iPhone buying advice

Right, I'm trying to figure out which route to go with regards to buying an iPhone. I'm currently locked into a 3 contract which runs out in about 6 months. As no one knows wether a 32GB model is in the works, it's probably not worth waiting for.

When unlocking to another network, you no longer have access to 'The Cloud'. Their site says it offers WiFi for iPod touch for £3.99 p/m. I take it this package can't be used with the iPhone? The next cheapest package is £6.99 p/m.

Currently my 3 contract is £15 p/m (£20 p/m if I add unlimited internet) with 150 minutes and 750 texts (I've been with them for a long time now). Add the cloud subscription and it's up to £26.99 p/m (or £23.99 if you can use the touch tariff). I'd then also be due a phone upgrade from 3, which I could just sell on as new.

Basically, I'm trying to figure out if it's worth sticking with my 3 contract, buying a pay as you go iPhone and unlocking it or just going with O2. I'm getting impatient and want an iPhone now!

Edit:

Forgot to ask, is it possible to change texting to landscape mode so that you get a larger keyboard? I ask this because it's what I do with my LG Viewty and love the large keyboard. I struggled with the keys a bit on the iPhone when I tried it out instore

Last edited:

Jase Winter

Edit:

Forgot to ask, is it possible to change texting to landscape mode so that you get a larger keyboard? I ask this because it's what I do with my LG Viewty and love the large keyboard. I struggled with the keys a bit on the iPhone when I tried it out instore
If you jailbreak it (which you will have to for the unlock anyway) and install bitesms from cydia, you can indeed use the landscape keyboard.

If you jailbreak it (which you will have to for the unlock anyway) and install bitesms from cydia, you can indeed use the landscape keyboard.
Thanks for your reply. Pity there's no official landscape sms application. It's a bit of an odd one to be left out when many other things change their orientation when the phone is turned.

Can anyone else help me with my other questions or give advice on what you think the best route to go is?

Goo5e

Novice Member
I was in a similar position to you, and decided to stay with my current provider (Vodafone) and use the mobile internet addon which has a fair use policy of 500mb p/month.

I was worried I might miss being able to use WiFi away from home, but that hasn't been the case at all - more than happy using 3g internet and haven't got anywhere near using 500mb a month and haven't restricted my use at all - downloaded apps, music, surfing, emails with attachments, etc.

If I want to download anything huge - podcasts, etc - I just do it at home through my home wifi.

I guess if you really need to use wifi away from home then fair enough, but I've had no problems without it.

You could always just swap the o2 sim in when you want to use the free Cloud wifi for a bit to see whether you really need/want to use it, then decide which way to go.

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 OLED TV Review: The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020
Top Bottom