IPhone 3G and T-Mobile.

shand754

Prominent Member
Reaction score
My wife is midway through a contract with T-Mobile, which doesn't include any data from what I understand. She wants my IPhone 3G, which I am not using now I have the new one, does anyone know if she can add data to her contract and use it using her existing sim?

I have sorted the T-Mobile sim but it won't work with the Iphone and I think its because may be locked to O2. Anyone know how it get it unlocked?

The problem with that is that your sim has to be in the old phone for them to unlock it and my sim will of course be in the new phone. O2 don't seem to be able to offer another solution. Does anyone know if it can be done privately?

buy a pay as u go 02 sim put ÂŁ20 on it then make a couple of calls on it make sure u leave ÂŁ15 on,then follow the above post about unlocking.

The problem with that is that your sim has to be in the old phone for them to unlock it and my sim will of course be in the new phone. O2 don't seem to be able to offer another solution. Does anyone know if it can be done privately?

Yep, iclarified.com has tutorials to unlock them.

Well I thought it was but now although I can pick up 3G I cannot download anything or connect to the internet on it. I assume this is something to do with carrier settings but cannot see a way to update them.

Got these via google from T-Mobile Support UK

Quote:
Under Settings > General > Network > Cellular Data Network, part way down under MMS make sure you have filled in:

APN: general.t-mobile.uk
Username: user
Password: pass
MMSC: http://mmsc.t-mobile.co.uk:8002
MMS Proxy: 149.254.201.135:8080
MMS Max Message Size: 307200
MMS UA Prof URL:

If your contract includes internet you can also use the first three settings above at the top under Cellular Data to enable that.

Thanks, strangely though I don't even have those fields in the settings. Not sure what is going on

Did you upgrade to OS4 ?
The settings are removed in that.

Yes I did. So how can I get them back?

EDIT - Ok i think I understand now. OS4 doesn't allow you to access them manually.

My problem is that I have unlocked the phone, got it working for call and texts on T-Mobile but now although it is picking up 3G its not downloading any data. I assume its because it has not got T-Mobile's carrier settings in the phone. The question is how to get them?

Last edited:
Have you connected the phone to itunes with the tmobile sim in the phone ?
It should offer a carrier update to settings.

Thanks for trying mate but going through that and it keeps giving me the error:

safari could not install a profile due to an unknown error.

Looking on the forums I can't find a solution to that.

So at the moment I am stuck with an Iphone that can't be used for data:confused:

will it not let you do anything

Under Settings > General > Network > Cellular Data Network

APN: general.t-mobile.uk
Username: user
Password: pass
MMSC: http://mmsc.t-mobile.co.uk:8002
MMS Proxy: 149.254.201.135:8080
MMS Max Message Size: 307200
MMS UA Prof URL:

If your contract includes internet you can also use the first three settings above at the top under Cellular Data to enable that.

Right here is where I am:

- I updated my 3G to IOS 4 earlier this week.
- I have unlocked it by jailbreaking it and have it working for calls and texts on a T-Mobile sim that has also been activated with a data package.
- Although I can pick up a 3G network on it I cannot access any data.
- On this thread and reading online I see there is a problem with IOS 4 which does not allow you to access and edit APN settings for cellular data.
- Various fixes linked to on here have not worked for me.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom