iPhone 4 - Which network has the best data speed and coverage?

Which network for speed and coverage when it comes to data? Please explain your votes

• O2

Votes: 35 25.0%
  • Orange

Votes: 16 11.4%
  • T-Mobile

Votes: 21 15.0%
  • Vodafone

Votes: 31 22.1%
  • 3 Mobile

Votes: 44 31.4%

• Total voters

psikey

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
Will be getting my first iphone and considering both PAYG & contract.

Don't make many calls or texts but want great data usage with good coverage & speed.

Currently use a PAYG BB Bold 9700 on Orange but is O2 or T-mobile better?

If I intend to use this phone for 18months is a contract better or purchase PAYG?

Mod Comment 9th June: At time of writing four operators have declared for the iPhone 4. The poll is not a final indication of the intent of the remaining 3 smaller operators

Last edited by a moderator:
T-Mobile. Good allowance, great reception.
O2: great allowance, bad reception. Nonexistant in some areas, patchy edge/3g in others
Orange: fair bit of reception, some notspots, awfully low arbitary limit on data use

T Mobile seem to have the best coverage
everywhere i go i always get a 3g connection and i get unlimited usage for £5 extra a month

But is it only O2 that include the free wifi coverage? How useful is that?

If I get a PAYG handset can I put any SIM in it?

I get good coverage with tmobile both at home and work on 3G but I don't get full speed hspda.Some tarriffs like the sim only with Internet booster don't get it.

But is it only O2 that include the free wifi coverage? How useful is that?

If I get a PAYG handset can I put any SIM in it?

if its sim free then yeah you can put any sim in it
+ it has to be a micro sim

I used to be on tmobile, but now I'm on O2.

Tmobile seems to have more coverage, but poor on delivering Internet/services. Example, on occasions when I try to lookup train times on national rail app, it might take forever to receive the information even on full 3G with Tmobile. I always get frustrated them.

On O2, if I get a single bar of 3G, I'm guaranteed full speed Internet. This has happened 98% times which I'm happy at the moment.

I think O2 is much better

I have both an iPad and planning to upgrade to the iPhone 4 as well. I am not on any contract just iPhone 20 simplicity. Should I stay with o2 or change?

I am in central London so they all have good coverage. I want the fastest data.

Also which one has the best coverage in the country for when we go on vacay around Britain? I can switch sims for the iPad

Thx

I was with Tmobile before I moved to O2 on my iPhone 3GS.

Between the both, O2 has the fastest data but not the higher coverage as you would know.

I find using myWi on my iPhone to connect to my iPad is the fastest of any thing I have tried

Last edited:
It was a tough decision but I went for T-Mobile - for 3G coverage.

T-Mobile are pretty damn fast as are o2 but T-Mobile have very good 3g coverage.

In urban areas I found Orange didnt have capacity. Web pages grinding to a halt and 3g rolling back to 2g when making voice calls.

T-mobile are def cheaper than o2 when abroad, A mate of mine and me have both just been away together for a couple of weeks , came back and my bills £140 his was half that.

O2 charge something like £3 per meg, think he was paying £1 for 3 mb.

I really don't know who to go with. I'm thinking o2 because they are the only ones who support visual voicemail and have a good usage policy but the coverage is miles behind Orange and T-Mobi.

T-Mobile around here are not as sharp as 3, crazy considering they supposedly share masts.

My only other option is Voda, but apparently their CS is terrible.

Last edited:
T-Mobile and Orange's impending UK roaming make this an easy answer.

Orange 3g is terrible for speeds though.

Not sure about that, every time I do a speed test on my iPad 3G it's pretty good (around 2mbits). Anyway, surely the more important thing on which network to pick is availability rather than pure performance (assuming a certain threshold of responsiveness). Performance only matters if you are doing large downloads, which you will not be on a mobile data connection.

The pages just don't seem to load as quick on Orange as quick as they do on 3 and o2.

Speedtest comes back with results of 300kbps on Orange. Sometimes I'll put a URL in and get safari cannot open this page.

At home its not too bad but at work, in the centre of Brum it's rubbish.

H3G should be added to the list, seeing as they've officially announced iPhone 4 availability on their network.

I know people don't like Three but shouldn't they be listed as well?

I would say three as thats what am using on my iphone fast data and good reception

I know people don't like Three but shouldn't they be listed as well?

I love 3. There fifteen quid a month deal fits my needs absolutely perfectly. Found there CS to be no worse than any other mob company and coverage very good.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom