iphone 4 will not resist Scratches.....beware

Simba

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do they ever say anywhere in their marketing or literature that the iPhone 4 is scratchproof? No. End of story.

Maybe you should update your title, because it is incorrect - it DOES resist scratches.

Do they ever say anywhere in their marketing or literature that the iPhone 4 is scratchproof? No. End of story.

Maybe you should update your title, because it is incorrect - it DOES resist scratches.

im sure there are alot of people who are under the impression that this thing is bullet proof

mods feel free to update as necessary.

All the more reason to get it in a decent case asap!

im sure there are alot of people who are under the impression that this thing is bullet proof

mods feel free to update as necessary.
That's not Apple's problem, that's "whoever's" problem for assuming too much and believing the misinformation and hype generated by forums like these and on the internet in general.

That's not Apple's problem, that's "whoever's" problem for assuming too much and believing the misinformation and hype generated by forums like these and on the internet in general.

:rolleyes:

I never said it was. Just easing peoples impressions ..... and mine :D

i see that the phone was a tester that had been dropped a few times :confused:

This is nothing new, most phones, mp3 players etc will scratch, big deal. nothing a screen protector and case wont sort out.:smashin:

:rolleyes:

No such a thing as scratch proof really. Catch it on a diamond ring and I'm, 100% certain it will scratch :D

Damn, was kinda hoping I would get away with just a bumper but now it looks like I'm gonna need at least a case that covers the back & sides!

Has anyone made one for the iPhone 4 yet?

My new iPhone is going commando...end of.:rotfl:

Must admit, I was under the impression, rightly or wrongly, that it was practically scratch proof. :(

It's made of glass, metal and plastic. Why shouldn't it scratch like any other object :confused:

LOL @ poeple who use it in cases...sorry but the phone is to be used NOT to be treated like a baby.

The most that will be going on mine is a simple screen protector on the front.

It's made of glass, metal and plastic. Why shouldn't it scratch like any other object :confused:

Because the glass is the same stuff they use on Helicopter & High Speed Train windscreens! You'd think it would be pretty scratch proof!

Because the glass is the same stuff they use on Helicopter & High Speed Train windscreens! You'd think it would be pretty scratch proof!

Every material has a certain hardness and tensile strength. Nothing is truly scratch proof. Hopefully the Iphone 4 will be pretty tough but it's certainly not going to be indestructable.

It's well worth investing in a 97p screen protector to save a ÂŁ600 phone I'd say.

RDB :)

We only know that the front screen glass is super gorilla glass. We don't know what the back glass is. It is more likely just hardened glass.

I forgot who, and I'm not bothered about quoting them on this, but which would you rather? Have the beauty with a few scratches or ruin the design with a case?

I may get a small protector however, like the bumper, but no chance am I spoiling the iPhone 4 with a case, whether it protects it or not.

I spent the best part of a year with a Invisible shield on my 3GS. Great protection etc. But took it off towards the end (before it was sold) because it was getting manky.

I re-discovered the beauty and feel of the iPhone - it was like getting a new phone. Seems a waste that I prevented myself from the real feel.

Hence my IP4 will be naked except for a leather case.

We only know that the front screen glass is super gorilla glass. We don't know what the back glass is. It is more likely just hardened glass.

That's correct. The front is Gorilla Glass so there is pretty much no need for a screen protector, in fact I'd say that's the last area that needs protection! I never had a screen protector on my iPhones before and they never had any screen scratches. It will be the back glass and particularly the metal surround that need protecting, if you're fussy about scratches.

I will probably keep mine in a slip-case with a pull-tap, so it will be fully covered when in my pocket etc., but when I want to use it I can just slide it out of the case and use it 'naked', keeping the slim feel of the phone intact - best of both worlds in my opinion :smashin:

The sides are steel. The iPad has brushed steel looking back and sides..but I believe in the iPad it is made of aluminium and the finish scratches VERY easily. We are talking about the durability of the back glass here...I would be more concerned about the sides! Seemingly thats where Apple focus too with their bumper, although that my be more about the fact that is more likely to land on a side during impact.

im pretty sure its scratch resistant not scratch proof

Quote from the Engadget review:

"we dropped ours pretty hard from about two feet up onto tile with nary a scratch"

No lets try and figure out why that scratch got there...hmm. I am sure everyone will drop theres at some point but seems like Engadget purposely dropped it to see what effect it had.

What on earth is the point of buying a beautifully designed iPhone and then shoving it in to a case?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom