iPhone 4 - Cutting Tesco Mobile PAYG Sim with scissors

keysersoze123

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hey forum,

Just wondering if someone can help me out. Tesco mobile at present do not offer the iPhone 4 on their PAY as you GO service. However, in other contexts, I have read about people buying sim cards, and cutting them down to micro sim size with a pair of scissors, in order to fit in an iPhone 4.

I was wondering therefore if I could purchase a sim free iPhone 4, and then buy a Tesco Mobile Pay as you go sim card, and cut it down to size, and would it then work in an iPhone 4? I'm worried that even if I cut it to perfect size, the Tesco network will just recognise that it's a pay as you go sim in an iPhone 4, and it simply might not work.

Also, could it potentially work at first, and then they figure it out and block the sim from working at a later date (seems unlikely)?

I really can't afford to get this wrong, as the phone costs £500-£600 sim free, and tesco mobile is the only network which is cheap enough on PAYG to warrant me going pay as you go. Otherwise I'll get a contract.

If anyone could shed some definitive light, that would be really great. I'll try calling tesco tomorrow, but I doubt they'll tell me it's possible, even if it is!

Also, would there be issues with 3g internet/data usage, as this is an iPhone specific feature, and Tesco mobile might not have a price plan for PAYG data?

Many thanks,

Keyser

Last edited:
No reason why that wouldn't work.

Just be very careful with the cutting (there are templates on line and sim cutters on ebay).

Any data plan should work on the iphone without any problems.

try ebay. search for sim cutter or micro sim cutter. they are selling for £8 ish. just pop in and cut perfect every time..... apparently

try ebay. search for sim cutter or micro sim cutter. they are selling for £8 ish. just pop in and cut perfect every time..... apparently

Hey thanks, but do you know if it will definitely work with Tesco mobile if I buy a sim free iPhone? They specifically don't offer iPhone on pay as you go, but maybe it's just cos Tesco don't produce micro sims.

I cut mine when i first got it, dead easy!

I used it on my existing contract with O2 until my number had ported over.

Hey thanks, but do you know if it will definitely work with Tesco mobile if I buy a sim free iPhone? They specifically don't offer iPhone on pay as you go, but maybe it's just cos Tesco don't produce micro sims.

Yes it definitely works. I've got an unlocked iphone 4 with a tesco payg sim in it.
If you put 10 pound of credit on it they give you an extra 20 pound of credit for that month. You can then use your original 10 pound of credit to pay for the 2 pound a week, 100mb data package. I find the 100mb a week is enough for my needs.
Also any calls etc.. that are made within the month is taken from the free credit and not the 10 pound you put on.
:clap:

I use a Tesco PAYG sim in my iPhone with no problems .. why should there be? You buy the phone from them and they are happy.You buy a sim from them and they are happy,end of.
I cannot recommend this deal from them highly enough however.It's the one that I have from them....

http://www.avforums.com/forums/netw...0pm-too-good-true-compared-o2-simplicity.html

Hey, I came across this on Tesco's website, but I'm a bit confused? Isn't it only for 1 month or something?

It's a rolling 30 day contract. If you do not provide the minimum notice to cancel then it rolls over to the next month. Hence you can maintain it for as long as you require it, on a month to month basis

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom