• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

iPhone 4 will only be available for existing O2 customers at launch

Tom`

Established Member
O2 | iPhone 4 | Where to buy, how to buy & who can buy

iPhone stock will be extremely limited in the UK at launch and not everybody who wants one will be able to get one straight away. We want to make sure that our existing customers get priority so until at least the end of July, only existing O2 customers will be able to get an iPhone 4 from us.

Looks like the iPhone 4 is going to be selling better than expected.

Apologies if the title is a little misleading!

Mod edit: Instore and on contract only at launch
Online ordering and PAYG is not available from launch

Last edited by a moderator:

matt d938

Established Member
I chatted with a online assistant today and she said you can upgrade on the 24th via telephone but it doesn't mention this on the Twitter feed, just want to make sure I can get one on launch day

Matt

psikey

Distinguished Member
Good news for existing customers but going to be some very :mad: people who have held off ordering from Apple hoping to get contract phones from O2.

BarryMcKelvey

Distinguished Member
Hi

If ur an o2 customer via CPW will o2 still see u as an existing customer?

Thanks

Baz

rockstar6662

Established Member
It'll also only be available in stores and not via the online shop if that hasn't been mentioned elsewhere. Just read this bit...

Where can you buy iPhone 4?

On 24 June, iPhone 4 will be available in O2 shops, as well as Carphone Warehouse, Best Buy, Phones4U and Apple stores.

iPhone 4 will not be available on the o2.co.uk online shop until at least the end of July.

ishakv

Established Member
Gutted! :mad:
I'm one of those people that didn't pre order one from apple cus I planned to get it on contract from o2.
Might just have to make the trip up to the Glasgow apple store and queue up now :(

Nik73

Distinguished Member
Will the cost of the handset be the same if you're upgrading from a 3g as it would if you were a new customer?

a l e x

Distinguished Member
Good on them. Totally agree with dannius... its always special offers for new customers, about time loyal ones got something in return!

crocandy

Established Member
Good on them. Totally agree with dannius... its always special offers for new customers, about time loyal ones got something in return!

Too much competition this time round. I personally think that they will be desperate to keep as many customers as possible especially after getting rid of unlimited data.

shade_of_meta

Prominent Member
Of course he's eligible - what, O2 Simplicity is secretly not with O2? :laugh:

You would have to sign up for a contract though if you're a Simplicity customer so you might have to wait if you're after the PAYG models.

you've change the parameters ;) He's eligible ok if he signs up for a standard contract....not if he wants to stay Simplicity :rolleyes:

Steven

Senior Moderator
Too much competition this time round. I personally think that they will be desperate to keep as many customers as possible especially after getting rid of unlimited data.
It has not been unlimited for a while. Like all networks O2 operate a fair usage policy. I rather think by saying 500mb/750mb they are setting a more clear boundary. Whether you like it is something each person should decide :cool:

Nik73

Distinguished Member
Sorry if this has been covered, but I just made up my mind today to upgrade from a 3g.

Can you reserve at local O2 stores, plus how easy do we think it'll be get to get one on launch day as it's just for existing customers now?

nick270881

Established Member
It's a clever approach by o2 in my eyes, look at it this way, when the 3GS was launched there were thousands of people still locked into their contracts from the 3G

Now they've got a situation where those thousands are now out of contract and they're probably desperate to get them tied Into a new long contract rather than them buying sim free and going month by month simplicity and those who are still In contract will be just throwing money at them for the supposed early upgrade deal!

It's not about looking after their customers, it's about getting as much money from them as possible

peterjcat

Established Member
Fully agree. It's very expensive to acquire new customers and in a situation where a lot of existing customers will be coming out of contract they'll want to make sure they lose as few as possible.

Mr Nook

Distinguished Member
Hi

First of all I know this has ticked a lot people off, but I was going to upgrade with O2 anyway so it actually suits me.

What's the actual procedure here? Just go into an O2 shop on the 24th and upgrade there and then and walk out with a handset?

Also, it it necessary to reserve an Iphone in advance or should any existing customers be pretty much covered.

I know numbers and availabilty are pretty much unknown, but any feedback appreciated :thumbsup:

Thanks

RDB

chelsea.tone

Distinguished Member
Hi

First of all I know this has ticked a lot people off, but I was going to upgrade with O2 anyway so it actually suits me.

What's the actual procedure here? Just go into an O2 shop on the 24th and upgrade there and then and walk out with a handset?

Yes

Also, it it necessary to reserve an Iphone in advance or should any existing customers be pretty much covered.

You cant reserve, so just turn up

I know numbers and availabilty are pretty much unknown, but any feedback appreciated :thumbsup:

Thanks

RDB

Hope that helps :smashin:

CaptnSpaulding

Prominent Member
Does anyone know if it's only available to upgrading customers or can an o2 customer get a new contract out?
I'm not with o2 but my mum is so she said she'd get it out for me if if it's possible to save waiting until end of July.

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom