Question Iphone, Deezer and Chomecast Audio

Nico72

Prominent Member
Reaction score
All,
I installed the Deezer app (without subscription) on my iPhone SE to cast to a Chromecast Audio.
It worked fine initially, but after a few weeks Deezer refuses to cast to the Chromecast, unless i pay a subscription. However it will be happy to cast to enabled Airplay receivers like my Amazon Fire TV, which unfortunately only has HDMI out.

So to work around the problem I bought a cheap Airport Express (the old Mk1 model, which plugs directly in a socket) on the auction site, with the aim of replacing the Chromecast.
Unfortunately I was unable to set up the Airport Express because the airport utility on my iPhone says that the Airport Express model is too old and incompatible. The software in the CD Rom that came with the Airport Express will do absolutely nothing when installed on a Windows laptop, and obviously I am not going to buy a Macbook just to set up a device that i paid £14 for.

So what are my options?
1) The second generation of Airport Express might work, but I'm not keen to pay in excess of £50 just to stream music from my iPhone.
2) Try another free streaming app? Will Spotify do what Deezer currently refuses to do? I quite like the Deezer Flow option though, but not enough to pay £13 a month for it.
3) Buy a cheap second hand android tablet or phone just to stream Deezer in the house? Will that solve the issue that Deezer has when running on the iPhone? (ie. refusing to cast to the chomecast)?
4) Give up with casting and use bluetooth instead? My arcam iRDAC II can do that, but is there further compression when using bluetooth compared to casting via wifi? Will it matter anyway when streaming 320kpbs MP3 files from Deezer?

Thanks a lot.
Nico

You could login into your Deezer account via Chrome on your Windows laptop and cast the audio to the Chromecast Audio.

Alternatively, get yourself a cheap /second hand Android phone or tablet, run the Google Home app to use its mirror function to cast the device's audio to the Chromecast Audio and then run the Deezer app.

Thanks Cebolla.
The android route sounds inviting. What release of android should i look at, which is not the latest but not ancient?
I know very little about android

The Google cast mirroring function came in with Android version 4.4 (KitKat), I believe. So if you can go with one version up, to 5.0 - 5.1 (Lollipop), or better still 6.0 (Marshmallow) as that's still supported by Google.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom