iPhone 5 to coincide with Everything Everywhere 4G launch on 11 Sept 2012?

Reaction score
as everything/everywhere have been given permission to launch 4g services on the 11 sept, and the iphone 5 probable launch 12 sept, they should go hand in hand a marriage made in heaven if it all pans out, im in if it is are you?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-19328653

Last edited:
I can't see in that article where it says that EE will be rolling out 4G in September ?

They've been told they can do it from the 11th Sept but that doesnt mean they will offer it then. From the article :-

Everything Everywhere will be allowed to offer 4G services from 11 September.

But, as the regulator pointed out, the timing will be a commercial decision for the company itself.

They've been told they can do it from the 11th Sept but that doesnt mean they will offer it then. From the article :-

But, as the regulator pointed out, the timing will be a commercial decision for the company itself.

EE would be daft not too imagine a ip5 On 4g the only network to do it on the full Monty plan they would sell out, which is why I think they dropped tethering on the full Monty plan with the rumoured speeds home BB would not be worth it imo

EE would be daft not too imagine a ip5 On 4g the only network to do it on the full Monty plan they would sell out, which is why I think they dropped tethering on the full Monty plan with the rumoured speeds home BB would not be worth it imo
Depends on whether their 4G network is up to it at this stage. If not i suspect the bad publicity of thousands of new iPhone users unable to use it wouldnt be that great!!

the porter said:

OT abit, when I went into a t-mobile store other day, woman on counter said tethering was still permitted on the full monty plan and none of the staff there had been told otherwise from higher above, she said no one had been back to complain who signed up recently !!

Obviously we don't actually know yet if the iPhone 5 will even have 4G/LTE capability yet, but seeing as the iPad 3 does (albeit useless in Europe) it's probably safe to say it will have and if it does and EE can offer it, does that give them an unfair advantage over 3, Vodafone and o2?

The timing for the release is also interesting (Sept 11th), if Apple are indeed going to announce the next iPhone on the 12th...

What about 3 customers? Isn't there some kind of mast sharing/shared company between them & EE?

The timing for the release is also interesting (Sept 11th), if Apple are indeed going to announce the next iPhone on the 12th...

Absolutely - I think if anything it brings in even more certainty of the announcement on the 12th. It makes you wonder that this is surely too much of a coincidence for two mega launches within the space of 24 hours.

Absolutely - I think if anything it brings in even more certainty of the announcement on the 12th. It makes you wonder that this is surely too much of a coincidence for two mega launches within the space of 24 hours.

If Orange can (and indeed will) have 4G capability for the next iPhone launch date (and if the iPhone has 4G capability for the UK), then this would be a MASSIVE coup for EE and will surely give them an unfair advantage over Vodafone/O2/3, being the only operator to offer 4G in the UK?

I don't think it's beneficial for consumers or business to have just the one operator offering 4G...

Has there been any confirmation that they will offer it from the 11th? The article reads as if they have been told they can, barring challenges from other operators who dont seem overly happy with the decision, but still nothing from EE that they will do it from the 11th.

Has there been any confirmation that they will offer it from the 11th?

None whatsoever.

The article reads as if they have been told they can, barring challenges from other operators who dont seem overly happy with the decision, but still nothing from EE that they will do it from the 11th.

Spot on:

Great news I'm on a T Mobile sim only deal with unlimited data, pop my new nano sim in a 4G iPhone can't wait :) !!'

If Orange can (and indeed will) have 4G capability for the next iPhone launch date (and if the iPhone has 4G capability for the UK), then this would be a MASSIVE coup for EE and will surely give them an unfair advantage over Vodafone/O2/3, being the only operator to offer 4G in the UK?

I don't think it's beneficial for consumers or business to have just the one operator offering 4G...

Your right and would probably have the advantage for at least 6 months until the other network providers catch up with the infrastructure

I wonder how they will market it as well. Will users just get to use it if their phone can use it or will they charge more for access to it.

I wonder how they will market it as well. Will users just get to use it if their phone can use it or will they charge more for access to it.

It will use whatever's available, same as now.

Currently, if you're not in a good 3G area, you use GPRS/EDGE.

You don't get charged extra for 3G.

It will use whatever's available, same as now.

Currently, if you're not in a good 3G area, you use GPRS/EDGE.

You don't get charged extra for 3G.
Yep...i know that...just wondered with them looking like being the only 4G operator for the forseeable if they will try to milk it in some way.

I was in the US recently and roamed with AT&T (I'm a Vodafone subscriber), the '4G' symbol lit up on my iPhone 4s but the performance wasn't noticeably better than 3G in my opinion. Funnily enough my colleagues out there on Sprint and Verizon couldn't get 4G but the Brit in their country could :laugh: The '4G' icon was quite important to them for some reason.

This was in Chicago, a big city, so perhaps 4G will be better in less populated areas, but I wouldn't get too excited just yet.

FWIU, it may not be available here on the iPhone at the moment as in the US, they operate on different frequencies.

EE's LTE network will apparently be up and running in some form or another by the end of this month (I'm not talking about the press conference, this is separate information).
It will be data-only, initially at least - calls will be routed through 2G/3G fallback.

It is apparently also looking likely that Orange and T-Mobile customers will be able to use LTE, though that's the extent of the information I have on that.

Also, it has supposedly been confirmed that the iPhone5 will support the 1800MHz LTE band.
Other than that, dongles are likely to be the first LTE-capable devices EE launch with handsets from HTC/Samsung in the pipeline as well.

a bit more info

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom