iPhone 4 Proximity Sensor issues

jlm32

Prominent Member
Reaction score
any body done this had the iphone 4 for two days, made about 30 calls been talking to a mate & he says he can not hear me, take the phone away from my ear & the mute button is pressed done this twice,plus have pressed the swap button,:confused: have never done this with my 3gs

Been playing around with the phone since reading the the first post.
I now have a question about the proximity sensor, when dialling from the contacts list the screen goes dark as it should but if I manually type a number in and dial it the screen stays on, is it just me? I thought that during any call the screen would go dark so nothing could be pressed by accident.

Anybody?

Last edited:
Been playing around with the phone since reading the the first post.
I now have a question about the proximity sensor, when dialling from the contacts list the screen goes dark as it should but if I manually type a number in and dial it the screen stays on, is it just me? I thought that during any call the screen would go dark so nothing could be pressed by accident.

Anybody?

I just tried that and can't replicate it.

Strange, just been talking with a mate and his does the same. The proximity sensor seems to not work when I manually type a telephone number in to the keypad and then dial it, sorry to repeat myself but I'm stumped!

I have the same issue and it is a deal breaker for me...

Made 10 phone calls today and 8 of them had issues where I either put the caller on Mute/Hold or cut them off...

I'm giving Apple 13 days to fix this issue otherwise my iPhone 4 will have to go back..

See this thread for a number of people with the issue:

Apple - Support - Discussions - Issue with Proximity Sensor during calls ...

I'm surprised that more people on here haven't mentioned it.
I'll be on the phone to them in the morning reference this and the signal issue.

just spoke to apple about this.told me to restore the phone,& put only my phone contacts & internet setting & do not restore from back up,hope this works,or it's back to the trafford center for my £600 back.:( have used the phone only 2 times today & mute as been on both times,plus been into add a new contact:confused:

Last edited:
I've just tried it by typing in known numbers and numbers that aren't saved in my contact list (my works fax number) and when I bring the phone to my ear the screen goes off.

Taking this as a positive, hopefully it will just be a case of restoring your phone and not a hardware issue

got my money back today :( did what apple told me,still no joy

I'm experiencing this also, muted calls, calls put on hold, calls put on speakerphone, calls cut off and conference calls started.

When this first happened to me I ignored it but today has been very frustrating as vie had these issues non stop.

using my 16gb 3gs what i gave the wife :D plus have bought the wife a 32gb to make up for taking it back of her, will be leaving it a few mts before i buy again :(

It's been reported on 9to5Mac too.

I experienced that same issue mentioned in 9to5mac today too. I was phoning Orange and pressed the numeric keypad to come on so I could choose between their options. I was then put on hold and was holding the phone slightly away from my ear. My cheek pressed the screen several times and I noticed that it had pressed several numbers. I thought that it was either a one off or it was caused by the original factory clear plastic/film that I have left on the screen for protection until I find a more suitable option.

Last edited:
This is such a pain in the arse, I can't believe it hasn't had more replies. Is there another thread on it or something?

This is such a pain in the arse, I can't believe it hasn't had more replies. Is there another thread on it or something?

nope - maybee the mods should rename the thred to Proximity Sensor issues.... ?

I have this problem. Bloody annoying. Beginning to think must be a batch thing though because why isn't everyone raging? Anyone got a solution besides throwing it at the nose of the poor guy on the genius bar?!
:confused:

This proximity problem is a deal breaker for me too. Not really been bothered by the call signal stength problem.

My main concern is that I got the iphone4 on a 18month contract from O2. if the phone cant be fixed by software then I want a refund on the phone and the contract cancelled. Annoyed that I gave my older better contract to get this new shiny glass sandwich:mad:

i have same problem.just got off phone to apple.they said system restore. if problem continues call them back.they gave me a case id..

i have same problem.just got off phone to apple.they said system restore. if problem continues call them back.they gave me a case id..

On the Apple support forums there are now almost 60 pages of users reporting this issue. A system restore isn't going to do anything for you based upon my experience and experience posted on the Apple support forums (link above)

Called aplpe support who advised to do all resets etc. I have called them back to advise it doesnt work so they have advised me to delete a file on my Itunes user account then re-try, if that doesn't work they will swap the phone.

I will try this but what hassle! :mad:

Apple advised me on the 'advanced exchange' if the final restore doesnt work so I am not without the phone for 5-7 days but it will cost me £29.00. MORE MONEY on top of the £600 i have already spent- any chance i will be able to get this waived you think?

So annoyed with them right now :mad::mad::mad:

* * *Mods- feel the title needs changing on this thread because it is misleading and I cant help but feel there are more people here that are affected * * * :lease:

I thought it was possible to get faulty Apple products replaced at the Genius Bar?

I might be wrong.....

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom