iphone 4s died during update

Discussion in 'iPhone Forum' started by squareeyes68, Feb 27, 2013.

Tags:
  1. squareeyes68

squareeyes68
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    So yesterday I updated my iphone4s from 6.1 to 6.1.2 and it failed.
    Got an unknown error message -1 whilst updating the firmware stage of the update. This suggests a hardware failure. The phone is now stuck in recovery mode. Spent some time on the phone with Apple tried a variety of things different accounts on my mac different machine to recover on etc.and nothing has worked. I have an appointment on Friday to take it into a store and if that does not resolve it I get the choice of paying £150ish for a refurb or binning the phone. It was pretty much a launch day phone so is about 16 months old.

The phone is in perfect condition has been well looked after so for a £650 phone that has been used as designed a failure like this is unacceptable.
    Ironically the 3GS I had before this that was also a release day phone now used by my other half is still working fine, which is what I would expect.

What sort of experience have people had with this, anything I can say in store to try and waive the replacement fee?

2. SirTiger007

SirTiger007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +204
    My brother's iPad failed after 18 months. Apple wanted £200 for a replacement so he complained to trading standards citing the product was not fit for purpose. Apple tried to ignore him, but couldn't ignore trading standards. Apple got it independently tested and it was shown to be a manufacturing fault with the graphics chip, so they gave him a free replacement.
    Don't give in to what they offer if you're not happy. 16 months for a hardware failure is never acceptable!

3. chukwe

chukwe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +465
    Press and hold the Power button for 3 secs, continue to hold the Power button after 3 secs, then press & hold the Home button while holding the Power button for another 10 to 15 seconds. Now release the Power button and continue to hold the Home button for another 10 secs.

Did anything happen?

4. squareeyes68

squareeyes68
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Just tried this, thanks.
    The phone is stuck in recovery mode and always ends up at the connect to itunes screen including if I do what you have suggested.
    The phone will take the software and verify it ok but when it gets to the firmware update stage it uploads then errors after the verifying iphone firmware message. From rummaging about on line there are references to this being a hw fault although the diagnostics you get back from the phone are not very helpful.
    I had a couple of updates brick my earlier iphone but was always able to recover from them.
    The problem here is not the update refusing to start or failing early on it gets most of the way through then fails always with an "unknown error" message followed by variously -1, 11 and 3014

5. chukwe

chukwe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +465
    Open the host file on the computer, backup the entries and clear all the entries in the host file. Reboot your computer and try doing a restore again

6. squareeyes68

squareeyes68
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for the suggestions....
    Well the phone came straight back out of recovery mode on a macbook in the Apple store which is good.
    Don't know why the problem happened in the first place which is bad.

Real test will be if it happens again with the next software update.

7. devastator

devastator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    Had something similar to this when updating. Turned out to be TinyUmbrella app editing my hosts file. Once I took the apple entry out it all went through fine.

8. MarkieT

MarkieT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Hi,

I'm pretty sure my Dad had a similar problem with his 3GS, funny enough it turned out to be the USB Sync Cable he was using, tried another Cable and all worked ok, that might possibly explain why it worked ok at the Apple Store for yourself unless you'd already tried another cable at home.

Not sure if that helps.

Regards

Mark.