iphone 3gs "insurance claimed" phone-any good?

KEV-HKR

Standard Member
Reaction score
I have been offered a cheap iphone 3gs from my niece who has it spare after claiming for one on her phone insurance and then getting the phone back. When she claimed for a new one she asked them how to send the old one back if it turned up (left it in a taxi) and was told it would be hers and she didn't need to send it back. Well, it did turn up - luckily she knows the taxi receptionist who asked around for her - so she has just used it as a sat nav and left it in her car which seems a waste so I offered her to swap it for my ipod. The thing is, is the phone blocked in any way or could I have it repaired if it develops a fault? I don't want it if it is 'listed' as lost/stolen or anything. Cheers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Seeing as your niece made the insurance claim then I can only assume the insurance company passed on the details for that 3GS to be blocked. You could try popping in your SIM to see but it's a very good bet that it's been blocked

Last edited:
As the phone has been reported lost to an insurance company I could only assume that it would now be classed as handling stolen goods.

Your niece should contact the insurance company and ask them what she should do with it but as dc8900 has said they will have had it blocked and once blocked it cant be reversed.

Last edited:
If what the OP said is all true then if she has found her *own* phone again having lost it, then there would be no theft or handling.

And if the phone company block a phone, they can unblock it again. Only they are lawfully allowed to unblock it

It is unlikely though that your niece's insurance would allow her to keep legal title to her old phone if she was given a replacement by the insurers. Call them or check the contract and you're more likely to find that the old phone now belongs to them. If that was the case then you *would* both be committing theft if she gave it to you and you kept it.

Call them!

Joe

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom