iPhone 3GS O2 contract and PAYG discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

SecretSquirrel

Established Member
Reaction score
With all the threads about the phone itself, I thought one just about the network/tariffs would be helpful. As of 20:00 on 8th June, O2 customer services didn't have any dates/prices etc to provide.

If you find out any information regarding this, post in here :smashin:.

UPDATE 9th June

Excellent price comparison spreadsheet by Cyborgmatt with phone, tariff, and overall monthly costs.

Latest Info

Pay Monthly Tariffs

Pay & Go Tariffs

Edit to add O2 on Twitter

More info from O2 Twitter...

At 21:20

Our price changes will be live on the site soon, we're logging now but will be back tomorrow. More question answering then!

and

The early upgrade cost is likely to be monthly cost x months left on your cotract, but specifics may vary slightly

Last edited:
O2 website still listing just 3G and at normal price.

I'm hoping they are going to offer upgrades at a similar level to last time, with an extend contract option :)

Well if upgrades within contract in the US are going to cost $499 v $299 on a new contract I can't see O2 letting folk upgrade for nothing or the same cost as a new customer.

O2 website still listing just 3G and at normal price.

I think they will put the 32GB 3GS in at the existing 16GB 3G's price and the 16GB 3GS at the 8GB's price and drop the 8GB 3G to £250'ish

The prices in the states seem to have went that way

Last edited:
Apple UK seem to be indicating that the GS will go straight to PAYG. That was a surprise. I expected the new phone to be a contract only phone - for a while at least.

Now, just let us know the price - I've been wanting to ditch my 2G 8GB for a while, and almost bought a 16GB PAYG 3G a week ago - glad I held out now - a 32GB GS looks just what I'm after.

If the 16GB 3GS is available on PAYG for about £300 then I may well upgrade for the extra memory, the mrs has her eye on my 3G anyway. :)

US Pricing:

New and end-of-contract pricing is set at $199 for 16GB and $299 for 32GB when it goes on sale June 18th Stateside and in 80 more countries in August -- and the current 8GB 3G will remain on sale for $99, effective immediately. You'll have to pay a bit more if you're mid-contract, though -- $299 for the 3G and $399/$499 for the 3G S.

How do we think that will translate into £££££ I think it might be dearer than the old iPhone due to the shocking fall in the pound, every other electronic good seems to be dearer now I think this is next.

Current Apple Store...

11242667.jpg

Do you think I could upgrade from my current iPhone 3G 8GB to the new one?

I am on PAYG, would I get a discount of some kind?

When do you reckon we will get pricing news? Surely they should have this all prepared ready to release when the store update went live!

Do you think I could upgrade from my current iPhone 3G 8GB to the new one?

I am on PAYG, would I get a discount of some kind?

Doubt you'd get any discount. What have you got that O2 want to give you a discount for? You're on PAYG, spending very little in their eyes, compared to someone on £35/month contract.

You'd be better off selling the 3G in the classifieds and putting it towards a 3GS imho.

Ahh that sucks.

Damn it.

I don't have like another £350!! :mad:

I see they have ensured they make you pay for tethering as well ........ not really shocking but another £15 for 3gb is a joke.

Well if upgrades within contract in the US are going to cost $499 v $299 on a new contract I can't see O2 letting folk upgrade for nothing or the same cost as a new customer.

UK contracts have always been more subsidised than the US, perhaps a more competitive market? Either way, they get their money back from us paying through the teeth for a contract :p

Mazuma Mobile will pay £200 (or a £220 Argos voucher) for a 16gb 3G - that would make an upgrade to the 3GS very reasonable indeed....

Mazuma Mobile will pay £200 (or a £220 Argos voucher) for a 16gb 3G - that would make an upgrade to the 3GS very reasonable indeed....

Or you could get £250+ on the classifieds on here! ;)

Hmm, "coming soon", looks promising! I have a couple of mates waiting with bated breath..

According to the page on the Apple Store, the 3GS goes up to 32GB max storage (no surprise really), comes with a better camera (3MP, autofocus, "tap to focus", video recording), 2x improved performance, voice control and Compass3 (turn-by-turn GPS?) and better battery life. As expected, it looks exactly the same physically.

I'm stuck with my iPhone 3G for the next year or so (got to ride out my 18 month contract) but at least I'm not missing anything too significant. Still gonna be jealous of 3GS owners though!

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom