• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

iPhone battery replacement at Apple store.

Jase Winter

Hi guys,

My wife's iPhone 3GS battery is really starting to show it's age and dies when the phone reports over 50% life remaining. I know apple offers a replacement service at £55, I also know it's fairly easy to do a DIY job however, the wife isn't confident that I won't screw it up :rolleyes:

Does anyone know the process at apple, I've overheard at the store in the past that they just swap the phone for a refurbished unit there and then at the charge of £55, anyone else experience this or do they generally take the phone in, swap the battery and give you the original phone back? I ask because if thats the case we will go that route, the phones had a tough life and is looking a little battered!

Cheers!

dc8900

Distinguished Member
yes to both, depends on the store I guess as looking at the main page for Apple's replacement it states:

"the service process will clear all data from your iPhone"

"Apple disposes of your battery in an environmentally friendly manner"

but states:

"During service Apple may exchange your iPhone with an iPhone that is new or equivalent to new in performance and reliability.
"

info taken from here:

Apple - Support - iPhone Out-of-warranty Battery Replacement Program

Apple (United Kingdom) - Batteries - Battery Replacement

dc8900

Distinguished Member
Thanks for the info mate, anyone got any first hand experience?

forgot to mention with the old 2g (which I now keep in a draw and only use when abroad ), I did it via courier and not in store as although Regent Street is only 40 minutes away I couldn't find the time, the iphone 2g I got seemed to lack a scratch I had on the screen before

but I guess it depends on refurb stock they have, as depending on your phone's spec if they don't have like for like, I imagine then, they actually replace the battery or probably the other way round if they can't repair!

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom