iPhone 5S Screen Problem - Vertical Scan Lines/Interlacing

Discussion in 'iPhone Forum' started by sedalbis, Jan 31, 2014.

Tags:
  1. sedalbis

sedalbis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +352
    Hey

I've just made the jump from iPhone 5 to iPhone 5S and as soon as I started using the new phone I noticed vertical scan lines running down the screen.

The lines are faint, very close together, and are most visible on blue or grey backgrounds, but now that I've noticed them I just cannot unsee them. They definitely were not present on my iPhone 5 which I had been using for a year. I've taken a close up photo of my screen with my friends iPhone camera to give you an idea of what I'm on about:

I've removed this image as it didn't show the problem clearly enough. Please see the image in post #4 instead.

I know the lines don't look like much, but as I said before, I've noticed it now and I just can't unsee it and it's driving me mad. And I think that seeing as though I gave Apple so much money for this phone it's reasonable for me to expect it to be perfect.

I've done a bit of research and it seems there are many people with this problem, but also many people who have perfect screens. So it seems to be a lottery as to whether you get a good screen or not. One test I have read about is to open this image on your 5S:

IMG_2395.JPG

If the image flickers on your phone then apparently you have a faulty screen. If the image does not flicker then your screen is ok. Well, on my 5S when I open this image it is like a bloody strobe light going off.

Has anyone else here with a 5S experienced this issue? Are Apple likely to replace the phone if I take it to a store? (I have 12 months warranty).

Cheers :)

Last edited: Feb 4, 2014
  2. Avi

Avi
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,064

Personally I haven't experienced this issue but I've had around eight new retail 5's at last count due to various issues such as poor case fit/finish, rattles, poor display uniformity, poor display performance etc . There is definitely variances between the displays in the units I've had. That said it's a lottery because a different unit may fix one issue but then introduce another. This is the first time I've had real reservations about the build quality and attention to detail of an Apple product.

Where did you buy it ? If you've only just started using the iphone can you not return it for a retail replacement rather than trading a new unit for a re-manufactured Genius bar warranty unit.

3. chris

chris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    The only thing i can see wrong with the facebook icon picture is a bit of red flair on the left side of the F, other than that i think maybe it might be down to your eyes being a bit too sensitive.
    I can see the pixels in the scan lines but that is to be expected with that amount of Zoom.

4. sedalbis

sedalbis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +352
    Hey thanks for the reply.

At first I thought my eyes were just being too sensitive too, but I keep noticing these lines and I know for a fact that they weren't there on my iPhone 5. I've also looked at the test image on my friend's iPhone 5 and it does not flicker one bit. Yet on my 5S it really is like a stobe light.

I've taken another image of my screen which I think shows the vertical lines a little more clearly:

IMG_2403.JPG

I know you can see the pixels because of the zoom, but there are also quite clearly vertical lines running all down the screen, especially visible in the grey areas between the keys.

Do you think it's worth taking my phone into an Apple store and trying the test image on some of their display models? Or should I just ignore it and get used to it? The fact that I've paid a lot of money for my 5S and also that the problem wasn't present on my iPhone 5 makes me think I should persist and get it sorted...

EDIT - Oh and I bought the phone off eBay from someone who received it as an unwanted O2 upgrade, so (even though the phone was sealed) my only option is to try and get a genius bar swap/referb

5. Flashy

Flashy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,158
    The test image you posted makes my iPhone 5s screen flicker, but I can't see any lines during normal use, even when I'm looking for them. My screen is a bit on the warm side for my liking (blues can tend to look a bit purple), but I've pretty much got used to that and it's fine.

What's not fine is the sleep/wake button rattle, which ruins video with even the slightest movement. But then I don't do much video, so not an immediate issue. I may get Apple to look at it when I can get to a Genius Bar, though.

6. chris

chris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    I got a 5s yesterday and had a look at the PIC with that and I never got any flashing on mine.
    Might be worth getting it changed if u can.

7. Flashy

Flashy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,158
    The thing is, I can see the sleep/wake button interfering with video is an actual issue.

But what would anyone say to Apple about that image? "Oh, yeah, my display looks fine, except when I click on this one image"? Can't see that being an approved Apple test. It's not an issue during use, so I will just avoid clicking on that image. Unless Apple recognise it as a known issue?

8. chris

chris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    I dont see no scan lines on my 5s, evern with my reading glasses on (i'm getting old now).
    It must have something to do with the screens refresh rate but would that be classed as a fault if yours has a different rate than others.
    That's the only thing i can think of, just like some people could see the flickering on a 100hz TV....again, my eyes were not prone to it.

9. sedalbis

sedalbis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +352
    But my display doesn't look fine. It has the scan lines running down it and I see them during normal use. The intense flickering on the test image just confirms my display is in fact faulty.

10. chris

chris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Does anyone else see the problem on your phone.
    If other people are seeing it as well then they should be able to see the problem if u take it to your nearest genius bar,

11. localboy27

localboy27

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +489
    Is there a noticeable difference when compared to another handset? If there is then they'll replace it

If you have to zoom the image to see a line like above you've no chance.