• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

iPhone 4 as a stop gap phone?

WhyAyeMan

Right, so I have been considering changing my mobile phone, I currently use an iPhone 3G, and its about 19 months into my ownership of it. I started to get a bit bored with it, hence wanting a change.

Originally I swapped for an HTC Desire, which I was quite happy with but I had a few mainly network related issues so I took it back and cancelled the contract... but it gave me an appetite for an Android phone as I really like Android (it kind of took me back to my Windows Mobile days, only better).

So I used my iPhone for a little while, while I waited for the new iPhone 4. I have already considered a Samsung Galaxy S, due to its large screen, and fast processor, but the thoughts of possible delayed updates, no camera flash, and iffy build quality put me off a little (but its quite keenly priced on contracts). Also the Nexus One due to the fact that Android updates would reach it first, but I've read issues of touch screen faults, and the screen is very poor in sunlight (like the desire), its also very expensive for what it is.

I also think Android is not quite there yet in v2.1 which is pretty much what all the handsets have now. If the Galaxy S had v2.2 on I'd probably have gone for it by now (and there's no absolute guarantee it will ever get it).

So, thought I, its iPhone for me again. The last couple of days I've tried one out on two occasions, and I'm just not feeling it. Sure its faster, has a better screen and camera, but TBH, it just felt like using a slightly more polished version of what I've got.

However, I thought to myself, I could get one from Tesco, £350, 12 month £20 contract, and if a decent Android phone came out at xmas then flog it, I should get all of my money back or even make a slight profit...

So my options are:

1. Keep my current trusty iphone which has no signal issues(!) until a decent Android phone comes out.

2. Get an iPhone 4 as a stop gap until a decent Android phone comes out

3. Just get an Android phone now (but then I might regret not waiting!)

Any thoughts?

Steven

Senior Moderator
You can always be waiting. And how do you know x Android new release in November will not have teething problems at launch?

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom