the shift key when you start iTunes you can create a new library. Then you can both have separate libraries on the same computer. Just remember to hold shift to select which library you want to use each time

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom