• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

iPhone 5 video recording wrong orientation

CaptnSpaulding

Just come back from Haven and took a few pictures and videos. Just transferred them to the computer and the videos I took in portrait mode are all playing back in landscape on the computer - but play fine on the phone.

I made sure that I didn't start recording in one orientation and then turn it because I know from experience this would result in what's happening now, but there is no reason behind why it's doing it. Pretty disappointed to be honest as I have no idea how you can flip the video clockwise or if it's even possible!?

Strangely, I transferred a couple of photos to my parents computer and my partners netbook and it's a similar story here where I had to use Windows Picture Viewer to rotate all the portrait pictures clockwise. On my computer they all transferred the right way.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

EDIT:

Sorry guys, I just tried Windows Media Player and Quicktime and both play the videos in portrait as it should. Seems it's just my default video player (VLC) which plays them in landscape for some reason!? :confused:

Last edited:

pixlrik

VLC can be set to change the orientation of the video. From memory, once you change the setting, it applies it to all videos, not just the one you were watching. So it could be that the setting on VLC player is set to rotate videos 90°?

CaptnSpaulding

Thanks Paddy.

Can't seem to find anything though. All other videos play normally.

I've found a setting to rotate videos but it only does it on the video playing and doesn't save it. Bit of a hassle really so I've defaulted WMP to play my .mov files from now on :)

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom