iPhone 4, 4S or 5?

Bill Badger

Standard Member
Reaction score
Both the T-Mobile contract for my phone and my son's is due for renewal in the next three weeks. The last two years we have used Windows 7 phones, and whilst generally ok, I'm fed up with not being able to use BBC iPlayer whilst out in my car. (For those of you who don't know, you can't get BBC iPlayer on Windows phones - even the new Windows 8 phones, and the sales staff either don't know or just don't tell you until after the purchase!). There are other issues that I'm not keen on, and since we have both converted to Macs and iPads over the last year or two, the obvious choice is to go with the iPhone this time. Hence the title of this thread - Which one?

iPhone 4 - I suspect a bit long in the tooth now, so almost certainly will be ignored.
iPhone 4S - Still pretty good I suspect, and unless a long way behind the iPhone 5 is surely a worthy contender....
iPhone 5 - Is it worth the extra cost over that of the iPhone 4S?

We know that Apple Service can be very good, but it's preferable to have reliability such that we don't have to think too much about warranty.

Your comments are welcome..... :)

Go for iPhone 5 if you can afford it. It's lighter, faster processor and bigger screen size. Also, it's a 4G phone meaning that you can get faster internet on the go. Only EE are offering 4G service at the moment

Agree with above, iPhone 5. I left iPhone and got a S3. Loved the screen size but the phone was "laggy" and not pocketable or good hardware wise.

Daughter has an iPhone 4 and its surprising how light iPhone 5 feels to it.

If you can afford it go with the 5, also with your other Apple stuff Macs and iPads they integrate great, iCloud, iMessage, cloud safari tabs etc.

The service, of you need it, is fantastic also. Any probs with phone walk into Apple store (or phone up if not near one), you'll walk out with a working one. None of this sending to manufacturer, waiting weeks, being without a phone etc.

5S will be released in the next 3 to 6 months.

muffins said:
This ain't htc :p

6-8 months. :rotfl:

I'm after a 5 for the daughter and she can give the wife her 4, But at this time I'm a little worried about when the 5S will come as well.

I'm thinking about buying secondhand 16 GB are around £380. Would you consider this?

I'm after a 5 for the daughter and she can give the wife her 4, But at this time I'm a little worried about when the 5S will come as well.

I'm thinking about buying secondhand 16 GB are around £380. Would you consider this?

I wouldn't consider a 16gb anymore. I have a 16gb and wish I'd gone for the 32.

Apps for the 5 are larger, 1080P video and 8mp photos take up more room.

It's funny really, I have an iPhone 5 and have had all the other iPhones, yes I have other apple gear and it does integrate nicely... but the screen in too small for me now and I'm going to move over to the HTC One, It's the best handset out there and the screen is on another level, yes I'm going over to android but I'm afraid to say it but apple need to up there game....

It's funny really, I have an iPhone 5 and have had all the other iPhones, yes I have other apple gear and it does integrate nicely... but the screen in too small for me now and I'm going to move over to the HTC One, It's the best handset out there and the screen is on another level, yes I'm going over to android but I'm afraid to say it but apple need to up there game....

I'd like a larger screen too and flirted with the idea of getting the one or the s4 but have changed my mind.

I would be giving up far more going over to android than I would just gaining a larger screen.

Last edited:
I tried a Sensation XE and then an S3. Preferred screen size to tbh but the large size is off putting (for me) and because of all my other Apple stuff I came back.

Screen size on 5 took bit of getting used to but used to it now. Hopefully iOS 7 has some extras like swiftkey-esq keyboard etc

Last edited:
For me, its the 4S.

The 5 seems too tall and thin (kinda out of proportion), and the change in dock connectors, although done for the right reasons is a pain for anyone with a high number of compatible accessories (Alarm Clock / Stereo / Kitchen Stereo / Car Stereo etc)

The 4s isn't slow by any means for most of the day to day stuff (Dont play games with the exception of Words With Friends) so will do for the forseeable.

Agree with above, iPhone 5. I left iPhone and got a S3. Loved the screen size but the phone was "laggy" and not pocketable or good hardware wise.

Daughter has an iPhone 4 and its surprising how light iPhone 5 feels to it.

If you can afford it go with the 5, also with your other Apple stuff Macs and iPads they integrate great, iCloud, iMessage, cloud safari tabs etc.

The service, of you need it, is fantastic also. Any probs with phone walk into Apple store (or phone up if not near one), you'll walk out with a working one. None of this sending to manufacturer, waiting weeks, being without a phone etc.

I second this. Go with the iPhone 5 if you can afford it. If not, then consider the 4S, but the 4S will be an 'out of date' kit in a year or so so a 5 is your best bet.

Applecare service is second to none. Can't fault it at all.

I actually prefer the size of the 4S, large phones just don't do it for me. Plus, on the black one, the styling is better with the metal band around the outside.

I actually prefer the size of the 4S, large phones just don't do it for me. Plus, on the black one, the styling is better with the metal band around the outside.
The size is minimal really and it's skinner and lighter. Having a 5 for a while now when I pick up the daughters 4 it really does feel bulkier and heavier. Also the screen is much better as in its 16:9 spec.

The size is minimal really and it's skinner and lighter. Having a 5 for a while now when I pick up the daughters 4 it really does feel bulkier and heavier. Also the screen is much better as in its 16:9 spec.

It is bulkier and heavier... and a surprising number of people, including me, prefer the way it feels to the the 5. The extra height of the 5 does make a difference IMHO to the way it handles and I'm not sure I like it. I'm unconvinced that the taller screen is that much better. At the end of the day it's all largely subjective, isn't it?

The bottom line is though, that the 4s is old tech and the lightning connector, 4g capability, etc is the future. I wouldn't swap my 5 for a 4s, but I do miss things about it.

cmt said:
for me, its the 4s.

The 5 seems too tall and thin (kinda out of proportion), and the change in dock connectors, although done for the right reasons is a pain for anyone with a high number of compatible accessories (alarm clock / stereo / kitchen stereo / car stereo etc)

the 4s isn't slow by any means for most of the day to day stuff (dont play games with the exception of words with friends) so will do for the forseeable.

+1

I find the now when I pick up my wife's iPhone 4 it's too short and fat, looks squashed up. It also feels unnecessarily heavy.

Also the lightning dock and the micro drilled holes look much more elegant than the massive 30 pin and mesh.

I also like how Apple made the mesh for the earpiece darker so it blends in with the glass.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom