Quantcast

iPhone Advice Please - Used XS Max 512GB Or 11 Pro Max 256GB?

Suave

Distinguished Member
Hi All,

I am not that phone savvy & only got my very first smartphone (a used iPhone 6!) just last year!

I am looking to get a newer & better model but have to keep costs in mind taking into account the pros/cons between phones.

I have been looking at getting an XS Max 512GB (as Apple storage is not expandable) & these seem to go for anything between £450 -£550 - this was mu ideal sort of budget.

I recently saw a sale on the forums of an 11 Pro Max 256GB for £775 & thought if I can get something similar if it might be worth it over the XS Max 512GB - I could live with the reduced storage in lieu of getting a later & more up to date model.

I am in no real rush so can possibly wait things out a bit but am primarily looking at keeping any phone for quite a long time so have things like updates, battery life & phone relevancy over time mostly in mind.

In view of the above, what would be the better options between the two - is the extra cost of the 256GB 11 Pro Max worth it over the XS Max 512GB & are there any other factors/options I should consider - even other iPhones!

Like I said, I am quite new to the smartphone world so can only go buy prices that sell on here & other places! I use Apple computers hence preference for an iPhone!

Would greatly appreciate any help & advice - specific or generally!

Many Kind Thanks!

Chuby1

Novice Member
Hi

Do You need that much memory in your phone?

In regards to choosing the phone it all depends how you would use it and what you would use it for. I can say the battery on the iPhone 11 Pro is better, however the longer you have it the more your battery would deteriorate.

Apple have openly stated that the slow down older models to ensure longevity.

JayCee

Distinguished Member
I would go with the XS max, I bought one last year just before the 11 came out but have absolutely no regrets.
It's speedy, has face ID a beautiful screen and great battery life.
It will be supported by Apple for years to come.
The camera is no slouch but the camera on the 11 is reportedly better with a second lens if that matters to you.

BM08

I would go with the XS max, I bought one last year just before the 11 came out but have absolutely no regrets.
It's speedy, has face ID a beautiful screen and great battery life.
It will be supported by Apple for years to come.
The camera is no slouch but the camera on the 11 is reportedly better with a second lens if that matters to you.
Typing this on my XS Max too, brilliant all round phone. As said above the screen is big and amazing quality when watching videos or playing games etc. Camera and video is superb as is the battery life. I’ve had mine for about a year and the battery life is still good. Obviously the 11 series will have better battery life and cameras etc, but if your coming from an iPhone 6 then the XS Max will be a huge upgrade in every single department!

If I were you I’d save £££’s and get the XS Max. Usually iPhones get updates for at least 5/6 years after release. For example the iPhone 6S was released in September 2015, and that has the latest version of IOS on it. So no worries about software updates. And if you keep it long enough for the battery life to degrade, Apple can replace the battery for £60-70(not checked but around that if I remember correctly) so it’s not the end of the world if it needs replacing.

Suave

Distinguished Member
Hi All,

I just did the numbers & it seems that an 11 Pro Max 256GB will cost about £300 more than the XS Max 512GB & after reading the kind advice here, I am very heavily leaning to just sticking with the XS Max 512GB as £300 is a fairly significant amount!

I think being so new to smartphones & so naive about then maybe I was trying to overcompensate out of fear/ignorance that the very latest must offer far more & will protect me much better against being better supported!

I don't think that in my case, spending £300 extra on an 11 Pro Max makes much sense then - as long as the phone I get syncs well with my Mac computers is my main concern & the XS Max takes decent photos anyway it seems!

Thanks All!