• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

iPhone 3 & iOS 4 Problems.

Alfie84

Standard Member
Ok so as you might of guessed I have upgraded me 3g to 4 os only to discover all i can actually do is put things into folders and see all my email accounts...not only that my iphone is now running like a slug! and seems to be getting extra hot on even simple tasks.

I am not enjying the 2 extra I have recived so i would like to downgrade to the preivous updates ( is it 3.1.3?) could anyone help me out here?

Many Thanks

Theydon Bois

Distinguished Member
Please post all your iPhone 3/3GS and OS4i problems here. Thanks.

Lancia34

Distinguished Member
Ok so as you might of guessed I have upgraded me 3g to 4 os only to discover all i can actually do is put things into folders and see all my email accounts...not only that my iphone is now running like a slug! and seems to be getting extra hot on even simple tasks.

I am not enjying the 2 extra I have recived so i would like to downgrade to the preivous updates ( is it 3.1.3?) could anyone help me out here?

Many Thanks

Did you reboot it. After upgrading mine it seemed to run really slowly and then after a reboot it is much quicker than it was before the upgrade.

Alfie84

Standard Member
Thanks Theydon Bois

Lol actually no I hadnt rebooted :blush:

Just tried it and O M G its actually faster than before with 3.1.3!!!! man I feel stupid! but very impressed!

good job apple, sorry for doubting you :smashin:

Thanks Lancia34

RajP

Distinguished Member
That's exactly what I found after the upgrade... but since rebooting it, it feels so much quicker.. the reboot happened as I also installed the Jail break... WHY oh WHY do apple not include the SBSettings as an App... Thats all I want...:rolleyes:

psychopomp1

Prominent Member
Hi

Thinking of upgrading from OS 3.1.3 to OS4 on my 3GS but a little bit scared to so do. On various forums i've read that the signal issue currently affecting iphone4 users is also affecting 3GS users running OS4 which might suggest it is software related rather than hardware related. What's the general consensus regarding this? Yet at the same time some 3GS users are reporting better 3G reception on OS4. I'm confused!:confused:

juniper

Established Member
I upgraded earlier today to OS4, but it has all gone wrong sadly. My phone was previously unlocked and jailbroken, but I am not bothered about that, I was just happy to get OS4. Having done the update via iTunes I get the message "Your SIM is not supported, please insert the original SIM or contact your carrier....." The phone itself will only make emergency calls, everything else is lost....

Everything worked perfectly until I did this. I am on O2 Simplicity. Trying to call O2 today has been rather fruitless. I have tried to do a restore putting the phone into DFU mode, but to no avail. Every time I do this the same message above reappears. I have no idea at all what to do next, so any and all ideas will be gratefully appreciated......thx

gadgetbaby

Established Member
Having issues with my 3G running iOS4 as well (upgrading took and age !). Seems a little sluggish at times although this seems to be getting better over time. My main concern is that it is running HOT, HOT, HOT. Anyone else having this issue ?

For brave or frustrated souls who wish to downgrade Lifehacker have some good step by step instructions.

Enjoying iBooks, Folders and unified inbox though....

coltranekoh

Established Member
Having issues with my 3G running iOS4 as well (upgrading took and age !). Seems a little sluggish at times although this seems to be getting better over time. My main concern is that it is running HOT, HOT, HOT. Anyone else having this issue ?
Yeap, I have the same issue.
Also, sometimes applications like Text or Ipod won't even load!!!

j_s

Established Member
My 3G is slow even after a reboot. I find when typing a text message or entering text generally in Wikipanion, safari etc it's so unresponsive :(

gadgetbaby

Established Member
Kind of good to know we are not alone. I have switched off notifications and wifi when I am out and about, this has lowered the temperature of the phone a bit (still hot). Some of the music on the phone will not currently play, will probably need to do a re-synch I guess...still debating whether to downgrade (I do like the folders though...).

Cactusweasel

Established Member
I definitely have a signal problem on my 3GS running iOS 4.0 - on my way to work this morning, I was experiencing constant dropouts in lower signal areas, where before it was never a problem. Ended up giving up in frustration and going to sleep instead.

Just to confirm this is the stock 4.0 software updated on Monday night, not jailbroken.

psychopomp1

Prominent Member
I definitely have a signal problem on my 3GS running iOS 4.0 - on my way to work this morning, I was experiencing constant dropouts in lower signal areas, where before it was never a problem. Ended up giving up in frustration and going to sleep instead.

Just to confirm this is the stock 4.0 software updated on Monday night, not jailbroken.

Thanks for that. I'll stick to OS 3.1.3 until Apple iron out all the bugs in OS 4.

johnhol

Established Member
Another hot 3GS here....sat playing Monopoly (i know)....

Phone was red hot, once i'd finished and closed all apps then it's cooled down but surely it shouldn't get that hot.

hornet#30

Established Member
Unable to use 3G network after update apparently i'm not the only one according to orange. Status bar ssays i have 3G signal but can't load anything.

Biscuit761

Prominent Member
I have seen that the photo's in the photo library, that is ones I have uploaded not ones taken on the phone, are all pixelated and soft, have also noticed that the phone is running slow - may try a re-boot - how do you do it ?

3G 16gig by the way

Bill

Alfie84

Standard Member
Ok so reporting bck...my 3G has slowed right down again...really unresponsive, apps & safari randomly closing...running very hot, tx messages screen freezing, not happy! I'm downgrading! This is stupid! Were can I download 3.1.2. & 3.1.3?

Glad it's not just me having problems!

plaver

Prominent Member
I'm having problems streaming music via BT to my Nokia headset. No problem before updating to iOS4

I contacted apple support earlier today and they blame the Head set. I thought Apple support were one of the better ones clearly they just as bad as all the others.

gadgetbaby

Established Member
Just a quick update. I have managed to "fix" the overheating issue and poor battery life problems by switching off push email. As I recall this was a problem for OS 3 as well until updates emerged. Your mileage may of course vary..

For those of you who (like me) need reminding on taking care of your battery look here.

If you think your battery is actually borked look here.

Good luck !

Dunwa

Established Member
3G with OS4 running, rebooted frequently. It's very slow and sluggish, anything from text entry to opening a closing apps. Seriously considering downgrading to the previous version. The App folders are fantastic but not worth it for this performance.

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom