iPhone 4 | UK Release June 24th | The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

Steven

Senior Moderator
Solutions
Reaction score
iPhone 4 Confirmed: Apple Link

Hands-on PreviewsWith thanks to member pez_555 for contributing to the previews list above. With thanks to members psikey, porsche1909 and lentini for helping with compiling the spec list below.

Price and Release Date
  • June 24th UK Release
  • June 15th Pre-Order
  • UK Pricing: Click Me
  • 16GB and 32GB
  • Colours: Black and White
Hardware
  • Powered by Apple A4 CPU
  • Wireless-N
  • Glass front and back (Cited as 30x harder than plastic)
  • Stainless steel sides - acts as antenna!
  • Micro SIM
  • 9.33mm thickness - 24% thinner than the iPhone 3GS
  • 136g / 4.8 ounces
  • 3 axis gyro, accelerometer and compass
  • Ambient light sensor
New Cameras, HD Video and Video Calling
  • Front facing camera
  • Rear facing 5MP with LED Flash
  • Backside illuminated sensor
  • 5x Digital zoom
  • LED flash on the back doubles as video light
  • "FaceTime" Video Calling via Wi-Fi (iPhone 4 to iPhone 4)
  • 720p@30 fps HD Video recording
  • iMovie for iPhone 4 ($4.99)
Display
  • 3.5" IPS Display
  • 960x640 display
  • 800:1 Contrast Ratio (4x 3GS)
  • "Retina Display" - 326 pixels per inch
Battery Life
  • 300hrs standby Li-ion Battery
  • 7hrs 3G Talk-time
  • 6hrs 3G Browsing
  • 10hrs wi-fi browsing
  • 10hrs video playback
Software
  • iOS 4 (new name for iPhone OS 4 as it is going out across all platforms)
  • iOS 4 and iTunes 9.2 for iPhone 4 out 21st June
  • iBooks - sync with iPad (will also unlock PDF viewing)
  • Google, Yahoo and Bing Search
  • Multitasking
  • App Folders
  • iAd Platform
  • iOS 4 Gold Master Candidate and iTunes 9.2 Beta out now for developers
  • iOS 4 out for iPod Touch, iPhone 3G and 3GS on 21st June
  • No multitasking for 3G iPhone
  • 1st Gen iPod Touch excluded from upgrade to iOS 4

Last edited:
YouTube - Apple iPhone 4 Design Video
YouTube - Apple iPhone 4 Hands On.flv

The Glass
The Hardware
The Stainless Steel Antenna
iOS 4
Gaming and the Gyroscope
The Retina Display
HD Video and iMovie
FaceTime Video Calling

With thanks to member muffins for contributing

Last edited:
I've got to say that you're doing a fantastic job with the sudden rush of interest.

Very well done iPhone mods.:smashin:

Hi

Would there be any benefits buying the iPhone 4 from Apple over the Carphone Warehouse who I'm currently a customer of on o2?

Thanks

Baz

Using Post 2 for interesting miscellaneous :cool: Inviting members to post links to off the beat articles :)
I've got to say that you're doing a fantastic job with the sudden rush of interest.

Very well done iPhone mods.:smashin:
No worries. Just a public service although I will not be buying the iPhone 4. Actually never owned an iPhone... My fellow Mods offering some balance

Last edited:
By now people have probably seen the photo from iFix with the smashed screen.

Didn't see any updated on it on their site but they did post an update on Macroumers.

1. First test was conducted on office carpet, which it held up fine. Concrete is what broke it.
2. Weight should not effect the acceleration...all objects accelerate to the ground at 9.8 m/s^2....however as since we live on earth, denser objects will fall to the earth faster than lighter objects because they can overcome air resistance....like if u go to the moon and drop a feather and a bowling ball, they will both land at the same time (because there is no air resistance). However here on earth, heavier objects will fall faster than the lighter ones because they overcome drag better than lighter objects (they are denser and have less spaces between particles).

Okay...so now that we have that cleared up...we have results of round 2...

So here's what we did this time.

First and foremost: The scratch test. Wow is all i can say. We went at it with keys, screwdrivers, razors, and not a mark. Good job apple! Very scratch resistant.

Second: The drop test.

Rather than dropping it flat, we dropped it a few different ways. We dropped on hard carpet, no problems, no cracking, held up well. Then we moved out to the concrete. We dropped it while walking out of our pocket, standing still and fumbling it, on the corner, spinning, etc. It did hold up quite well, much better than a 3G or 3Gs, but after drop #7 it hit the sweet spot(on the corner, top left) and shattered.

Our conclusion...it did take quite the beating, more than the predecessors, 2G/3G/3Gs, but it is still breakable.

No pictures yet....still have to upload them...coming soon :-D

I think the phone withstood the abuse quite well.:thumbsup:

Originally posted by Naan_H
I also need to cancel the pay & go contract when i got the 3GS one year ago - i have lost the sim (just tried looking for it) and never used it - however they will start charging me £10 / month for the web/wifi bolt on - hope it wont be too much hassle.

Really? I never took mine out of its wrapper but you think they're going to start charging? I'll have to look into this.

Really? I never took mine out of its wrapper but you think they're going to start charging? I'll have to look into this.

I dont belive they work like that, as its not a contract its pay and go. if you have a bolt thats say £10 a month and you top up by £15 the 1st £10 will be taken for the bolt on so you are then left with £5 credit.

I could be wrong so best to ring up and check or hopefully someone who on here can confirm :)

The chap in the apple store activated it even though i told him i would do it myself. If you look in the T&C it says that they will automatically charge after 12 months - you have to opportunity to cancel this, but they will text the Pay & Go number with the details of how to do this. I bought the 3GS on my credit card so i assume they will automatically charge this - as i cannot find the sim card ill have to call and cancel. Have a look at the pay and go for iPhone T&Cs on the O2 website

EDIT from the website:

*Unlimited data and Wi-Fi
Data usage whilst roaming not included. Unlimited Wi-Fi is available at any of the 9,500 Wi-Fi hotspots from our partners The Cloud and BT Openzone. Excessive usage policy and full terms apply. At the end of the twelve month free period you will start to be charged £10 per month for the Unlimited Web and Wi-Fi Bolt On. We'll send you a text communication at the end of the twelve month free period to inform you that your free Bolt On is coming to an end and give you advice on how to opt out if required.

Last edited:
The chap in the apple store activated it even though i told him i would do it myself. If you look in the T&C it says that they will automatically charge after 12 months - you have to opportunity to cancel this, but they will text the Pay & Go number with the details of how to do this. I bought the 3GS on my credit card so i assume they will automatically charge this - as i cannot find the sim card ill have to call and cancel. Have a look at the pay and go for iPhone T&Cs on the O2 website

EDIT from the website:

*Unlimited data and Wi-Fi
Data usage whilst roaming not included. Unlimited Wi-Fi is available at any of the 9,500 Wi-Fi hotspots from our partners The Cloud and BT Openzone. Excessive usage policy and full terms apply. At the end of the twelve month free period you will start to be charged £10 per month for the Unlimited Web and Wi-Fi Bolt On. We'll send you a text communication at the end of the twelve month free period to inform you that your free Bolt On is coming to an end and give you advice on how to opt out if required.

Here you go from the pay and go terms

9. If we are unable to deduct the monthly payment for the O2 Web & Wi-Fi Bolt On from your calltime balance, you won't receive your Bolt On monthly allowance. We will deduct the Bolt On monthly charge from your calltime balance within 15 minutes from your next top up and will then reinstate your Bolt On. This will be your new anniversary date. Please note that it may take up to 48 hours for your free Wi-Fi access to be reinstated.

Tariff Small Print

Hope that helps! Now its bed time :)

Edit - HAHA you just beat me too it!!;)

I'm not going to bother calling O2. I got the Favourite Place SIM from O2 online last year, never opened it, never activated it. There's no call time balance on it so they can't take £10 from that. I'll just keep my eye on my bank balance to make sure nothing is taken that shouldn't be.

Ahh, au contraire because they will still take that £10 through adverts :cool:

Post 2 updated with the good, the bad and the ugly

My iPad was delivered from Apple, I don't see why it would be collection only for this.

I asked earlier but got no response, are there any pics of the white iPhone anywhere? I was hoping it would be properly white this time instead of just the back, i'd happily wait for that if they're not available at launch.

Link added of a short video showing the Retina display

how many pictures and how much HD video could be stored on the 16gb iphone 4?

Assuming one or other...just to get a rough idea.

Post 2 updated with a video and added iOS 4 links

Because I like to tease

I was just wondering whether anybody else here feels the same as me.

The retina display. The beautiful but probably easily breakable design. The little upgrades in the iOS.

Apple seems to upgrade their phones each year, not based on what people need or even want, but based on... whatever. Random thing's that are not broken. I want Apple to fix or upgrade what is important instead of seamingly ignoring it each year.

What I'm saying is... how long are we going to have 32gb storage. How long are we going to have no flash? And how long are we going to have relatively poor battery lives!

Now I appreciate Apple has indeed tried to address some faults, the camera and even slightly improving the battery, but they really should be focusing on things like Flash compatability, storage space and battery most of all. New designs are gorgeous and probably make some people want to jump on the new phone, its the reason I've made the plunge this time. But I constantly see Apple upgrading things so slowly, things we don't really even need that they pass off to us like it's important and worth another X amount of money.

iPhone 5/6. 50% more battery life, 64-120gb storage, 8mp camera with real flash and flash support for videos on the interwebs. Pleassseeeeeeeeeee :)

edit: although I will concede one thing. GOOD JOB on the gyro guys :thumbsup: Looks amazing.

I was just wondering whether anybody else here feels the same as me.

The retina display. The beautiful but probably easily breakable design. The little upgrades in the iOS.

Apple seems to upgrade their phones each year, not based on what people need or even want, but based on... whatever. Random thing's that are not broken. I want Apple to fix or upgrade what is important instead of seamingly ignoring it each year.

What I'm saying is... how long are we going to have 32gb storage. How long are we going to have no flash? And how long are we going to have relatively poor battery lives!

Now I appreciate Apple has indeed tried to address some faults, the camera and even slightly improving the battery, but they really should be focusing on things like Flash compatability, storage space and battery most of all. New designs are gorgeous and probably make some people want to jump on the new phone, its the reason I've made the plunge this time. But I constantly see Apple upgrading things so slowly, things we don't really even need that they pass off to us like it's important and worth another X amount of money.

iPhone 5/6. 50% more battery life, 64-120gb storage, 8mp camera with real flash and flash support for videos on the interwebs. Pleassseeeeeeeeeee :)

Do your research mate - Flash on the iPhone is NOT gonna happen! :D

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom