Question iPhone/iPad thinks Soundbar is headphones?

Discussion in 'iPhone Forum' started by deans6571, Jul 11, 2019.

1. deans6571

deans6571

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +203
      As per the title really - I have a budget soundbar (can't recall the name/model right now as not at home!) that has bluetooth capability.

Its connected to my TV via optical cable but it also has Bluetooth functionality, however whenever I connect my iPhone/iPad, the connection takes place fine but both iPad and iPhone think the soundbar is a pair of headphones so of course, no sound comes out the soundbar when I try to playback music (even from different apps) from either device?!

I also tried this from a friend's iPhone and the same thing happened - the phone could 'see' the soundbar and connected to it but again, the phone thought the soundbar was a set of headphones so no sound came out the soundbar when we tried to playback some stuff??!

There are no settings on the soundbar that I can adjust as the bluetooth function is literally just ON/OFF in order to connect to other devices.

Additionally, I also have a smaller portable bluetooth speaker and this connects and playbacks music fine when connected to the same iPhone/iPad.

Really can't understand why my iDevices would incorrectly 'see' my soundbar as a set of headphones and not a normal speaker??!
      :confused::confused:

2. BM08

BM08

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +209
      That’s very strange, we have an LG soundbar connected to our tv via optical, and it plays back music via my iPhone no problem.

Might sound obvious but have you turned up the volume on the iPhone? What I’ve found is, for example when I watch tv the soundbar volume is usually on either 8 or 9 depending on the channel, but if I connect my phone to it via Bluetooth and play music, you can’t even hear it it’s that low. So firstly I turn up the volume on my iPhone to max, then normally you can hear the sound coming out of the soundbar, then after that I just turn up the soundbar volume until it’s loud enough.

It’s possible the same thing is happening with your soundbar too? It’s on the volume for tv but it’s very low and you just assumed it’s not working?

3. bransoj

bransoj

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +483
      Think when streaming via Bluetooth it does take the sound limit from the phone. I've had it in my car where i've tried streaming via Bluetooth, most of the time its via Carplay plugged in, and i have to turned the volume up on the phone for it to work.

4. Bl4ckGryph0n

Bl4ckGryph0n
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +17,333
      The profile that the iPhone chooses depends on the profile that your soundbar implements. It has nothing to do with the iPhone.

Regardless of that, just because it is a headphone profile that doesn't mean no sound can be played. It is most likely (in my opinion) that the volume is turned down on the iPhone and iPad for headphones. Did you try volume up? It gets me every time when I connect to a car for example :)