Iphone 4 PAYG unlock

tigermad

Distinguished Member
Hi guys

I have never bought a PAYG phone, they have all been on contract. O2 unlocked my 3gs for me a few weeks ago FOC.

My question is if i buy the PAYG Iphone 4 say from O2 and continue using the last 12 months of my existing contract, will I ever be able to get it unlocked? After the 12 months are up I want to see what other operators are offering.

simon69c

As long as they treat the iPhone 4 the same as the 3GS then yes you'll be able to unlock it just fine - you should hopefully be able to do so straightaway in fact (unless O2 decide that the iPhone 4 can't be unlocked straight away after launch)

The way the current iPhone O2 unlock works is pretty simple - if you have an O2 contract SIM in your iPhone (even if it isn't the contract that was taken out with the iPhone - or even if it's not an iPhone contract at all) then you can get it unlocked for free. If you have a PAYG SIM in the iPhone (again doesn't have to be the one the iPhone was bought with - any O2 PAYG SIM will do) then it will cost £15.

You just need to visit this page on the O2 site and fill in the form there and the rest should happen automatically (you'll get a text telling you to connect to iTunes with a non-O2 SIM to complete the process) and once that is done you are officially unlocked.

nick270881

Everyone seems to expect O2 to offer unlocks for iPhone 4 straight away, whilst I hope they do I don't think they will.

It took a good 6 months for them to offer an unlock service for the 3GS, they didn't offer it straight away and also if you were the boss of o2 would you really want people using a different network by offering an unlock or would you want as many people tied into your own network as possible given all the competition this time out???

No1Joker

nick270881 said:
Everyone seems to expect O2 to offer unlocks for iPhone 4 straight away, whilst I hope they do I don't think they will.

It took a good 6 months for them to offer an unlock service for the 3GS, they didn't offer it straight away and also if you were the boss of o2 would you really want people using a different network by offering an unlock or would you want as many people tied into your own network as possible given all the competition this time out???

I would say the more iPhones O2 sell the less everyone else sells. When you're paying O2 £550 for a phone I don't think it matters too much whether you're using their network.

ma1234

I would say the more iPhones O2 sell the less everyone else sells. When you're paying O2 £550 for a phone I don't think it matters too much whether you're using their network.
..but the longer they can tie you into their network, they make even more.

D

Deleted member 171211

It took a good 6 months for them to offer an unlock service for the 3GS, they didn't offer it straight away

O2 started offering unlocks at the point Orange and Vodafone started selling the iPhone. My gut feel is that at the PAYG prices there must be some margin on the phones plus the unlock fee so that O2 don't mind selling and then unlocking them for use on other networks.

cmt

Banned
The locking to the O2 network was while O2 had exclusivity to the iPhone.

Now that that has gone i expect the Unlock situation to carry on as it is at the moment (ie - simple quick unlock)

AlpsUk

Why can't they just sell them unlocked :D

AlpsUk

Might be worth getting it from Carphone Warehouse. Normally their handsets are unlocked.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom