• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

iPhone 4: Is it possible to...

grantsteve

Prominent Member
1. Set the display to be 'always on' when the iPhone is charging? I can plug my phone in to my car via a USB dock connector to charge and play music. I'd like to have the screen always on to display album art etc.

2. Control which Bluetooth profiles are used when Bluetooth is swtiched on? My car also has Bluetooth function which I use for the telephone but don't want to use for music streaming as the quality is poor is comparision to dock connection. However I find my phone and car connect both telephone and music streaming profiles automatically and the latter interferes with music playback via the dock connector.

jerryjal

Prominent Member
Hi, not sure about the answer to your Bluetooth question but to answer your first one:
Settings > General > Unlock and then tick never.

gkpm

Prominent Member
When the phone connects the audio to bluetooth you also get an icon with an arrow pointing up to a rectangle (Airplay) next to the volume slider in iTunes.

If you click on that and choose iPhone the audio will flow through the dock connector again.

grantsteve

Prominent Member
Hi, not sure about the answer to your Bluetooth question but to answer your first one:
Settings > General > Unlock and then tick never.

Thanks, will this also keep the screen display on (i.e. stop going to black), as opposed to just stopping it going to the lock screen and then black?

grantsteve

Prominent Member
When the phone connects the audio to bluetooth you also get an icon with an arrow pointing up to a rectangle (Airplay) next to the volume slider in iTunes.

If you click on that and choose iPhone the audio will flow through the dock connector again.

Thanks - but is there anything I can set that won't require additional button presses on the phone after I get into the car and plug it in to the dock?

gkpm

Prominent Member
I'll answer both if jerryjal doesn't mind :)

The display off setting is actually under Settings > General > Auto-Lock. If you set it to "Never" the display will remain on (until you press the power/sleep button of course).

However it'll do this regardless of whether the phone is on or off the charger, so if you later on forget to lock it manually or don't set the auto-lock back when it's off the charger you'll waste the battery quite quickly.

Re bluetooth, no sorry, I think you'll have to select the right output each time. But give it a try, the phone sometimes keeps its last settings for some things, it may default to iphone output if that was how you used it last.

I guess the car doesn't have a way to just switch off its Bluetooth audio (also called A2DP) either?

Last edited:

grantsteve

Prominent Member
I guess the car doesn't have a way to just switch off its Bluetooth audio (also called A2DP) either?

It does, but unfortunately only manually which means more button presses each time I get in. It defaults to picking up both profiles from the phone.

jerryjal

Prominent Member
I'll answer both if jerryjal doesn't mind :)

No problem pal, for "unlock" I meant "auto-lock", it's Friday please forgive me!
:D

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom