Iphone 3G.... Simplicity itself?

MrSynner

Hi everyone.

Can I trouble you good people for some advice? (Flattery gets you anywhere, I find!)

I currently have the original Iphone, running on the Simplicity O2 tarriff.

I would like to upgrade to the 3G phone, but don't fancy a contract, or switching back to PAYG.

So.... Can I buy the PAYG 3G phone, chuck the SIM away, and bung in my Simplicity SIM and activate it without O2 coming a-knocking?

I gather that some Simplicity SIMS aren't 3G (mine doesn't appear to be) but O2 will happily swap it, if I ask.

DenzilTK421

I believe at the very least it would need to be jail broken, but I think it would need to unlocked.

StevieDvd

Novice Member
I think a few members re using the simplicty sim with their iphones. I've toyed with the idea myself.:)

You would not need to jailbreak it or unlock it unless you wanted to.

But as you've stated an updated 3g simplicity sim would be a good idea.

RobM

Distinguished Member
I believe at the very least it would need to be jail broken, but I think it would need to unlocked.

Jailbreaking is not linked to unlocking or the SIM you use in your iPhone, it's a software 'hack'. Jailbreaking allows you to install third-party software from sources other than the AppStore and allows that software access to areas previously restricted by the phones OS.

Named Jailbreaking as you're breaking the phone free from the 'jail' that is Apples restrictive approach to applications on the iPhone.

[email protected]

Hi everyone.

So.... Can I buy the PAYG 3G phone, chuck the SIM away, and bung in my Simplicity SIM and activate it without O2 coming a-knocking?

Yes. As long as it's an O2 one you can bung in any SIM you like. No need for jailbreaking, unlocking, anything else. You might need a newer sim to get 3g but O2 won't 'come knocking' - who do you think they are, the Stasi?

Of course if you want to make it your phone and add some cool apps... then you need to jailbreak it. But that's a separate issue.

johnelf

Standard Member
Sorry to hijack the thread, but two relevant questions:-
If you buy a PAYG IPhone to use wth a simplicity card do you :-

1. Need to activate the Iphone with the new sim in it or activate with your simplicity sim in it ?

I want to take advantage of the 12 months free hotspot wi-fi that comes with the PAYG contract and understand this is carried over if you activate with the new sim or how is this done?

2. Do i need to change any settings on the phone as it will be on a pay monthly type contract rather than PAYG.

Regards All

John :lease:

charvelj

I have recently bought a 2nd hand iphone (which was on contract)

I placed my simplicity sim inside it and it worked straight away without changing any settings to the phone or activiting anything. So i think you will be fine :)

I would personally reccommened the free web bolt on rather than the wi-fi ? surely you will be limiting yourself to the areas that you can use the phone.

johnelf

Standard Member
Hi Charvelj

I have the wi-fi bolt on, on the simplicity account.
I was refering to the years free wi-fi hotspot subscription that comes with it( free using The Cloud & BT Openzone), but think i have this now sorted anyway and most likely will never use it !

John:)

Sharpy76

Distinguished Member
Hi Charvelj

I have the wi-fi bolt on, on the simplicity account.
I was refering to the years free wi-fi hotspot subscription that comes with it( free using The Cloud & BT Openzone), but think i have this now sorted anyway and most likely will never use it !

Hi mate i was a bit curious as to what the outcome was about the 12months free wi-fi as i quite possibly am gonna find myself in the same situation:)

johnelf

Standard Member
Hi Mister T

To be honest, not tried free hot spot wi-fi as yet, as my son is quite happy with the speed of 3G and we have not been out and near an appropriate hot spot either.

In the O2 forums, they say it will work, but you need to first register the phone with the PAYG sim card, then use the simplicity card, others say jst use the PAYG sim card in the hot spot first of all, then once the IMEI number is registered on the system, then you can use the simplicity card thereafter.

I will let you know, when and If I find out.

Works fine otherwise, and so much cheaper than an Iphone contract.

Sharpy76

Distinguished Member
Thanks for the quick reply johnelf,

Im actually waiting to see if theres an announcement on monday as to whether or not a new model is released.

If there is no announcement i most probably will go down the payg route with simplicity sim because as you said its cheaper also your not tied in to contract therefore easier to upgrade if a new one is released 6 months down the line.

Tom`

Thanks for the quick reply johnelf,

Im actually waiting to see if theres an announcement on monday as to whether or not a new model is released.

If there is no announcement i most probably will go down the payg route with simplicity sim because as you said its cheaper also your not tied in to contract therefore easier to upgrade if a new one is released 6 months down the line.

Just buy one anyway, you always have 14 days to return it :thumbsup:

johnelf

Standard Member
Last edited:

johnelf

Standard Member
and should the price go down within 30 days you get the difference back as a cheque

I dont this this is the case with O2? Just CPW perhaps?

Oh just wait till Monday, so much easier!:D

John

voxish

Standard Member
Prices of 2nd hand 3G iPhones have come right down so I've now decided to buy one. I got an O2 simplicity sim for £19.97 pm including the 'unlimited' web bolt-on. I put it in and it activated without any problem then updated to firmware 3.0.

I made a few calls and sent and received some texts to test. Wifi works fine (once I'd figured out that you have to reset the network settings before it will search for new wifi networks).

I had a bit of trouble gettuing online outside wifi - what I did was to go to settings/general/network/cellular data network and changed the cellular data APN from 'idata.o2.co.uk' to 'mobile.o2.co.uk'. Not sure what the username and password should be but I left it at 'vertigo' and 'password' and it seems to work fine.

As for visual voicemail and mms I don't know what the settings should be with the simplicity sim - if anyone knows I'd be grateful...

Zarch

As for visual voicemail and mms I don't know what the settings should be with the simplicity sim - if anyone knows I'd be grateful...
Visual Voicemail doesn't work on the Simplicity SIM, its only available on the true iPhone contracts.

Keano201

Standard Member
I'm not sure if this is the correct thread to ask this question but I figured it was best not to start a new topic.

I'm currently on an iPhone tariff and my contract expires in six months time. Would I be able to join the simplicity tariff once my current contract expires? It sounds like a better deal for me as I would basically be getting the same things minus the visual voicemail (which I can live without).

I'm not sure if this is the correct thread to ask this question but I figured it was best not to start a new topic.

I'm currently on an iPhone tariff and my contract expires in six months time. Would I be able to join the simplicity tariff once my current contract expires? It sounds like a better deal for me as I would basically be getting the same things minus the visual voicemail (which I can live without).

Yes and yes. :smashin:

I've got a 2G iPhone and I'm on the £20pm Simplicity tariff. :smashin:

Prices of 2nd hand 3G iPhones have come right down so I've now decided to buy one.

Where are you finding them? Are these new or 2nd hand?

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: LG C1 OLED + JBL Synthesis SDR-35 First Thoughts, plus TV Show & Disc Reviews & more
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

GREAT! launches entertainment network on 25th May
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
WarnerMedia and Discovery to merge under AT&T deal
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on UK streaming services for June 2021
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Austrian Audio launches Hi-X65 headphones