Iphone 4 - OS 4.2.1 - Wifi problems

Oli2k

Established Member
Reaction score
Anyone else having problems with the wifi since the 4.2.1 update?

Mine connects fine and after a bit of usage or when you lock the phone it doesn't work again unless you switch the wifi on and off again? 3G seems fine.

i get this on 4.1.

damn was hoping 4.2 would fix it. drives me nuts.

Well mine seems to be reconnecting to wifi after I (slide to) unlock - not used it long enough to see if it disconnects after x time of use tho...

But it is definitely slower;

29cuus.png

See the difference between the top two speed test, performed after upgrading to 4.2.1, and the rest, that were on 4.0.1 (I never bothered with the 4.1 OS)

However, it does seem to have fixed the auto-send for email tho - prior to this update, any email sent from within an app, such as sending a photo from the Photos app, would just sit in my outbox untill I opened the Mail app, went to Outbox, tapped to open the mail and tapped send - which was a pain! With this update, it now autosends...

Just hope I don't get the problems with it disconnecting or refusing to connect over wifi! Maybe a quick fix will be out with 4.2.2 to re-speed up the wifi?

Speed tests are not a reliable indication of wifi speeds. You can pretty much disregard those results. Not to mention the two month gap and different times of day. Speed tests rely on Internet speed, not Wifi to router speeds.

I have the same problem with the Wi-Fi disconnecting after it locks. Resetting the network settings stopped it doing that for a while, but the problem started again.

Had the same problem with 4.1, was a real pain in the ****. I would be sitting next to the router and the iphone would be swearing blind it could not find the network.

Mine connects to the wireless fine, it just doesn't work unless i renew the lease or start and stop the wifi. Getting really annoying

I was having similar issues and solved all my woes with a new router. My PS3 had an intermittent connection at best, my wife's 3GS was constantly needing to be connected and then reconnected and the same with my iP4. Speeds on all devices were completely inconsistent when you remained connected over a period of time and each time I took the phone out of sleep I had to disconnect and reconnect to the network.

The new router I have is a proper dual band with separate 5GHz and 2.4GHz access. I use the 5GHz for my laptop and the 2.4GHz for everything else. Since setting this up two weeks ago I've not had to disconnect or reconnect once and speed is consistently around 17Mbps.

Speed tests are not a reliable indication of wifi speeds. You can pretty much disregard those results. Not to mention the two month gap and different times of day. Speed tests rely on Internet speed, not Wifi to router speeds.

How do you suggest I test the iphone to wifi speed then?

If I run a speed test, from the same site, on my laptop, I get the same speeds I nearly always do; bouncing around 9.x mbps (on a 10mb line)

So I'd suggest that the iPhone showing speeds of around 2, compared to the ~6 I usually get is a fairly good indication, no?

I have the same problem with the Wi-Fi disconnecting after it locks. Resetting the network settings stopped it doing that for a while, but the problem started again.

As I said, same here too. My wife has a iP4 and hers doesn't have this issue, so its not our router that is the problem.

I called Apple about this a couple of weeks ago. They basically said do a restore to factory settings which would also reload the software on the iP.

Reluctantly I did this after getting fed up of not getting web access and having to keep 'renewing the lease'.

Since then, it has been virtually trouble free, but still needs the v occasional 'renewing the lease' thing but far better than what it was.

Hello -

Updated the firmware last night & i had wifi issues also. My iP4 is set to automatically connect to my network but upon updating, it wouldn't find my network but found a Openzone point it was trying to connect to. I eventually disconnected but the phone tried to re-initiate the connection! If i went into the wifi menu, it was like it had froze. None of the buttons would work (like turning wifi on/off). It's definately related to this new update, i've only had the iP4 for a week & i can assure you that it didn't behave this way before!

Ah well, i'm damn sure 4.2.2 will be in the making soon :suicide:

Last edited:
Hello -

Updated the firmware last night & i had wifi issues also. My iP4 is set to automatically connect to my network but upon updating, it wouldn't find my network but found a Openzone point it was trying to connect to. I eventually disconnected but the phone tried to re-initiate the connection! If i went into the wifi menu, it was like it had froze. None of the buttons would work (like turning wifi on/off). It's definately related to this new update, i've only had the iP4 for a week & i can assure you that it didn't behave this way before!

Ah well, i'm damn sure 4.2.2 will be in the making soon :suicide:

Nothing would annoy me more than not gaining internet wifi access, it is so handy and is basically why I got the iP, for the browser interface as well as display quality. Hope you get it sorted soon.

Nothing would annoy me more than not gaining internet wifi access, it is so handy and is basically why I got the iP, for the browser interface as well as display quality. Hope you get it sorted soon.

Hello mate -

It seems to have cured itself now! Damn i love this phone! :smashin:

This wifi problem existed on my iPhone since upgrading to 4.1.
It does not always connect automatically to programmed wifi networks. It is sometimes slow but not always.
I found that turning Airplane mode on, waiting a minute then turning it off again causes all the connections to be re-established. Wifi works fine after this until I leave the wifi network range then come back and then it may connect, if it does it's often slow and sluggish. Doing the Airplane mode on/off motion sorts it out every time.
So there is a bug of some sort and from what I am reading Apple still has not sorted it out in 4.2.1.
So, I will be waiting a bit longer till they hopefully fix this in the next release. i hope they don't break anything else in the process!!

hello,

My daughter now has my 3GS on 4.2 and its much faster on the home WiFi than my IP4 on 4.2.
She has downloaded 3 game apps including the same one i am currently trying to download. (Spiderman game).

So much for the much improved IP4, even the 3G service is quicker.

My first iPhone so nothing to compare it with but no wi-fi problems (so far!!)

Kwozzii

Attachments

• IMG_0072.PNG
    IMG_0072.PNG
    216.4 KB · Views: 612

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom