iPhone 4 and CPW with O2

Dave

Distinguished Member
Having a bleeding nightmare with these at the moment.

I've got 2 months of my contract left to run and have ordered an iPhone 4 from apple. Obviously I'm not just going to chuck away the last 2 months of my contract so I'm trying to get a micro sim for my new iPhone.

I phoned CPW who stated that "they did not support the iPhone at all". Fine I thought, I'll just sort it out through o2. I ordered a micro sim from them which dropped through the door today. However I've just tried to swap it over and the website says I'm not an o2 customer.:mad:

What the hell am I supposed to do then? CPW refuse to accept the iPhone exists and o2 tell me I'm not a customer of theirs.:rolleyes:

I'm tempted to just phone them and tell them to stick their contract where the sun doesn't shine.

p9ul

Distinguished Member
Can't you go to Myo2 and sign in there?

If you don't have a login, you can enter your mob no and they'll text it to you.

Dave

Distinguished Member
Right, just had a phone call from CPW.

If you are with o2 through the CPW you will not be able to simply transfer your sim as CPW do not support the iPhone at all, they simply sell it and connect you to o2.

In order to get a sim for the iPhone I would have to upgrade and go on an 18 or 24 month contract and be migrated to o2 proper.

What a silly way of doing business, they have now lost my custom as I'll be cancelling my contract and just going on PAYG.

oasismark

Distinguished Member
Your contract is with O2, so its a O2 problem to sort i would say.

Who takes cash from your account?

If its O2, then you are a customer.

Stop the diect debits and see who comes calling. :devil:

Dave

Distinguished Member
Can't you go to Myo2 and sign in there?

If you don't have a login, you can enter your mob no and they'll text it to you.
Yep, I also get a discount on my broadband bill which makes the situation even more ridiculous.

Your contract is with O2, so its a O2 problem to sort i would say.

Who takes cash from your account?

If its O2, then you are a customer.

Stop the diect debits and see who comes calling. :devil:
I'm billed by CPW. I think I'm just gonna cancel and go on simplicity with o2.

AlpsUk

You'll be better off butchering the sim card with a pair of scissors :D

a l e x

Distinguished Member
What do you mean your billed by CPW?

I got my iPhone contract from CPW too... didn't expect to get any problems?!

What do you mean your billed by CPW?

I got my iPhone contract from CPW too... didn't expect to get any problems?!
Yup, this is why the networks always recommend going directly through them. Basically CPW have signed you up to O2, they make commission on sales to the network and they should deal with all aspects of your contract. When I was at O2 we weren't able to upgrade CPW on O2 as they use a separate billing system - hence why in O2's eyes your not a 'proper' O2 customer.

a l e x

Distinguished Member
What a load of nonsense. My emails come from o2, my paper bills come for o2... not happy if that means I cant transfer my sim.

fat jez

Distinguished Member

p9ul

Distinguished Member
All very confusing - I got my 3G at launch through CPW and switched to simplicity in January, I've always had bills through from O2 rather than CPW though...

Nuttynutter123

surely if you told them you have lost / broke your sim they would activate a new one... once they ask for the new sim number give them the micro-sim one?

hybridtheory

Hi

I'm an o2 customer via CPW, I've just ended my contract with them and got a PAC number txt to me yesterday. Hopefully I don't have any issues when I go to my local Apple store next Thursday.

Baz

a l e x

Distinguished Member
Hm, well ive just called o2 to ask about this. I specifically asked the guy whether I was billed by o2 or by CPW... he said that CPW do hold some of the contracts and they cannot see their billing etc on their systems which I assume is the problem you have Dave? According to the guy though I AM billed by o2 so hopefully this will mean no problems??

Also Dave, when calling o2 what do they say? Do they not have access to your account/bills etc etc?

Dave

Distinguished Member
Hi sorry for the delay, only just got back from work.

If you have previously had an iPhone contract through CPW then you will be with o2 full stop. CPW don't deal with any aspect of iPhone tariffs etc except selling them. If you get an iPhone they simply put you on a contract with o2 and pretty much transfer you to o2's system.

If however like me you have had a normal phone or tarrif through CPW then you will be billed and have your contract with o2 at the CPW which is a separate entity to o2 hence the problems.

When I call o2 and input my phone number I am taken through automatically to 02 at the CPW customer services. My bills come from CPW, not o2.

The problem is that even if I managed to get a micro sim and transferred it over, CPW would know it's an iPhone and it either wouldn't work or I'd get charged for the data used.

Very frustrating indeed as I'm going to have to pay for the last 2 months of contract anyway. Oh well, I'm phoning them up on Saturday and getting a pac code and moving to o2 direct on a simplicity tariff.

NickRno77

Hi sorry for the delay, only just got back from work.

If you have previously had an iPhone contract through CPW then you will be with o2 full stop. CPW don't deal with any aspect of iPhone tariffs etc except selling them. If you get an iPhone they simply put you on a contract with o2 and pretty much transfer you to o2's system.

If however like me you have had a normal phone or tarrif through CPW then you will be billed and have your contract with o2 at the CPW which is a separate entity to o2 hence the problems.

When I call o2 and input my phone number I am taken through automatically to 02 at the CPW customer services. My bills come from CPW, not o2.

The problem is that even if I managed to get a micro sim and transferred it over, CPW would know it's an iPhone and it either wouldn't work or I'd get charged for the data used.

Very frustrating indeed as I'm going to have to pay for the last 2 months of contract anyway. Oh well, I'm phoning them up on Saturday and getting a pac code and moving to o2 direct on a simplicity tariff.
I am in exactly the same situation you are in, I have a CPW O2 smartphone simplicity contract, I plan to cut down my existing standard sim to a micro sim and use it in my iPhone 4.

"The problem is that even if I managed to get a micro sim and transferred it over, CPW would know it's an iPhone and it either wouldn't work or I'd get charged for the data used."

How do you know above for sure? I have made many enquiries about this to other iPhone 3Gs users and they have had no problem using non iPhone sim in iPhones.

BTW Dave, Give CPW loyalty team a ring and see what they can do for you I'm fairly sure they won't want to loose you as a customer :) My 18 month contract ran out last month and when I rang them they gave me a 1 month Simplicity Contract for £20 which gives me 600 minutes, 1200 txt (which is double) and Unlimited Internet.

Cheers

Last edited:
I am in exactly the same situation you are in, I have a CPW O2 smartphone simplicity contract, I plan to cut down my existing standard sim to a micro sim and use it in my iPhone 4.

"The problem is that even if I managed to get a micro sim and transferred it over, CPW would know it's an iPhone and it either wouldn't work or I'd get charged for the data used."

How do you know above for sure? I have made many enquiries about this to other iPhone 3Gs users and they have had no problem using non iPhone sim in iPhones.

Cheers
I'm using a non-iPhone sim in an iPhone, no problems with additional data charges or anything like that!

NickRno77

I'm using a non-iPhone sim in an iPhone, no problems with additional data charges or anything like that!
I will be interested to hear Dave's response, maybe/hopefully ******** from someone at CPW ?

Last edited by a moderator:

Dave

Distinguished Member
I will be interested to hear Dave's response, maybe/hopefully ******** from someone at CPW ?
I was under the impression that they know what phone it is being used in and will charge you for data as I am not on an iPhone tarriff.

Besides which I can't cut my sim down as there are metal bits where I need to trim it to.

I spoke to the "loyalty" department who said that of course they can give me an iPhone, if I sign another 18 or 24 month contract. No thanks very much, the guy also exclaimed "pay as you go on an iPhone" when I told him that's what I wanted.

I've cancelled my contract with them now and am glad to be rid of them to be honest. I was however told that I would get my PAC code within 72 hours and unsurprisingly I haven't so I'll be speaking to them again in a bit.

SeaneyC

Besides which I can't cut my sim down as there are metal bits where I need to trim it to.
Same with my T-Mobile SIM, doesn't matter though, just cut it down anyway, it has been working for people using it in iPads! :smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Marantz SR7015 & NAD T 778 AVR + Mission LX2 MKII Speaker Reviews, AV & Film News and More

Latest News

LG Display teams with Disney for OLED Projects
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Campfire Audio updates Vega and Dorado earphones
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Oppo launches S1 and R1 4K smart TVs
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Lithe Audio AirPlay 2 ceiling speakers world's first
  • By Andy Bassett