• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

iPhone 3GS hardware and owners thread

Markee

Just announced new iPhone – the 3GS – or 3G Speed:

Faster
Supports 7.2HSPDA (broadband 3G, basically)
Voice Control
3MP Camera, with spot focus
Digital Compass
Now records video from camera and posts to MMS, YouTube, email etc direct from iPhone
New Support for Nike+
Remote wipe, encrypted iTunes backups
Better battery life
$199 for 16Mb and new 32Gb for $299 (no UK prices given)
iPhone 3GS available from in US, Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Spain, Switzerland, UK from June 19th

Mod Comment: Thread title edited to make this the focus thread for all hardware discussion

Last edited by a moderator:

pabulous

Sounds interesting. I've been mulling over getting an iPhone for a while, now it seems the right time to take the plunge. I hope the release date is soon though as I'm getting rather anxious.

A tad disappointed really, i was watching the WDCC myself, I was hoping the new iphone would have changed in appearance somewhat.

tony kop77

I bought my iphone 3g in April, will I be able to upgrade even for a fee to the new 3Gs? 3.0 is out next week isn't it?

I don't think 02/Apple will upgrade this time round, or at least not for recent customers.

RobM

Distinguished Member
Utter, utter rubbish.

The original iPhone got away with being rubbish technically as the ecosystem and UI made it something new and unique. That's all old-hat now, it's not new anymore and other OS's are catching or have caught up.

NOTHING Apple have announced does anything to move the game forward. Nothing new, nothing exciting, nothing worth changing a 3G for.

Lower prices are always welcome, but otherwise the 3.0 software does all the good stuff.

The only things the 3GS does is:

3.0 MP camera with auto focus
Improved performance
Built-in video camera with editing
Voice Control
Compass

Rubbish.

Last edited:

Hitby

fyi the 3.0 software will work on your current iPhone as well

mundstick

Excellent. I have been waiting to for this news to order my new iPhone. I am also a little disappointed that they have not changed the styling at all but will be ordering one anyway :D

pabulous

Excellent. I have been waiting to for this news to order my new iPhone. I am also a little disappointed that they have not changed the styling at all but will be ordering one anyway :D
All this fuss about the styling. I think it looks rather nice as it is!

RobM

Distinguished Member
All this fuss about the styling. I think it looks rather nice as it is!

I think it looks dated. Sit it next to a Magic, Palm Pre or Touch HD and it's dated looking. The screen sits in the middle of a sea of nothing and the design has been around for years now.

Kieron

Distinguished Member
Utter, utter rubbish.

The original iPhone got away with being rubbish technically as the ecosystem and UI made it something new and unique. That's all old-hat now, it's not new anymore and other OS's are catching or have caught up.

NOTHING Apple have announced does anything to move the game forward. Nothing new, nothing exciting, nothing worth changing a 3G for.

Lower prices are always welcome, but otherwise the 3.0 software does all the good stuff.

The only things the 3GS does is:

3.0 MP camera with auto focus
Improved performance
Built-in video camera with editing
Voice Control
Compass

Rubbish.

Totally agree. What a TERRIBLE update this is. It's basically iPhone 3.1

Very very disappointed, only redeeming factor is my 3G 16GB iPhone is pretty much worth today what it was yesterday.

Poor show Apple regarding iPhone. :thumbsdow

RobM

Distinguished Member
The only good news is for people who have been waiting for the new model before committing. They will now have the choice of the 3GS and the original 3G cheaper.

My Mrs' is after a iPod Touch so will now keep an eye out for a cheap 3G deal on O2.

But as I've said all along, if you have a 3G you need a damn good reason to upgrade. I don't think 32GB and a 3.0MP camera is it.

kempez

Owning a 3G 8GB I want a 16gb phone. The camera and extra speed of the new phone, plus more storage is going to be a worthwhile upgrade for me. 3.0 software fixes pretty much every gripe I had with the OS.

I have never been a huge Apple fan but my iPhone really is a nice piece of kit, both sylistically and usability-wise.

Sure if you don't like the styling then you won't like it, but I've not seen another pda-type phone that looks as nice to my eyes :)

Zarch

Did they announce the "matt" tactile-back to the 3GS phone as per rumoured? It still looks shiny to me as per the 3G.

raigraphixs

Distinguished Member
The only good news is for people who have been waiting for the new model before committing. They will now have the choice of the 3GS and the original 3G cheaper.

My Mrs' is after a iPod Touch so will now keep an eye out for a cheap 3G deal on O2.

But as I've said all along, if you have a 3G you need a damn good reason to upgrade. I don't think 32GB and a 3.0MP camera is it.

still confused, so what is x2 faster? hardware or software 3.0..

Spooky

Kinda both, Software 3 is faster at showing Java etc and the 3GS is faster again but also faster at opening apps.

Markee

This is what the chaps from Apple said today of the 3GS:

"2.1x faster to launch Messages, 2.4x to load SimCity, 3.6x faster to load an Excel attachment, 2.9x faster to load a large website."

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom