iPhone dual sim usability

neuty

Distinguished Member
Hi All,

Is anyone using an iPhone with dual sim? eSim and physical sim. How are you getting on with things like contacts, messages, Apps like WhatsApp and Facebook etc etc etc?

I have an iPhone XS and currently use an eSim. I have an iPhone SE as a work phone and am considering using my XS as dual sim.

Just trying to get opinions on this and if it works well for them. This is a great video, but these videos always assume that we use one line for personal and another for a data only line or for abroad. I essentially want to act as if two phones are now one.

Cheers

Vini

Watching with interest. I have a 12 Pro (personal) and an SE work phone. My work phone just forwards to my personal handset, so I have a semi expensive handset doing next to nothing.

I enquired if our work contracts supported eSIM to allow the setup you’re suggesting, but our corporate contract doesn’t yet allow eSIM.

Someone then suggested making my personal line the eSIM, and use the physical SIM from my work handset.

I’d do this, if the answers to your questions align with my desires. I’d also want to know if I can set the eSIM as the primary (as it were)...

Keen to hear how people find working this way!

neuty

Distinguished Member
I currently use eSim personal on my iPhone without any issues. I like in the video how the iMessages work. Ive watched a video on how to set up WhatsApp Business as the second line too.
My plans would be use iCloud for all personal details and Google for work. That keeps everything pretty separate. I would also use Outlook for work emails.

I dont use Facebook and social media via work, just messages, calls, emails.

Only tricky one for me would be photos. They would all end up on my main photos app mixed with personal and work.

Carl

Vini

I currently use eSim personal on my iPhone without any issues. I like in the video how the iMessages work. Ive watched a video on how to set up WhatsApp Business as the second line too.
My plans would be use iCloud for all personal details and Google for work. That keeps everything pretty separate. I would also use Outlook for work emails.

I dont use Facebook and social media via work, just messages, calls, emails.

Only tricky one for me would be photos. They would all end up on my main photos app mixed with personal and work.

Carl

I’d be very surprised if SIM separation can be defined like you’re asking.

That sounds more like device management (MDM).

neuty

Distinguished Member
I in know contacts will be mixed. I know call logs will be mixed. iMessage will be mixed too.
WhatsApp and emails can be separated using different apps. Keeping accounts separate between iCloud and Google will also work.
It stops cross transfer between.

Carl

tredman

Distinguished Member
I’ve been using a physical dual sim iPhone 11 for about a year - works well with no problems (better than android dual sim).

What do you want to know?

This is cool:

Attachments

• 5EF21102-73C8-4508-B99E-1BF54D5B504E.jpeg
    5EF21102-73C8-4508-B99E-1BF54D5B504E.jpeg
    83.5 KB · Views: 72

neuty

Distinguished Member
I’ve been using a physical dual sim iPhone 11 for about a year - works well with no problems (better than android dual sim).

What do you want to know?

This is cool:
If you do use WhatsApp do you have separate accounts on two apps?
Do you use two iCloud accounts? How do you keep accounts separate?

Cheers.

tredman

Distinguished Member
If you do use WhatsApp do you have separate accounts on two apps?
Do you use two iCloud accounts? How do you keep accounts separate?

Cheers.
I use WhatsApp for my personal sim and WhatsApp business for my work sim - it works well, only issue is I think you cannot back up one of them (though that may be sorted now - I’m not bothered).

I don’t really use iCloud much - photos back up via OneDrive and google. I doubt you can have two iCloud accounts though - can’t see any option for it. You can have 2 OneDrives though (personal and work). I’m not overly bothered about the odd work photo being backed up to my personal account. I guess you could see if there is a different camera type app if this is an issue?

One neat feature is that both sims can use Wi-Fi calling concurrently, iPhone supports smart data sim switching too if one loses connectivity. The calling is handled well (choose default sim, but able to define sim per contact and smart call back based on sim used to call inbound). Both sims can be registered and used for FaceTime and iMessage.

All in its very well thought through I think.

neuty

Distinguished Member
Cheers @tredman all very useful. I will look at moving everything work related to Google for pics etc as my personal account I use iCloud.
I assume when popping sim into the phone as the second line it will be considered as a new phone and there is no way to transfer data over like iMessages or anything else?

This is looking very achievable for what I would like.

Carl

tredman

Distinguished Member
Cheers @tredman all very useful. I will look at moving everything work related to Google for pics etc as my personal account I use iCloud.
I assume when popping sim into the phone as the second line it will be considered as a new phone and there is no way to transfer data over like iMessages or anything else?

This is looking very achievable for what I would like.

Carl
No, can only be linked to one Apple account, so whichever one is linked will have the ability to restore a backup.

neuty

Distinguished Member
One more thing.

@tredman do you have an Apple Watch? Just wondering if all calls, messages, emails etc come through on the watch too?

Carl

tredman

Distinguished Member
No, I prefer something with a battery life longer than the lifetime of an ice cube in Death Valley. I do, however, have a garmin watch which gets all calls, messages and notifications perfectly.

neuty

Distinguished Member
Well I've just popped my work physical sim into my personal iPhone XS. So far it has gone pretty simply.
Im using Outlook for work emails, Business WhatsApp for work messages. Ive kept work contacts in a Google account.

Hopefully this all works pretty well as @tredman has said it does for him.

Carl

neuty

Distinguished Member
Hitting my first snags. iMessages seem to want to suddenly swap to using my second number even though it's been using my personal number all along.
I have it set in contacts for default on the line I want it to use, but that doesn't help right now.
Only option I've found is disable second line in mobile data settings and this app was me to use my personal number again.

Any thoughts?

Carl

tredman

Distinguished Member
You can have both as iMessage - just choose default:

you can also choose for each contact too, click on the contact image then info to change.

neuty

Distinguished Member
You can have both as iMessage - just choose default:

you can also choose for each contact too, click on the contact image then info to change.
I have already chosen the default number to use in contact info, it's done this itself.
I've turned off data on line two and sent an iMessage. This has defaulted to the correct number. Then turned on data to line two which seems to have sorted it for now.

I can get over it at the moment and hopefully it sticks.

Cheers @tredman Carl

neuty

Distinguished Member
Watching with interest. I have a 12 Pro (personal) and an SE work phone. My work phone just forwards to my personal handset, so I have a semi expensive handset doing next to nothing.

I enquired if our work contracts supported eSIM to allow the setup you’re suggesting, but our corporate contract doesn’t yet allow eSIM.

Someone then suggested making my personal line the eSIM, and use the physical SIM from my work handset.

I’d do this, if the answers to your questions align with my desires. I’d also want to know if I can set the eSIM as the primary (as it were)...

Keen to hear how people find working this way!
@Vini all I can say is that it does work really well and as tried an has said it it the best dual sim offering and better than Android.

I have eSim for personal and physical sim for work. I have labelled each line as I want. I have had a couple of glitches with the messages app. This I realise now is because I had the same number in my personal and work contacts. I used seperate apps for work email and WhatsApp Business for work whatsapp.

No complaints here.

Carl

Vini

@Vini all I can say is that it does work really well and as tried an has said it it the best dual sim offering and better than Android.

I have eSim for personal and physical sim for work. I have labelled each line as I want. I have had a couple of glitches with the messages app. This I realise now is because I had the same number in my personal and work contacts. I used seperate apps for work email and WhatsApp Business for work whatsapp.

No complaints here.

Carl

I’ve initiated the SIM to eSIM swap process, so should be dual sim within 24 hours.

Let’s do this 😂

The added bonus to all this, is that as I specialize in EUC, I should be able to have a good play with MDM/MAM options 👍

Vini

I’ve initiated the SIM to eSIM swap process, so should be dual sim within 24 hours.

Let’s do this 😂

The added bonus to all this, is that as I specialize in EUC, I should be able to have a good play with MDM/MAM options 👍

Typically Vodafone have cocked up. They've kicked my physical off the network and I've not received my eSIM profile. Such fun.

I can't authenticate for app/web as its sending a OTP to my number, which I can't retrieve as my lines dead.

Edit: Seems the gripes and issues I faced with Vodafone over 10 years ago when I managed a fleet of devices are still prevalent. Jokers. Their system apparently had the wrong serial for my SIM (which they sent me? and has been active for 6 months), so the swap failed?! Now they need to post me a new SIM, to activate, to then perform the switch again. Which literally means I'm without a phone (signal), until this happens.

They made equally sizeable cockups when I tried to activate my Watch with them too. Absolutely terrible processes.

Last edited:

neuty

Distinguished Member
@Vini sorry you have had this happen. I hate to say it, I had the same thing and sadly it took 2 weeks to rectify as they had also disabled my personal number.
I'm sure yours will be simpler.

Carl

Vini

@Vini sorry you have had this happen. I hate to say it, I had the same thing and sadly it took 2 weeks to rectify as they had also disabled my personal number.
I'm sure yours will be simpler.

Carl

So I went to the Vodafone store yesterday, at the advice of their Telephone Support, as they said it would be the quickest way to get back up and running -- by them issuing me a new SIM.

Anyway, I sat with the folks in store, and explained the situation. I asked if they could simply register me directly to eSIM. Surely an eSIM holds similar characteristics to a real sim, albeit, virtually?

The guy said he'd had the training, but never actually done it for anyone, but was willing to give it a go. It wasn't like there was a huge queue!

10 minutes later, all was done and just as I was leaving the store, signal returned. Great...

After the hassle and stress, I thought nothing more of it. So have gone to stick my work SIM in today, and found that my old physical SIM was actually re-connected, so removing it, leaves me with no signal. It even shows on the Receipt he's given me, that he's used the serial from the Physical SIM :facepalm:

(I previously thought SIMs were one use + dead, so learn't something new --- also learnt in store, that in order to get a new SIM, you need a bank card and photo ID. Bit different from my days in corporate whereby you'd have 50 blank sims on hand ready to register)...

So, this is to be continued... I currently have a working phone (signal), YAY. Albeit on a physical SIM, boo.

To top all this off, my new Apple Watch has arrived, so I have the joys of battling the switch from old Watch to New, which will no doubt be a horrible pain!

neuty

Distinguished Member
So I went to the Vodafone store yesterday, at the advice of their Telephone Support, as they said it would be the quickest way to get back up and running -- by them issuing me a new SIM.

Anyway, I sat with the folks in store, and explained the situation. I asked if they could simply register me directly to eSIM. Surely an eSIM holds similar characteristics to a real sim, albeit, virtually?

The guy said he'd had the training, but never actually done it for anyone, but was willing to give it a go. It wasn't like there was a huge queue!

10 minutes later, all was done and just as I was leaving the store, signal returned. Great...

After the hassle and stress, I thought nothing more of it. So have gone to stick my work SIM in today, and found that my old physical SIM was actually re-connected, so removing it, leaves me with no signal. It even shows on the Receipt he's given me, that he's used the serial from the Physical SIM :facepalm:

(I previously thought SIMs were one use + dead, so learn't something new --- also learnt in store, that in order to get a new SIM, you need a bank card and photo ID. Bit different from my days in corporate whereby you'd have 50 blank sims on hand ready to register)...

So, this is to be continued... I currently have a working phone (signal), YAY. Albeit on a physical SIM, boo.

To top all this off, my new Apple Watch has arrived, so I have the joys of battling the switch from old Watch to New, which will no doubt be a horrible pain!
You can probably do a sim swap online now from physical to eSim now :D

Steven

Senior Moderator
Feel the pain. Had a thread on here back in the day about Vodafone not taking payment for a calendar year.

Vini

Ever since i managed Vodafone at a corporate level, I vowed never to touch them again. It’s just that at the time I wanted a connection for my watch Vodafone were most competitive.

Admittedly, the issues such as really bad signal etc, ie. the problems I faced back then, no longer appear to be an issue. But their CS and procedures are still terrible.

I still don’t see how/why they have the reputation they have in the business sector! The only thing my head goes to is that they’re located in the south, and most of my corporate dealings have been with businesses where their HQ is in the south. Anyway, whatever. Vodafone still suck in my eyes.

Back to my journey to dual-SIMdom. I did try again last night, at about 22:30. This time I used the App instead of the website, to perform the SIM swap.

This time things looked a little more positive. At least I received a QR code!

Scanning the QR on your phone via the phones camera is a little fiddly however 😂

I airdropped the QR to my Mac, scanned it. Only to be told the QR was invalid.

200992FD-0956-4B5A-97D8-65C3EBE65C9D.jpeg

Brilliant. So again, almost immediately signal was removed, and whilst I now had a QR code, it was useless. I hit up their forums and found this eSim problem, which is almost identical to my experience, in which I posted a lengthy reply with screenshots and the lot, only to wake this morning and find my reply has been deleted as spam?!

Of course, at that time of night Vodafone CS was closed, so at this point it was just a case of going to bed and seeing how it goes overnight. Fingers crossed.

Anyway. Alongside identifying my reply had been nuked in the forum, i found I’d received an email from Vodafone with a QR...

Thankfully this worked!

So the Tl:dr; is pretty much;

• use the app to perform a sim swap
  • do it just before bed/at a time you can be without connection for 1-24 hours
  • hope that the SIM profile lands within 1-24 hours

7F1C515E-24F7-4927-BF90-D4B49777CA58.png

Massive apologies to @neuty for Hijacking this thread! Maybe I can re read the OP and try to assist now 😂🙈

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

What's new on UK streaming services for December 2021
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Best Projectors of 2021 - Editor's Choice Awards
  • By Steve Withers
  • Published
Black Friday 2021: What you need to know
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Blu-ray Special - The Cinema of Zhang Yimou & Gong Li