Answered iPhone 6 - side buttons not reverting back to ringer.

Discussion in 'iPhone Forum' started by NorvernRob, Jun 23, 2015.

1. NorvernRob

NorvernRob
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,441
    Evening all

A couple of weeks ago my 6 started doing something really annoying. If I've been on FB for instance, instead of reverting back to controlling the ringer volume pressing the side buttons only brings up the 'volume' controls as though I'm still watching a video. Nothing is running in the background, no videos are still playing. I have to restart the phone to get the side buttons back controlling the ringer volume.

As I said, this only started a couple of weeks ago and wasn't after a firmware update or any changes. Any ideas what's going on?

Cheers

Rob

2. Best Answer:
    Post #2 by outoftheknow, Jun 24, 2015 (1 points)
  3. outoftheknow

outoftheknow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,573
    Best Answer
    So when you double press the home button and look at the open apps the offending app isn't there? If it is does the fault remain if you swipe the offending app closed?
    Other than that I haven't noticed the issue on my 6Plus after any updates - realise that doesn't help if you have the issue :(

Edit - tried playing a video in FB. Volume appeared when pressing side buttons. Pressed Done and went back to FB news feed. Side buttons still volume. Pressed home button once and returned to home screen. Side buttons control the ringer. As I said apologies I can't replicate the issue :(

4. bransoj

bransoj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +480
    Check in Settings > Sounds and under "Ringers And Alerts" there is a slider that turns on and off whether using the buttons will change the ringer volume or not. Mine is currently off so they only do volume on the speaker but flicking the slider to the right so it shows green will allow the buttons to do both.

5. NorvernRob

NorvernRob
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,441
    Thanks for the reply, I've already got that set to on. The side buttons change the ringer volume fine. When i'm watching a video clip they then control the volume as they should, but afterwards they don't revert to controlling the ringer. This has only happened in the last couple of weeks, and I haven't changed anything so I can't figure out why!

6. NorvernRob

NorvernRob
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,441
    I've tried that before, but I've just done it again and strangely it worked! Thank you, that was massively annoying. I've no idea why the phone has only just started doing it when I've had it since launch and never noticed it before.

Rob