iphone 4S -> Orange PAYG situation

mikeclark007

Just today received my new 4S which is going to replace my 3GS. I'm a new Orange customer as of a week ago and have opted for the Dolphin PAYG Tariff (£10-00 p/m)

Having received the 4S I realised I needed a micro-sim. Firstly I phoned my local store and she really could not relate to my circumstances (yes PAYG customers do still exist!) and she was saying that a micro-sim was only available on a monthly charge of £10-50. I said my thanks and told them i'd be in touch :rolleyes:
Phoned Orange Shop (UK call centre) and they tried to charge me £25-00 for a micro-sim. I told them what the girl at the store had said and also mentioned the fact I want to retain my number and my newly acquired £20-00 credit and simply switch to the micro-sim.
Turns out i'm having to take the new sim on a monthly contract (£10-50) then when I receive it I phone up and register / activate it and immediately tell them I want to cancel and revert to PAYG then i'm all sorted.
Can't be that hard surely? :confused:

dc8900

Distinguished Member
you can always a buy a Micro-SIM cutter for a couple of quid and use your existing SIM :thumbsup:

mikeclark007

you can always a buy a Micro-SIM cutter for a couple of quid and use your existing SIM :thumbsup:
:facepalm: Had no idea these were available. Why do Orange make it so difficult to transfer over then or even suggest it themselves? Sounds like it saves a lot of messing about

Need to find a Micro-sim cutter. Looks like an eBay job to me.

Chox1988

Distinguished Member
Yeh they'll be less than a fiver on ebay, you might have stalls or shops in town that do it for you to, i know we do.

mikeclark007

Yeh they'll be less than a fiver on ebay, you might have stalls or shops in town that do it for you to, i know we do.
Guess theres a slight risk to the existing chip having just compared the 2 and seen how close the chip on the micro-sim runs to the edge.

dc8900

Distinguished Member
Why do Orange make it so difficult to transfer over then or even suggest it themselves? Sounds like it saves a lot of messing about
Simply put, they wouldn't otherwise be able to offer you the more expensive options that they mentioned. All a Micro-SIM is it's a regular Mini-SIM but with even more of the plastic around the chip removed.

mikeclark007

Simply put, they wouldn't otherwise be able to offer you the more expensive options that they mentioned. All a Micro-SIM is it's a regular Mini-SIM but with even more of the plastic around the chip removed.
Might just get the scissors out :rotfl:

dc8900

Distinguished Member

mikeclark007

That's certainly the cheapest method and has worked for a lot of people!

just a FYI, but Vodafone offer their Micro-SIMs for payg customer free of charge, so you could order that: https://freesim.vodafone.co.uk/orders/add?package_id=1&tracker=58f8dj and go with their £10/month top up of where you get 500MB data and 300 texts on top of the £10 credit. Just a thought
Good idea mate but phone is brand new and locked to Orange. I've got the micro-sim due in a day or 2 so I'll just follow the instructions accordingly. As long as I keep my credit and number which I will I'll persevere :smashin:

dc8900

Distinguished Member
mikeclark007 said:
Good idea mate but phone is brand new and locked to Orange. I've got the micro-sim due in a day or 2 so I'll just follow the instructions accordingly. As long as I keep my credit and number which I will I'll persevere :smashin:
Ah, fair enough : smashin:

thej

You've been told utter rubbish. No need to get a one month contract then cancel. The shop is just trying to get a contract out of you. You can get a PAYG micro sim from an Orange retail store, it isn't free sadly (£15) and you'd need to top up by a minimum of £5, but you will get 250mb a month free for the next 12 months for your trouble.

The latest video from AVForums

The Best Movies and TV Shows Coming to Netflix in November 2020: Tom's Thumbs.
Top Bottom