iphone Case recommendations?

Dony

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
(I'm putting this to the GC crowd first, but if necessary, please move to correct forum).

Work have supplied me with an iphone 6s and and ipad Air 2 and I'm looking for some case recommendations. I've been looking over the weekend and there are literally thousands so I'm after some AVF real life recommendations.

I want to keep the phone protected, but I'm worried the Otterbox Defender series are just too bulky for my needs. Are there other Otterbox products I should be considering? I'm not looking to spend more than £25.

Also, I've been supplied with the simple flip cover for the ipad but it offers little or no protection. What do everyday users of an ipad Air 2 have on their devices to kept them safe and scratch free?

Last edited:
— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
With the 2 recommended cases so far, I'll need screen protector's for each device. Am I best to go with genuine apple screen protectors or another brand?

Griffin Survivor are very good but may be out of budget. I picked up one for my iPad 2 from Ebay cheap. They do one for the phone too.

Last edited:
I really like the Snugg iPhone cases you get off Amazon. Use it as a wallet now which is great but can only really hold three cards max and no cash... who carries cash today anyway. I put on a screen protector as well..

@Dony Mrs IG says that the Universal ones don't always fit Universally :D This is what she bought most recently:

Besdata® Ultra Thin Magnetic Smart Cover + Back Case: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

She treats them as ablative armour and replaces them every couple of years if required. As in if you bang it the plastic shell will eventually crack while defending your Ipad.

Hers have always come with a screen protector, but she's never used one and has no sctratches on the screen.

I like the Media Devil screen protectors. They do a variety of styles, including mirror, anti-glare and a restricted view one which can't be overlooked from the side, which may be of use for your iPad if you have work stuff on there.
MediaDevil | Phone and Tablet Screen Protectors, Cases, and Covers

ps - they usually throw a couple of Maoams in with the order.. ;)

Griffin Survivor are very good but may be out of budget. I picked up one for my iPad 2 from Ebay cheap. They do one for the phone too.
I have a Griffin on my ipad, great case and all our work ones have them. Mine is now pretty battered, but when I remove it the ipad looks like new still.

You can buy an iPhone screen protector for £1 but they will get scratched. Best to buy a tempered glass screen protector for £5 and it will stay mint (for ages/ever?)

For her Ipad 2 Mrs IG uses one of these which protects the back as well as the front. There are several variants on the theme so I'm not sure exactly which one she has : JETech Gold Slim-Fit iPad Smart Cover Case for Apple: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

+1 for JETech protectors. I've had one on my past 2 iphones and I think they're an ideal toss-up between protection and bulk. The one on my phone probably adds approx 3mm of rubberised material around the outer edge of the phone and maybe 2mm on the back. No protection on the front, but I tend to buy the tempered glass protectors that are readily available on Amazon/ Ebay.

Bottom line with all phone/ device protection is; what's the worst case scenario it can expect to see and likelihood of that scenario actually occurring? I don't recall dropping a phone at all, yet some phones I've seen look like they've been used as a replacement ice hockey puck!

You can buy an iPhone screen protector for £1 but they will get scratched. Best to buy a tempered glass screen protector for £5 and it will stay mint (for ages/ever?)
Some good deals an eBay. I paid £1.60 for a tempered and it did a great job for years.

I recommend Snakehive leather cases for protection, quality and style (imho of course).

Recent post of mine @Samsung Galaxy S7 & S7 Edge ...
... had an unrelated scare when I dropped the phone on my parents brick-paved drive just after submitting their meter readings, but my Snakehive leather wallet case did a magnificent job in fully protecting it (case pics @ Post pictures of your recent purchases) and the tiny scuffs, though I'd hardly call them scuffs, have just blended into the vintage leather :thumbsup:
Their range of cases for your phone: Apple iPhone 6/6S (4.7")
(iPhone 6/6S version of my case: Vintage Chestnut Brown Leather Wallet - Apple iPhone 6/6S (4.7"))
- get 15% off with the code SPRING17 (until the end of this month)

I recommend Snakehive leather cases for protection, quality and style
A bit too much quality IMO. I have a plain leather one on my S5 it it adds quite a bit of bulk, especially for a trouser pocket. Noticeably more than other wallet style cases I've had in the past.

Last edited:

Ah yes, I remember you posting about that one. :D
Actually really nice looking case for the price, I might buy it as a spare to the more industrial everyday case that I'll need.

Pity there's not a left handed version of wallet style cases.....hmmmmmm

Edit: just checked and you can get left handed wallet cases on Amazon, bang goes that £1m investment.

Last edited:
Silly question, but if work are giving you these gadgets and sending you to building sites, shouldn't they be providing the protection themselves. Unless they don't care what condition they get them back in :)

Silly question, but if work are giving you these gadgets and sending you to building sites, shouldn't they be providing the protection themselves. Unless they don't care what condition they get them back in :)

I don't think they are that bothered. In 8 months I've had a Surface Pro4, an ipad Air 2, iphone 6S and Samsung S6 phone from them.
I'll be putting the case's through expenses.

Last edited:
One gotcha with Spigen cases is they only just allow a standard charger to fit. I have a couple of aftermarket ones which are a little thicker and don't fit. Not easy to resolve either.

One gotcha with Spigen cases is they only just allow a standard charger to fit. I have a couple of aftermarket ones which are a little thicker and don't fit. Not easy to resolve either.

One of their features that I picked up on was large cut-outs to fit most cables. I wonder is this a new feature.

61mO4V52ebL._SL1000_.jpg

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom