iPhone 4s not showing up in iTunes?

blue max

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've updated both these to the latest versions.

The phone was fine before I updated the itunes to the latest version. Now it doesn't show up.

Trying to sync via wifi just leaves it looking for the computer, but never finds it.

Any suggestions on what might be wrong. I have restarted both devices.

Thanks.

Are they both on the same wi-fi network?
My MacBook Pro sometimes connects to the 5Ghz network on my BT Homehub 5 but my iPhone 4S doesn't/can't as it isn't dual band capable and it connects to the 2.5Ghz network output from the router.

Appreciate the thought, but it is. And it doesn't show up when connected via usb either.

I get a message about trusting the computer, which I accept, but nothing happens.

Could it be because I have different apple id's for the devices? I really never fully grasped how this is all supposed to work :D

Could it be because I have different apple id's for the devices? I really never fully grasped how this is all supposed to work :D

Yes, that's probably why, both devices need to be signed into the same Apple ID.

Bit of an update - did some googling and it seems it is a documented problem. Restarting both computer and phone got it as far as showing in itunes, so some progress. And I have been able to wifi sync (even though different itunes accounts). However, I can click the triangle to see the list of things on the phone, but not the actual phone name to see details and update software on it.
This should be pretty easy with an older phone, so don't know what apple is playing at. This is very unusual for them.

And I have found that there is a little phone icon near the top left where I can access the phone for updates etc. So, all sorted.

I've found the same issue with all my devices, iphone 4s & 6 and ipad air. iTunes 12 seems to break regularly and reboots are necessary to get them to show up. I hope they fix it soon!

Appreciate the thought, but it is. And it doesn't show up when connected via usb either.

I get a message about trusting the computer, which I accept, but nothing happens.

Yes, that's probably why, both devices need to be signed into the same Apple ID.

Makes no difference with different apple ID's, I have 2 and it doesn't matter what one is logged in.

Good to hear you resolved it.

Im still surpirsed my 4s even survived this long especially after some water damage, but i usually just keep plugging it in until the drivers start.

4" screen is the future.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom