iPhone 3G Unlocking Benefits !

judethedude

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I have an 8Gb iPhone 3g on an O2 business contract and I am very happy with both the phone and the contract.

However, I would like to know (briefly) what the additional benefits to me would be in unlocking (jailbreaking) my phone and if in any way this would infringe my O2 contract ?

Additionally, will it have any impact on the apps I have already downloaded from the iTunes store and future firmware/software upgrades ?

Thankyou for any helpful advice :smashin:

I have an 8Gb iPhone 3g on an O2 business contract and I am very happy with both the phone and the contract.

However, I would like to know (briefly) what the additional benefits to me would be in unlocking (jailbreaking) my phone and if in any way this would infringe my O2 contract ?

Additionally, will it have any impact on the apps I have already downloaded from the iTunes store and future firmware/software upgrades ?

Thankyou for any helpful advice :smashin:
No it will be fine. Worst comes worst just restore it in iTunes and your back to an original.

Personally some of the apps you get from Cydia after jailbreaking are excellent! MMS, Video Recording and decent themes are just some of them.

Thanks for the post Monopot.

So basically, if I'm not happy with the phone after jailbreaking it, I can return it to the original "shipped" state via iTunes with no signs of the unlock ever have taken place !

Heres the stuff ive done, sure theres more but cant think right now!

Using an app called BiteSMS i can delete individual texts, forward texts, type in landscape and add smileys!

other things i can now do!!!

Copy and paste

Send MMS's

Have 5 icons along the bottom instead of 4

Hide apps i dont use which you cant delete like the stocks app

Create folders and place apps in them for example i have a folder containing all games

I have an app installed so if i swipe across the top of the screen i can quickly toggle things on and off like 3G, Wifi, Bluetooth etc. Theres also a menu in there to reboot, Power off etc.

have custom themes

Thanks for the post Monopot.

So basically, if I'm not happy with the phone after jailbreaking it, I can return it to the original "shipped" state via iTunes with no signs of the unlock ever have taken place !
Yep just do a factory restore from iTunes and no one will ever know :)

Wow, you've now definitely got my attention. Thanks for that daymouse.

I guess the best thing to now do is read through the "3G Unlocking Thread" but, as I'm feeling lazy, what is the simplest most effective method to unlock the 3G iPhone as I'm aware there are several different ways of doing it.

Also, is there any risk that I may turn my phone into a brick in the process ?

Thanks again :smashin:

Last edited:
a. upgrade your firmware to 2.2 via itunes (if you are not, otherwise skip this step)
b. Jailbreak using QuickPwn
c. Setup the link to yellowsn0w (unlock software) thru Cydia
d. Search for yellowsn0w in Cydia (exactly as you do in appstore) & click to install
e. Restart your iPhone

Further instructions for jailbreak (step b.) is here

Steps d. & e. are detailed here

I hope this helps

I guess the best thing to now do is read through the "3G Unlocking Thread" but, as I'm feeling lazy, what is the simplest most effective method to unlock the 3G iPhone as I'm aware there are several different ways of doing it.

Also, is there any risk that I may turn my phone into a brick in the process ?

I used this guide iClarified - iPhone - How to Jailbreak Your iPhone With QuickPwn (Mac) [Updated 2.2]

Basically you download 2 files Quickpwn and a copy of the firmware.

Open itunes and restore your iphone with the firmware you've just downloaded.

Close itunes and open quickpwn and follow the instructions on screen.

Its all in that guide matey

Thanks for the indepth info Suniil & daymouse.

My phone already has the 2.2 firmware so do I still need to install the Pwnage 2.2 firmware ?

I am likely to experience any of the following drawbacks after jailbreaking my phone :

1) Visual Voicemail no longer working
2) O2 Edge connection no longer working
3) Difficulty locking onto network service

I'm sorry if these questions sound dumb and that jailbreaking my phone will add functionality. However, I also don't want to lose any of the functionality that I already have.

Thanks again.

Heres the stuff ive done, sure theres more but cant think right now!

Using an app called BiteSMS i can delete individual texts, forward texts, type in landscape and add smileys!

other things i can now do!!!

Copy and paste

Send MMS's

Have 5 icons along the bottom instead of 4

Hide apps i dont use which you cant delete like the stocks app

Create folders and place apps in them for example i have a folder containing all games

I have an app installed so if i swipe across the top of the screen i can quickly toggle things on and off like 3G, Wifi, Bluetooth etc. Theres also a menu in there to reboot, Power off etc.

have custom themes

DM,

Which package is BiteSMS and the app you use to switch on/off 3g etc as youve described above?

Cheers

Thanks for the indepth info Suniil & daymouse.

My phone already has the 2.2 firmware so do I still need to install the Pwnage 2.2 firmware ?

I am likely to experience any of the following drawbacks after jailbreaking my phone :

1) Visual Voicemail no longer working
2) O2 Edge connection no longer working
3) Difficulty locking onto network service

I'm sorry if these questions sound dumb and that jailbreaking my phone will add functionality. However, I also don't want to lose any of the functionality that I already have.

Thanks again.

I was already on 2.2 but forced the restore to the firmware i had downloaded just to make sure it was definatley the same one as i was using for the jailbreaking process so there were'nt any compatbility issues.

As for your other question it doesnt affect these at all :thumbsup:

Thanks again daymouse.

Last question before I take the plunge.

Will my existing phonebook and apps still be on the phone after the jailbreak/unlock or will they all have to be re-installed ?

Thanks again daymouse.

Last question before I take the plunge.

Will my existing phonebook and apps still be on the phone after the jailbreak/unlock or will they all have to be re-installed ?

Nope they wont be on but as long as you have synced your contacts, calendar etc with itunes tye will be backed up, even texts!

So backup 1st then once you've jailbreaked connect it back up to itunes and it will ask if you want to restore from a previous backup! :thumbsup:

I had a problem with some apps not transffering over but just reinstalled from the apps store and all was fine! (o:

Get it done!!!

I have an app installed so if i swipe across the top of the screen i can quickly toggle things on and off like 3G, Wifi, Bluetooth etc. Theres also a menu in there to reboot, Power off etc. have custom themes

OK, phone is now successfully jailbreaked. Thankyou for all the help :thumbsup:

I've installed Bossprefs but don't have the swipe across the top of the screen toggles for 3G, WiFi etc.... How do I get these ?

Is Winterboard the best software to install for themes ?

OK, phone is now successfully jailbreaked. Thankyou for all the help :thumbsup:

I've installed Bossprefs but don't have the swipe across the top of the screen toggles for 3G, WiFi etc.... How do I get these ?

Is Winterboard the best software to install for themes ?

Uninstall Bossprefs and install SBSettings, made by the same developer just better and newer version.

Winterboard is the only software ive used for themes! Im extremley picky about themes so ive only installed one which is called 'illuminated'

DM,

Which package is BiteSMS and the app you use to switch on/off 3g etc as youve described above?

Cheers

Im not sure what you mean by "Which package is "BiteSMS" but its a text app that alot better than the stock just search 'bite' in cydia and go do to the B's

The app for switching off 3G etc is called SBSettings

You need to install SB Settings.

Excellent, SB Settings now installed, that's just what I wanted. However, for some reason the swipe down menu reports :

HDD Free : 70mb on / 4216 MB on/var Available Memory: 37MB

What does this mean as iTunes states I have almost 4GB of memory available !

Where can I download themes for Winterboard ?

Thanks again.

Excellent, SB Settings now installed, that's just what I wanted. However, for some reason the swipe down menu reports :

Thanks again.
Themes are in Cydia as well.

The free space is the app space I think.

Thanks again.

Ive no idea either wouldnt worry about it!

Grab them in cydia under springboard themes :thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom