Iphone 3g whilst abroad - cost?

maclover

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm off to Canary Islands soon, and currently with :
Tesco mobile sim only contract 500mb free internet to use with my Iphone 3gs.

As silly as this possibly sounds, will the internet/using the 3g network cost when I am abroad?

Any help is appreciated.

Cheers

Yes it will cost if you use it. Talk to your operator as to how much.

Yes, it will cost a lot, best not to use it all and turn off data roaming.

Cheers guys, best have to turned off.
Try and hi-jack some wifi while i'm out there.

Hi,

As above, don't use 3G or data-roaming abroad! You can guarantee you'll be ripped-off with hideously high fees, upon your return to the UK on your next bill, possibly running into 3 or 4 figures! :eek: There have been horror stories on BBC's WATCHDOG show earlier in 2011 about this, so don't use your iPhone abroad to do anything other than maybe send a few texts.

Pooch

I was in NYC recently and despite there being numerous wifi hotspots, I still had to turn on 3G on occasion to access time out, google maps etc. Suffice to say, my bill was rather hefty.

3G abroad is far too expensive.

Used mine in Ibiza last year on holiday, about the only thing I was accessing the web for was the BBC Sports Football headlines pages (trying to keep an eye on transfers) in the evening.

Bill was £50 higher than normal and I was only there 1 week...

I think my roaming costs are not too bad for calls as is 33p per minute in Europe and 11p per text. But data is £3.06 plus vat per mb!!!
That is over £1500 for what I get for £5 at home. This is O2.

I'm really careful with data charges after the boss of a local car dealership managed to run up £1600 worth of data charges in two days! :eek:

I think my roaming costs are not too bad for calls as is 33p per minute in Europe and 11p per text. But data is £3.06 plus vat per mb!!!
That is over £1500 for what I get for £5 at home. This is O2.

I'm in the states a lot and I always make sure I turn off data as otherwise I would be charged £7.50/MB :eek:

I'm in the states a lot and I always make sure I turn off data as otherwise I would be charged £7.50/MB

Agreed, tricky things.

My son has an HTC phone with 1GB data, but he can't use this abroad - instead he would be charged £12/MB.

Had quite a long look on the Tesco Mobile website. Found all sorts of tariff info, but if they do declare data costs abroad it is very well hidden.

Cheers,

Nigel

Cheapest option is usually just to make sure your phone is unlocked and grab a SIM local to where you are going.

Cheapest option is usually just to make sure your phone is unlocked and grab a SIM local to where you are going.

No, cheapest option is to get off the internet and enjoy the holiday.

Cheers,

Nigel

No, cheapest option is to get off the internet and enjoy the holiday.

Cheers,

Nigel

Of course. But for those who do want some internet access . . .

I found it very useful 2 years ago when on holiday to track the progress of the ash cloud stuff. Still ended up getting stuck for a few days but helpful nonetheless.

Does the 3g kindle work abroad?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom