iphone 4 activation

bulldoze

ok I got my new iphone and apple said that it was activated in store (they put the sim in the phone) I have synced with itunes and all looked good but it said activation might take awhile.

5 hours later and I still have a brick - what am i doing wrong? when I connected to itunes I told it to restore from a backup of my old iphone 3g was this ok to do this?

and another thing, I really cannot get my head around the authorised devices thing. I never get the chance to deauthorise devices as they usually break or get lost. is there any way of resetting this? I had this trouble with spotify as well, it is saying I have more than 3 devices tied to that account - I havent!

Hope someone can help!

dwhite

Not sure about your activation, but as for authorising in itunes, your allowed upto 5 computers, you hit the limit of five and you will get an option to reset all. I've had to do this in the past due to reinstalling windows, which itunes then sees as a new PC.

Annerz

Standard Member
I also have a very expensive brick here. Did exaactly the same as you. I have not hit my total of authorised computers, just NO SERVICE. Could it be that the sim has not been activated yet? Should this have been done in store?

D20PAX

Novice Member
I also have a very expensive brick here. Did exaactly the same as you. I have not hit my total of authorised computers, just NO SERVICE. Could it be that the sim has not been activated yet? Should this have been done in store?

was told by 02 that sim is not active. will take all night due to how busy there servers are:rolleyes:

suitcase

Novice Member
My brother got his new o2 contract from apple at 7.30am... Still waiting for it to be activating. It's just showing No Service. Anyone else waited this long??! It's been 7 hours now!! :confused:

RockSteddie

My brother got his new o2 contract from apple at 7.30am... Still waiting for it to be activating. It's just showing No Service. Anyone else waited this long??! It's been 7 hours now!! :confused:
Same here for me :rolleyes:

chrisba

Just got off the phone to o2, the guy said my sim was activated early this morning and there is no issues on their side. Just have to keep re-booting and wait basically. He also said to try Apple to see if they can recommend anything.

Oooooooooo, same here. I was waiting for it to activate itself but as soon as i rebooted it picked up a signal. Happy days!

jwalsh82

This is doing my head in, I even cut down my old sim to try and use it for now, but I messed it up hahaha.

LLcoolDave

Novice Member
mine just came up, thats around 2 hrs since I called o2.

I dont want to tell anyone how to suck eggs, but I didnt realise there were any instructions to follow with regard to activating my micro sim.
O2 | iPhone 4 Standard to Micro Sim Swap | Swap your standard SIM for a Micro SIM
I just cut out the sim put it in the iphone4 and sat there, you have to get it activated-I rang o2 and they needed my microsim number.
Im saying this cus mine had the message on screen that it was "activating and may take some time" but actually it wasnt and was a good job I called o2.
Hope this helps someone

andyr300

that O2 website doesnt work for me, I think the equivalent may have already happened as I ran through he set-up in iTunes, if its not working by the morning i'll give O2 a call and get themto sort it out for me :)

andrew markwort

Novice Member
Erm, I don't suppose it's occurred to any of you that there are 10000000000000000 other new users all trying to activate at the same time?

chrisba

My iPhone 4 that i got from the o2 store at 9am this morning is still not activated. Its doing my head right in!!

Who else is in the same boat?

:(

tigermad

Distinguished Member
Husbands Iphone from 9am this morning hasn't.

He had a microsim activated from a previous contract (using mysim thing) but decided to transfer it to the sim that came with the phone (apple did it).
I kept my microsim I activated myself a few days ago and all is fine, bet hubby wished he had done the same :(

D20PAX

Novice Member
mine was dead up untill about 20 mins ago were we got signal:clap:

got to say i love this phone but there are alot of messing about today that i could have done without:lesson:

chrisba

Erm, I don't suppose it's occurred to any of you that there are 10000000000000000 other new users all trying to activate at the same time?
Fair enough but Apple knew this would happen, i think its poor that it takes 12 hours to activate a mobile phone. :mad:

andrew markwort

Novice Member
Fair enough but Apple knew this would happen, i think its poor that it takes 12 hours to activate a mobile phone.
In fairness, I think there's only so much planning that can be done. I don't know if this is apocryphal, but I've heard that in the USA, mobile phones are a way more popular Christmas present even than here. Apparently, on Christmas Day, the phone companies make all efforts possible to accommodate new users, but even so, the delay to get your new phone connected can be 12 hours or more. As US phones come pre-enabled to dial emergency numbers, thousands of our dumber American cousins, impatient to see if their phone works, dial 911 ...

Annerz

Standard Member
After much messing around, I finally got connected at 9pm.
it turned out that the salesperson hadn't completed activation properly. :oops:

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 OLED TV Review: The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020

Latest News

Melco anniversary edition N10 library announced
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Disney+ UK for November 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Denon, Marantz and Yamaha AV receivers hit by HDMI 2.1 bug
  • By Andy Bassett