iPhone Help

Discussion in 'iPhone Forum' started by GuyScissorhands, Feb 1, 2009.

Tags:
  1. GuyScissorhands

GuyScissorhands
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi there,

I'm considering buying one after waiting around for ages. But some things needed clarifying. Okay, so Carephone Warehouse suggest Data Roaming is not included in their 'deal', while Apple's store seems to say it is included, are these therefore two different offers? I was under the impression the same price was covered for the various retailers, i.e. O2, CW, and Apple.
    In what ways do Data Roaming and Wi Fi differ, apart from the obvious. So if I were to check emails on the go, that would be Data or Wi Fi?
    Lastly if I were to use this phone abroad, would the data Wi Fi work the same way, or would it cost as an International rate? I take it only the phone calls should cost considerably more?

Any help is appreciated.

Guy

2. hutch

hutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,224
    Data Roaming is where you use data abroad, it is not included on any tariff.

WiFi is accessing a wireless network, you can access any wireless network you have the password for or O2 wifi network free of charge.

If you use data abroad you will be charged extortionate rates - dont do it!

3. GuyScissorhands

GuyScissorhands
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Would WiFi work abroad, depending on whether you are in a hotspot or not? Would my internet use abroad constitute a data roaming charge or a WiFi charge? And I suppose the network would change like it does with the phone so for example an O2 to AT&T, I presume the internet use would still be free?

4. ma1234

ma1234

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Would WiFi work abroad, depending on whether you are in a hotspot or not?
    Wifi will/should work ok abroad as long as you can connect to a free hotspot.

Would my internet use abroad constitute a data roaming charge or a WiFi charge?
    Depends on how you connect, if you connect using the local mobile network then all data would be considered as roaming and therefore chargeable, usually at rip-off rates. Using your Wifi connection data should be free of charge as long as there is no charge for connecting to the Wifi network.

And I suppose the network would change like it does with the phone so for example an O2 to AT&T, I presume the internet use would still be free?
    Not quite sure what you mean here but any data used when not on your home network i.e. O2 is classed as roaming and is chargeable. The iphone has within its menu the option to turn off data roaming to avoid big charges for data use. This won't affect using and connecting to a Wifi network.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2009